Week 14 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 14 Reaction Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Really sucks.

We've grown accustomed to the Vikings NOT doing the things they did today.

• 5 drops, including two consecutive in the end zone by Thielen.
• Untimely penalties -- two consecutive facemasks.
• Poor play coming out of the locker room at halftime.
• Missed tackles.
• Interceptions.
• Getting absolutely gashed in the running game.

And still we had this game tied after trailing by 11 late. Lot of fight in this team. Unfortunately, we beat ourselves.

The injuries along the offensive line are very disconcerting. Elflein missing this game really hurt the team. If Reiff is out for any length of time, it's going to be tough. I get so tired of our team always losing its offensive linemen. Especially true this season ... they're really good when they're all healthy, and we have good depth. Just hard to overcome the loss of 3 out of 5 starters.

Cam is a TERRIBLE passer. Wow. I'd actually welcome facing the Panthers in the playoffs, especially at home.

Onward and upward. Let's get better at home against a pretty bad Bengals team.
I'm glad you said that about Cam because I have always felt the same way. IMO, he's one of the most overrated QBs in the game today. No less I cant stand his antics. His career completion percentage is around 58% which is awful. He has no touch or accuracy on a lot of his passes. He just throws it as hard as he can and hopes someone comes down with it. Has a 17:12 TD to INT ratio which isnt great. But he can run so he's good :roll: Give me a break
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It was ugly. Guys couldn't hold on to the ball (which resulted in an INT in one case), we missed the offensive line starters a *lot* and it really goes to show just how important that is in general and was last year. This team could have easily been a Super Bowl contender last year had the line held up. How about that first bomb from Case? That was uggggllly. It really goes to enforce the view that his long ball is awful.

The defense was ugly against the run. Seemed like they spent quarters 1-3 selling out to stop Cam at the expense of other players. Then when they stopped doing that Cam burned them. Of course those face mask penalties didn't help. The sack going away especially hurt.

We really need our offensive line healthy down the stretch. We are not a super bowl caliber team without them - especially Elflein. The running game was basically nothing with the injuries to the oline.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'm glad you said that about Cam because I have always felt the same way. IMO, he's one of the most overrated QBs in the game today. No less I cant stand his antics. His career completion percentage is around 58% which is awful. He has no touch or accuracy on a lot of his passes. He just throws it as hard as he can and hopes someone comes down with it. Has a 17:12 TD to INT ratio which isnt great. But he can run so he's good :roll: Give me a break
I'd be more worried about the Rams or Eagles or Saints in the playoffs than Carolina because they have actual passers at quarterback (well, the Eagles did). Cam got the benefit of a lot of bad play by the Vikings yesterday, in the form of untimely penalties, missed gap assignments, and Vikings drops. He was terrible except for two plays ... the touchdown to Funchess and the long run at the end of the game. Otherwise, Cam was awful. Talk about ball placement -- Cam misses the area code.

But hey, he's the 2015 MVP, so there you go.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did the Vikings get any turnovers?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Also, how did Carolina get the ball back so quick after their last TD?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

OL injuries are my biggest concern going forward.

They laid an egg. Statistically when a team plays three road games in a row, the 3rd one often is a disaster. We just had ours. It happens. Like someone above said: WR making uncharacteristic mistakes, the Defense blowing gap integrity, Facemask penalties, etc. are all things that an opposing team cannot replicate. We beat ourselves in Charlotte.

Consider that we gave up 3 turnovers yesterday, yet we were maybe 3 plays from winning.
If Rudolph catches that seam route in the first half it is probably 3 points. If Thielen doesn't drop the first pass in the red zone (which he normally doesn't do) that is 6 points. Those two alone win the game. One of the picks was off of a poor play by Diggs. There are more. Even Romo talked about it, how the game was about 2-3 plays.

Let's see if they can right the ship on Sunday. The silver lining is that with both ATL and CAR winning yesterday it is going to be even harder for the Packers to make the playoffs. They are going to be competing against ATL, CAR, and either SEA or LAR for the spots. DET is in the mix also. Packers are on the outside looking in. They also need to play us again.

