View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 It's time to give Case Keenum his due 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Case has earned my respect. Heck, he was darn near perfect Sunday, 20/23, thats pretty damn good. And he knows to look for Kyle in the endzone. I cant believe teams let Kyle get open like that. If we have both Case and Teddy next year, I would bet Case wins the starting job hands down. He also has the respect of his teammates. I know a lot of fans are crazy over Teddy, I am as well, but Case has proved hes more then a backup here. And Im pretty sure his knees are both good.

Holy cow, dude. Ton of respect to you for that admission. I know you're a great fan of Teddy. I'm a fan, too, but I came to your conclusion regarding Keenum about 3 weeks ago. We've just had different timing.

I keep going back to Drew Brees. About the same size. Not undrafted, but not a first-rounder, either. Slow start to his career -- the numbers for Brees' first 25 starts are actually worse than Keenum's. The key for Brees, though, was that he had steadily improving numbers over those 25 games -- Case has, too. Brees found his stride after getting with the right coach in Sean Payton. Keenum seems to have found his magic with Shurmur.

Not saying Case Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But there are a ton of commonalities. Case has 7 games of 100+ passer rating this year, and 5 of the past 6. He's an eyelash from a 100 rating for the year. It's the very definition of a breakout season.

Will it continue? I hope so. And I hope he's wearing The Purple when it does.

Unless his game falls off a cliff, he'd better be wearing Vikings purple next season. If the Vikings don't keep him around after the way he's performed for them this year, I think it will be inexcusable.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:29 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Unless his game falls off a cliff, he'd better be wearing Vikings purple next season. If the Vikings don't keep him around after the way he's performed for them this year, I think it will be inexcusable.

Unless Case chooses to follow Shurmur should he leave for a head coaching job somewhere. Keenum and Bradford have been recognized for their performances and rightfully so, but.the coaching job Shurmur has done is nothing short of amazing. He turned an average QB and a journeyman QB into franchise QBs. Its likethe job Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Shurmurs loss this off-season will be felt more than any of the QBs leaving. Under Shurmur the QB position has pretty much been plug and play with almost no drop off.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 am
Defensive Tackle

MrPurplenGold wrote:
Mothman wrote:

Unless Case chooses to follow Shurmur should he leave for a head coaching job somewhere.

That's a good point and I probably should have phrased my comment, "If the Vikings don't try to keep him around...". Since Keenum will be a free agent, he'll be able to sign any offer he chooses to accept. They could tag him but that might get messy.

Quote:
Keenum and Bradford have been recognized for their performances and rightfully so, but.the coaching job Shurmur has done is nothing short of amazing. He turned an average QB and a journeyman QB into franchise QBs.

He's done a great job of emphasizing their strengths and that's good coaching. He's done the same for the offense as a whole. I confess, I wasn't all that impressed with Shurmur prior to this year, with the Vikings or elsewhere, but I view this as a breakout season for him as well as for Keenum. Shurmur's done an outstanding job.

If he leaves, his replacement will definitely need to be a factor in the QB decision. There's never any stability with our Vikes!

Quote:
Its like the job Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Shurmurs loss this off-season will be felt more than any of the QBs leaving. Under Shurmur the QB position has pretty much been plug and play with almost no drop off.

Maybe he'll stick around but he seems likely to be a hot candidate for a job elsewhere. He'd actually be a good fit in Chicago and I'm guessing that job will be available.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:56 am
Hall of Famer

SIGN KEENUM NOW.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:31 pm
Site Admin

Keenum has zero incentive to sign right now. He could be a free agent QB that just won the super bowl. I think he'll see what the market is like.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I hope we can retain Shurmer and Keenum.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm
Fenrir

The Shurmur/Keenum dynamic is interesting and we've seen our share of one season wonders over the years (in the NFL, not the team). It's pretty crazy that the Vikings went from no options at Qb to arguably too many. I really hope Shurmur doesn't leave, I think he's better suited as an OC but he's bound to get a second chance at a HC job if he wants it.

I'll worry about it in the offseason, right now just enjoying the ride.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 pm
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
Keenum has zero incentive to sign right now. He could be a free agent QB that just won the super bowl. I think he'll see what the market is like.

Maybe.

Or perhaps the Vikings franchise tag him. A $20 million raise is pretty decent incentive.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:06 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Maybe.

Or perhaps the Vikings franchise tag him. A $20 million raise is pretty decent incentive.

My God. June VMB would be thinking December VMB were all drunk with this talk.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

No matter what people think of Case and where ever he ends up next year, I will remember seeing him standing on the sidelines clapping when Bridgewater entered the game. I hope he does well even if it's not with the Vikings. Well, unless we are playing him.

4th Quarter, 0:10 remaining, leading by 1, ball at home team 39, 3rd down & 10 to go,
Win Probability for the Saints: 99.76%.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Maybe.

Lol.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Maybe.

That's possible. Still, I feel he's already got the upper hand in negotiating. It only gets better if they make it to and ideally win the Super Bowl and considering the number of games he has to wait for that to pan out ... a contract right now just seems unlikely to me.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 pm
Hall of Famer

Raptorman wrote:
No matter what people think of Case and where ever he ends up next year, I will remember seeing him standing on the sidelines clapping when Bridgewater entered the game. I hope he does well even if it's not with the Vikings. Well, unless we are playing him.

