Week 14 Vikings-Panthers Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Week 14 Vikings-Panthers Game Thread

Post by PsyDanny »

S197 wrote: It's that sound you make when you stick tongue at people, like :tongue:

Isn't that the sound that Bill the Cat makes?
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PsyDanny wrote:

Isn't that the sound that Bill the Cat makes?
And Jim, when someone mentions Randy Moss?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: ughhh this is just laughable. Some people just really have zero clue what a bust actually is. Adam Thielen drops two touchdowns today, very quiet about that, but Treadwell drops a 5 yard slant on 3rd and 16 and he's a bust :lol: :lol:
Because we've watched more than one game? :confused:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

soflavike wrote: Because we've watched more than one game? :confused:
And your point? What classifies him as a bust? Has he been given the opportunities? No. Since he’s gotten here he’s been buried on the depth chart DUE to two studs being in front of him. Not because of lack of skill, route running, speed, etc. Its obvious. But since he isn’t putting up first round pick numbers, some fans label him a bust.

When it’s all laid on the line, that does NOT classify him as a bust. You can’t classify a player as a bust due to little opportunity and having two legitimate WRs in front of him. Period. Not sure why some fans can’t see that. Ponder is a bust. Started many games and was awful. Troy Williamson, same seal. Treadwell hasn’t started or if he has, it’s only been a couple games. So when he doesn’t get the opportunity to start at either the #1 or #2 spot, it’s pretty hard to perform. When he was in two games this year, he went 7 for 79 yards which is solid. It’s not like when he’s given opportunity he’s playing bad and dropping balls. Outside of that he’s gotten next to no opportunity. In turn, that doesn’t warrant him being a bust nor does it define what a bust is.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
ughhh this is just laughable. Some people just really have zero clue what a bust actually is. Adam Thielen drops two touchdowns today, very quiet about that, but Treadwell drops a 5 yard slant on 3rd and 16 and he's a bust :lol: :lol:
I think from 1st round pick expectations one could say he has been a bust so far. Really, only 1 reception last year? And not that many this year. You make the excuse he hasn't gotten the opportunities, well maybe because he hasn't shown that he is better than the players in front of him. But when a player is drafted 1st round (especially a running back or wide receiver) people expect them to contribute pretty much right away and it's been almost 2 years now. We just haven't seen any 1st round pick worthy play out of him yet. So at this point, from a 1st round pick prospective, I would say he has been a bust so far. Doesn't mean he has been a total bust, just not up to or even close to expectations.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Knoxx wrote:I think DeadPoet is just complaining about the differences in the two rules in frustration. I knew the refs got the call right and even said so at the time but a knee down is a knee down.
Yeah, more than likely just from frustration. But they are 2 totally different situations. One where the player has control of the ball before crossing the goal line and the other where he hasn't gotten control of the ball yet (according to the rule).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple Reign wrote: Yeah, more than likely just from frustration. But they are 2 totally different situations. One where the player has control of the ball before crossing the goal line and the other where he hasn't gotten control of the ball yet (according to the rule).
Yes, I was just frustrated with what appears to be a bit of a contradiction.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Yes, I was just frustrated with what appears to be a bit of a contradiction.
What gets me about the Thielen non-catch is pretty basic ... any monkey could see that he caught the ball. But the rules say otherwise.

It's like that non-catch Dez Bryant had against the Pukers in the playoffs a few years back. Or when Megatron caught the ball against the Bears and let it go on his way to standing back up, and they called it no catch. The NFL still doesn't have the rule right. They need to use the "25 Drunk Guys Test." Any time 25 drunk dudes in a bar can see it's a catch, and the rules say it's not a catch ... the rule needs to be fixed.

And before the advent of replay, we'd have been celebrating a touchdown. I guess replay is good overall, but then again, where is replay when a touchdown is called back because of a penalty. If they automatically review all scoring plays, then maybe they ought to review ALL scoring plays ... including those that are called back. Because many of those penalties end up being bogus.

