Playoff scenarios

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Playoff scenarios

Post by S197 »

Can someone help lay this out? The Vikings have secured a home game in the wild card round at bare minimum. Win out, and they have the #2 seed.

What needs to happen for the #1 seed? Do we still have the tiebreaker on Philly?

So long as Saints/Falcons and Rams win their division, Vikings can lose one and retain #2 seed. The only one that appears to be able to spoil that is Carolina.

Is that right? Seems like we need to root for anyone against Philly (obviously) and the falcons. I don't know what beyond that.
DavidKarki
Veteran

Re: Playoff scenarios

Post by DavidKarki »

S197 wrote:Can someone help lay this out? The Vikings have secured a home game in the wild card round at bare minimum. Win out, and they have the #2 seed.

What needs to happen for the #1 seed? Do we still have the tiebreaker on Philly?

So long as Saints/Falcons and Rams win their division, Vikings can lose one and retain #2 seed. The only one that appears to be able to spoil that is Carolina.

Is that right? Seems like we need to root for anyone against Philly (obviously) and the falcons. I don't know what beyond that.

The Saints win the NFC South if they win out. That would render the Carolina loss tiebreaker moot. Given the tiebreakers the Vikings have over the Saints and Rams, they aren't really a threat.

The Vikings need anybody to beat Philly and win out to be #1. If the Saints win out, they can go 1-1 and be #2 seed (as you indicated).

So the #2 seed is the most likely outcome at this point.
--Dave
GO VIKINGS!!!
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

Eagles have to lose their last two games and we have to win our last two games to get the #1 seed. They have the tiebreaker now. If we win out and they only lose one, we have the same record and the same in-conference record. However, they went undefeated in common games while we lost to the Panthers, so they would still have the #1 seed.
Vike Fan 4 Life
Starter

Post by Vike Fan 4 Life »

I thought strength of victory was the tie breaker.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

The only way for the Vikings to get the #1 seed is for the Vikings to win both of their remaining games AND the Eagles to lose both of their remaining games. With that said, the Vikings will likely get the #2 seed, and my bet is the Eagles don't win their first playoff game which in effect would let the Vikings host the NFCC for the first time since 1998.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

NCViking wrote:Eagles have to lose their last two games and we have to win our last two games to get the #1 seed. They have the tiebreaker now. If we win out and they only lose one, we have the same record and the same in-conference record. However, they went undefeated in common games while we lost to the Panthers, so they would still have the #1 seed.
Thanks. #1 seed seems like an unlikely scenario, too bad they won today against the Giants. 1st round bye would still be big.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I believe that if Atlanta wins tomorrow, Green Bay is officially eliminated.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

A first-round bye would be huge for us, given our injuries along the offensive line.

Philly does not want to play our team, I can guarantee you that. Even if they should somehow get to the NFC championship game, we've got to be the favorite now. Without Wentz, they're not the same team. He covered up a lot of sins along that banged-up offensive line with his uncanny ability to avoid the rush.

If our O-line is healthy, we've got as good a chance as anybody to make the Big Game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Vike Fan 4 Life wrote:I thought strength of victory was the tie breaker.
it is
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I believe that if Atlanta wins tomorrow, Green Bay is officially eliminated.

https://gfycat.com/DamagedJointFruitfly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I am a bit confused how we can secure a bye. IF we win both games is it guaranteed? Or 1 game?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The Vikings (11-3) will get the NFC’s No. 1 seed if…

They win their remaining two games (at Green Bay, vs. Chicago) and the Eagles (12-2) lose their final two games (vs. Oakland, vs. Dallas). Philadelphia clinches the NFC’s No. 1 seed with a win against the Raiders next week.

The No. 2 seed if…

They beat the Packers and Bears, securing a first-round bye. If the Vikings go 1-1 in the final two games to finish 12-4, they need to avoid a tie with a potential NFC South-champion Panthers (10-4) team, which owns the head-to-head tiebreaker. The Vikings will win head-to-head ties over the Saints (10-4) and Rams (10-4).

The No. 3 seed if...

They go 1-1 and lose the first-round bye to the Panthers, who need to win out (vs. Tampa, at Atlanta) and have the Saints lose once for Carolina to win its division. Then the 12-win Panthers would leap the Vikings for the NFC’s No. 2 seed. If the Vikings go 0-2 in the final two games, they could be leapt by either the Rams or Saints, who both need to win out for a shot at a first-round bye.

The No. 4 seed if...

They go 0-2 and get leapt in the standings by the Rams and either the Saints or Panthers.

Vikings playoff scenarios: How the Vikings could win the No. 1 seed -- or lose the No. 2 seed
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Can the still get a bye if they lose the last two?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Can the still get a bye if they lose the last two?

Yes, but we would no longer be "in control." We would need other teams to lose in order to maintain the #2 seed.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Vike Fan 4 Life wrote:I thought strength of victory was the tie breaker.
Two Clubs
Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.

Had the Rams beat the Eagles the Vikings would own the tiebreaker.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966