That was so classy. I'm not prone to sentimentality, but I had a lump in my throat watching that.

Everything I've read indicates that Teddy has actually been a huge help to Case.

This is just an easy team to root for.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:44 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

That was so classy. I'm not prone to sentimentality, but I had a lump in my throat watching that.

Everything I've read indicates that Teddy has actually been a huge help to Case.

:smilevike: Here Here :smilevike:

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:59 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

The comments from both of them show that they both just want to win. Both are being classy as hell. Not something one would expect from two players fighting for the same job. As to Case and how he is doing. I saw an article about how well Blake Bortles has done in December. And I just have a hard time with a three game stretch. So I did some number crunching and looked at some QB's going back to Nov. 12th. Why then? Don't know, just doubled the number from the Bortles article. This is what I came up with.

Code:
            Com   Att   Per    Yards  TD's  Ints  YPA
Keenum      141   194  72.7%   1609    13    4    8.3
Brady       140   207  67.6%   1622    12    5    7.8
Bortles     129   205  62.9%   1490     9    3    7.3
Goff        127   195  65.1%   1473    11    3    7.6
Roeth       172   257  66.9%   1963    16    5    7.2
If someone wants another QB during that time let me know.

4th Quarter, 0:10 remaining, leading by 1, ball at home team 39, 3rd down & 10 to go,
Win Probability for the Saints: 99.76%.

Last edited by Raptorman on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 pm
Strong Safety

With all due respect anybody that wants either
Teddy or Sam over Case has got to be making
an emotional based decision.... period.

Sam looked great for one game against Saints
who weren’t Red hot coming out the gate with
a three headed monster at running back and
A.P. Chasing the HC down the sidelines on
National television.

Teddy has never played as good as Case on
a game by game basis. In fact on deep balls
Teddy often has missed the wide out by yards,
not just feet.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Maybe.

:lol:

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Maybe.

Read the preseason game logs of this year. We were ready to change the entire front office.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

I did too and I keep watching it. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that. Case genuinely looked extatic that Teddy was playing again.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Read the preseason game logs of this year. We were ready to change the entire front office.

I like to do that with the old draft threads. Everyone is so sure that some guy we drafted or failed to draft is the next great player... It cultivates a little humility when one thinks that the worst of our draft picks would turn out to be Gedeon (like I did, and here he is as a rookie starter).

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Good highlight video

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:24 am
Veteran

MrPurplenGold wrote:
Mothman wrote:

Unless Case chooses to follow Shurmur should he leave for a head coaching job somewhere. Keenum and Bradford have been recognized for their performances and rightfully so, but.the coaching job Shurmur has done is nothing short of amazing. He turned an average QB and a journeyman QB into franchise QBs. Its likethe job Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Shurmurs loss this off-season will be felt more than any of the QBs leaving. Under Shurmur the QB position has pretty much been plug and play with almost no drop off.

Agree and I've watched a lot of Shurmur offenses over the years. He never impressed me with the Rams but he has done a he'll of a job with what he's had yo work with this year imo. I wish the vikings had traded for garropolo though. I'd like to see them keep Case and draft one or acquire Cousins or Alex Smith.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 pm
Career Elite Player

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Agree and I've watched a lot of Shurmur offenses over the years. He never impressed me with the Rams but he has done a he'll of a job with what he's had yo work with this year imo. I wish the vikings had traded for garropolo though. I'd like to see them keep Case and draft one or acquire Cousins or Alex Smith.
Easy there, Moneybags, we have the rest of the roster to maintain, too! :lol:

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:18 pm
Veteran

DK Sweets wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

True. I am probably underestimating what Case can get. What do you think they should do this off-season? I guess it depends on how Case plays in the playoffs obviously.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:24 pm
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

True. I am probably underestimating what Case can get. What do you think they should do this off-season? I guess it depends on how Case plays in the playoffs obviously.

I'd use the franchise tag on Keenum. I don't think it's an insult to ask him to prove his great season wasn't a fluke. Nick Foles had a huge year and has never been the same. Deal with him in good faith, though. If he comes back and has another great season, then reward him with a long-term deal. Keenum would get around $22 million, so it's not a bad deal for him. And it works for the Vikings, as they have plenty of cap space next year.

The bigger question, to me, is what happens with Pat Shurmur. He's done a phenomenal job this year. I'm really afraid somebody is going to snatch him up as a head coach.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 am
Veteran

Totally agree. I wonder if they would stay in house if Shurmur leaves? I am more optimistic that he will stay.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 am
Commissioner

I'll say it: postseason Case scares me.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 am
Veteran

dead_poet wrote:

Hate to say it but I agree. He has been mostly great this season. He just needs to play within himself. This defense will keep them in the game if the offense doesn't give opposing teams short fields off turnovers.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:16 am
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
As long as he keeps doing what he has been and doesn't try to win the game by himself, he will be ok. But he even said it is uncharted territory for him, and who knows how he will play.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next