Finally, Zimmer said today in his press conference that the league still hasn't gotten back to him on the 10 questionable plays he turned in for review from LAST week. It's clear the NFL isn't serious about cleaning up officiating mistakes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What is funny is if you go back to many of Cris Carter's catches, many of them would be disallowed in today's game.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:
I think from 1st round pick expectations one could say he has been a bust so far. Really, only 1 reception last year? And not that many this year. You make the excuse he hasn't gotten the opportunities, well maybe because he hasn't shown that he is better than the players in front of him. But when a player is drafted 1st round (especially a running back or wide receiver) people expect them to contribute pretty much right away and it's been almost 2 years now. We just haven't seen any 1st round pick worthy play out of him yet. So at this point, from a 1st round pick prospective, I would say he has been a bust so far. Doesn't mean he has been a total bust, just not up to or even close to expectations.
Ok but that is what I’m saying, do you realize how ridiculously well Treadwell would need to perform in order to pass Diggs or AT??? He’d literally have to play out of his mind. But how is he suppose to do that getting somewhere around the 4th most targets each week??? It’s not realistic when those two are on the field. Plus Rudy. Laquon is at least a number two on most teams but this team has two stud WRs and a stud TE. You can’t perform a whole lot when you’re getting two targets a game because of who’s in front of you. That’s what many fans don’t see.

A BUST is a player who gets plenty of opportunities at starting and either doesn’t perform or plays really bad (Ponder, Williamson, etc) He’s gotten/done neither of those. That’s why he doesn’t classify as a bust IMO. You just can’t give him that label. It’s not realistic given what has happened since he got here
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Ok but that is what I’m saying, do you realize how ridiculously well Treadwell would need to perform in order to pass Diggs or AT??? He’d literally have to play out of his mind. But how is he suppose to do that getting somewhere around the 4th most targets each week??? It’s not realistic when those two are on the field. Plus Rudy. Laquon is at least a number two on most teams but this team has two stud WRs and a stud TE. You can’t perform a whole lot when you’re getting two targets a game because of who’s in front of you. That’s what many fans don’t see.

A BUST is a player who gets plenty of opportunities at starting and either doesn’t perform or plays really bad (Ponder, Williamson, etc) He’s gotten/done neither of those. That’s why he doesn’t classify as a bust IMO. You just can’t give him that label. It’s not realistic given what has happened since he got here
I didn't call him a total bust, I qualified by saying compared to 1st round pick expectations IMO he is a bust so far. You earn game time by proving yourself in practice. He was a 1st round pick for a reason and he hasn't shown any reason why he should have been a #1 pick yet (again IMO). Quit making excuses for him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote: I didn't call him a total bust, I qualified by saying compared to 1st round pick expectations IMO he is a bust so far. You earn game time by proving yourself in practice. He was a 1st round pick for a reason and he hasn't shown any reason why he should have been a #1 pick yet (again IMO). Quit making excuses for him.
They arent excuses. Name me a first round WR in the last 3 years that could come in right now and play over Thielen and Diggs.....

Either our WRs are that good, or every first round WR in the last 3 years has been a bust. I'll take the former. Whether he was a first round pick or plucked off the street, he still had Thielen and Diggs in front of him. And in order to surpass them right now, you literally need to play out of your mind. Sounds extremely unrealistic
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Purple Reign wrote: I didn't call him a total bust, I qualified by saying compared to 1st round pick expectations IMO he is a bust so far. You earn game time by proving yourself in practice. He was a 1st round pick for a reason and he hasn't shown any reason why he should have been a #1 pick yet (again IMO). Quit making excuses for him.
PR, your argument is sound. The fact that he hasn't lived up to expectations is obvious to most fans. It's really laughable that some fans cant see that. PHP, your argument here is sooooo weak its laughable. He hasnt really shown much at all to even justify his #3 role, probably why his snap count has been on the downhill slide since week 7.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Alaskan wrote:

