It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Holy cow, dude. Ton of respect to you for that admission. I know you're a great fan of Teddy. I'm a fan, too, but I came to your conclusion regarding Keenum about 3 weeks ago. We've just had different timing.

I keep going back to Drew Brees. About the same size. Not undrafted, but not a first-rounder, either. Slow start to his career -- the numbers for Brees' first 25 starts are actually worse than Keenum's. The key for Brees, though, was that he had steadily improving numbers over those 25 games -- Case has, too. Brees found his stride after getting with the right coach in Sean Payton. Keenum seems to have found his magic with Shurmur.

Not saying Case Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But there are a ton of commonalities. Case has 7 games of 100+ passer rating this year, and 5 of the past 6. He's an eyelash from a 100 rating for the year. It's the very definition of a breakout season.

Will it continue? I hope so. And I hope he's wearing The Purple when it does.

Unless his game falls off a cliff, he'd better be wearing Vikings purple next season. If the Vikings don't keep him around after the way he's performed for them this year, I think it will be inexcusable.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Mothman wrote:

Unless his game falls off a cliff, he'd better be wearing Vikings purple next season. If the Vikings don't keep him around after the way he's performed for them this year, I think it will be inexcusable.

Unless Case chooses to follow Shurmur should he leave for a head coaching job somewhere. Keenum and Bradford have been recognized for their performances and rightfully so, but.the coaching job Shurmur has done is nothing short of amazing. He turned an average QB and a journeyman QB into franchise QBs. Its likethe job Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Shurmurs loss this off-season will be felt more than any of the QBs leaving. Under Shurmur the QB position has pretty much been plug and play with almost no drop off.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
Unless Case chooses to follow Shurmur should he leave for a head coaching job somewhere.
That's a good point and I probably should have phrased my comment, "If the Vikings don't try to keep him around...". Since Keenum will be a free agent, he'll be able to sign any offer he chooses to accept. They could tag him but that might get messy.
Keenum and Bradford have been recognized for their performances and rightfully so, but.the coaching job Shurmur has done is nothing short of amazing. He turned an average QB and a journeyman QB into franchise QBs.
He's done a great job of emphasizing their strengths and that's good coaching. He's done the same for the offense as a whole. I confess, I wasn't all that impressed with Shurmur prior to this year, with the Vikings or elsewhere, but I view this as a breakout season for him as well as for Keenum. Shurmur's done an outstanding job.

If he leaves, his replacement will definitely need to be a factor in the QB decision. There's never any stability with our Vikes!
Its like the job Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Shurmurs loss this off-season will be felt more than any of the QBs leaving. Under Shurmur the QB position has pretty much been plug and play with almost no drop off.
Maybe he'll stick around but he seems likely to be a hot candidate for a job elsewhere. He'd actually be a good fit in Chicago and I'm guessing that job will be available.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

SIGN KEENUM NOW.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Keenum has zero incentive to sign right now. He could be a free agent QB that just won the super bowl. I think he'll see what the market is like.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I hope we can retain Shurmer and Keenum.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The Shurmur/Keenum dynamic is interesting and we've seen our share of one season wonders over the years (in the NFL, not the team). It's pretty crazy that the Vikings went from no options at Qb to arguably too many. I really hope Shurmur doesn't leave, I think he's better suited as an OC but he's bound to get a second chance at a HC job if he wants it.

I'll worry about it in the offseason, right now just enjoying the ride.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote:Keenum has zero incentive to sign right now. He could be a free agent QB that just won the super bowl. I think he'll see what the market is like.
Maybe.

Or perhaps the Vikings franchise tag him. A $20 million raise is pretty decent incentive.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Maybe.

Or perhaps the Vikings franchise tag him. A $20 million raise is pretty decent incentive.
My God. June VMB would be thinking December VMB were all drunk with this talk.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

No matter what people think of Case and where ever he ends up next year, I will remember seeing him standing on the sidelines clapping when Bridgewater entered the game. I hope he does well even if it's not with the Vikings. Well, unless we are playing him.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: My God. June VMB would be thinking December VMB were all drunk with this talk.
Lol.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Maybe.

That's possible. Still, I feel he's already got the upper hand in negotiating. It only gets better if they make it to and ideally win the Super Bowl and considering the number of games he has to wait for that to pan out ... a contract right now just seems unlikely to me.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Raptorman wrote:No matter what people think of Case and where ever he ends up next year, I will remember seeing him standing on the sidelines clapping when Bridgewater entered the game. I hope he does well even if it's not with the Vikings. Well, unless we are playing him.
That was so classy. I'm not prone to sentimentality, but I had a lump in my throat watching that.

Everything I've read indicates that Teddy has actually been a huge help to Case.

This is just an easy team to root for.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: That was so classy. I'm not prone to sentimentality, but I had a lump in my throat watching that.

Everything I've read indicates that Teddy has actually been a huge help to Case.

:smilevike: Here Here :smilevike:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: That was so classy. I'm not prone to sentimentality, but I had a lump in my throat watching that.

The comments from both of them show that they both just want to win. Both are being classy as hell. Not something one would expect from two players fighting for the same job. As to Case and how he is doing. I saw an article about how well Blake Bortles has done in December. And I just have a hard time with a three game stretch. So I did some number crunching and looked at some QB's going back to Nov. 12th. Why then? Don't know, just doubled the number from the Bortles article. This is what I came up with.

Code: Select all

Com   Att   Per    Yards  TD's  Ints  YPA
Keenum		141	194  72.7%	1609	 13	 4	 8.3
Brady		 140	207  67.6%	1622	 12	 5	 7.8
Bortles	  129	205  62.9%	1490	  9	 3	 7.3
Goff	     127	195  65.1%	1473	 11	 3	 7.6
Roeth       172   257  66.9%   1963    16    5    7.2
If someone wants another QB during that time let me know.
Last edited by Raptorman on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966