PR, your argument is sound. The fact that he hasn't lived up to expectations is obvious to most fans. It's really laughable that some fans cant see that. PHP, your argument here is sooooo weak its laughable. He hasnt really shown much at all to even justify his #3 role, probably why his snap count has been on the downhill slide since week 7.
Think what you want dude. Pretty hard to "live up to expectations" when you have two of the better WRs in the NFL in front of you. I actually look into the details of WHY and HOW. Opposite of what you're doing. By what you said above, you dont care or take into consideration what went on in front of him when he got here his rookie year. Thats what laughable. You just think "well he's a first round pick so he should've automatically made an impact". Not how it works.

Again, and please....answer this question. What does Laquon Treadwell currently have to do to surpass either Thielen or Diggs?? Do you understand what level of performance he would need? Better yet, like I said before, name me one first round WR in the last 3 YEARS that would currently start over Thielen or Diggs given their recent play?? They must all be busts too?? I'll wait......

But like I have said in my last post.....here is a fan that is coming out saying Treadwell is a bust.....but provided zero backing behind it. Other than his snap count dipping after week 7.....OBVIOUSLY...Diggs came back week 8. :confused:

Where did he get all these golden opportunities that Diggs and AT got because they sure didnt have two studs in front of them?? When he is out there is he playing "poorly"? Is he dropping balls?? Is he not getting separation?? Is he not being physical enough?? I just answered all those questions in another thread.

Troy Williamson was a bust. So he must be comparable to Laquon Treadwell right?? Because if Treadwell falls into the bust category for you, obviously Williamson does. So I guess they are comparable?? Please, enlighten me
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Think what you want dude. Pretty hard to "live up to expectations" when you have two of the better WRs in the NFL in front of you. I actually look into the details of WHY and HOW. Opposite of what you're doing. By what you said above, you dont care or take into consideration what went on in front of him when he got here his rookie year. Thats what laughable. You just think "well he's a first round pick so he should've automatically made an impact". Not how it works.

Again, and please....answer this question. What does Laquon Treadwell currently have to do to surpass either Thielen or Diggs?? Do you understand what level of performance he would need? Better yet, like I said before, name me one first round WR in the last 3 YEARS that would currently start over Thielen or Diggs given their recent play?? They must all be busts too?? I'll wait...... since my argument is "so weak."

But like I have said in my last post.....here is a fan that is coming out saying Treadwell is a bust.....but provided zero backing behind it. Other than his snap count dipping after week 7.....OBVIOUSLY...Diggs came back week 8. :lol:

Where did he get all these golden opportunities that Diggs and AT got because they sure didnt have two studs in front of them?? When he is out there is he playing "poorly"? Is he dropping balls?? Is he not getting separation?? Is he not being physical enough?? I just answered all those questions in another thread.

Troy Williamson was a bust. So he must be comparable to Laquon Treadwell right?? Because if Treadwell falls into the bust category for you, obviously Williamson does. So I guess they are comparable?? Please, enlighten me
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... counts.htm

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1

You can sift through these links if you want.

An arguemnt can be made for Michaell Thomas and Tyreek Hill to start over Diggs. There are others as well, just look for yourself.

I am not going to argue with you on this. My position on this subject has been stated above. Up to this point Laqun Treadwell (1st rd) has NOT lived up to expectations, period! If you want to defend a 1st round pick that has 17 receptions for 184 yards and no touchdowns in nearly 2 seasons and is 3rd or 4th or 5th on the depth chart behind guys undrafted (Theilen), 5th rd (Diggs) and now it appears to me, by looking at snap counts since week 8, he is losing snaps to Wright (4th rd) and Floyd (2nd rd) as well.........I will sit back and laugh at you like the rest of the rational people on this board.

I am a Treadwell fan, I have high hopes of him, but he has done nothing up to this point. Its early to label him a total bust, but he's on his way unless something changes dramatically.