@The guy saying our run defense bad: Through 12 games the Vikings D had not allowed a single 100 yard rusher, and that collection includes Bell in Pittsburgh. We played poorly yesterday, but we are not a bad defense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:OL injuries are my biggest concern going forward.

They laid an egg. Statistically when a team plays three road games in a row, the 3rd one often is a disaster. We just had ours. It happens. Like someone above said: WR making uncharacteristic mistakes, the Defense blowing gap integrity, Facemask penalties, etc. are all things that an opposing team cannot replicate. We beat ourselves in Charlotte.

Consider that we gave up 3 turnovers yesterday, yet we were maybe 3 plays from winning.
If Rudolph catches that seam route in the first half it is probably 3 points. If Thielen doesn't drop the first pass in the red zone (which he normally doesn't do) that is 6 points. Those two alone win the game. One of the picks was off of a poor play by Diggs. There are more. Even Romo talked about it, how the game was about 2-3 plays.

Let's see if they can right the ship on Sunday. The silver lining is that with both ATL and CAR winning yesterday it is going to be even harder for the Packers to make the playoffs. They are going to be competing against ATL, CAR, and either SEA or LAR for the spots. DET is in the mix also. Packers are on the outside looking in. They also need to play us again.

@The guy saying our run defense bad: Through 12 games the Vikings D had not allowed a single 100 yard rusher, and that collection includes Bell in Pittsburgh. We played poorly yesterday, but we are not a bad defense.
Let's be real here.

We gave up 122 rushing yards on two plays. The rest of the game, we gave up 94 yards on 34 carries (2.8 YPA), and 137 yards passing. Cam had a 64 passer rating. This was not like they were gashing us repeatedly, and don't tell me our defense stinks because of this game.

You're right. This loss came down to a handful of plays. We didn't make them. It sucks, but one loss does not spell doom for the season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I'd be more worried about the Rams or Eagles or Saints in the playoffs than Carolina because they have actual passers at quarterback (well, the Eagles did). Cam got the benefit of a lot of bad play by the Vikings yesterday, in the form of untimely penalties, missed gap assignments, and Vikings drops. He was terrible except for two plays ... the touchdown to Funchess and the long run at the end of the game. Otherwise, Cam was awful. Talk about ball placement -- Cam misses the area code.

But hey, he's the 2015 MVP, so there you go.
Exactly so everyone still crowns him like he's an MVP. Not anymore. Far from it. Like I said, he's overrated and I'm sick of his antics and dancing around like an idiot. I really hope we meet them again at our place in the playoffs and hand him a beating
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly so everyone still crowns him like he's an MVP. Not anymore. Far from it. Like I said, he's overrated and I'm sick of his antics and dancing around like an idiot. I really hope we meet them again at our place in the playoffs and hand him a beating
And yet ... Good Morning Football declared the Panthers the "scariest" team in the playoff picture. Why? Because other than Drew Brees, they say, Cam is the best quarterback left playing among likely playoff teams in the NFC.

It sucks. Good Morning Football, I mean. I really like that show normally (mostly because I'm in love with Kay Adams, but I digress). Knock on them today.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:OL injuries are my biggest concern going forward.

Well said! There are a lot of fans out there freaking out thinking a collapse is coming, so on and so forth. I dont buy it. We lost a road game by 7 to an 8-4 team and fans are acting like the world is ending. The only thing concerning to me is Reiff. Maybe Forbath a bit but Reiff mostly. I think Elflein is back. Hill at RT is tolerable. Reiff is a massive blow because it changes up our entire front.

And like I said before regarding our defense, I get so sick of hearing fans say "Great/Elite defense just dont play like that". YES THEY DO. The 2000 Ravens gave up 36 points to the Jags in week 2. Brunell threw for 386 and Jimmy Smith had 15 catches for 291 and 3 TDs. NOBODY has came anywhere near that against this defense. So please, spare me with that argument because it's not true that elite defense dont play like that so stop saying it!!!
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: And yet ... Good Morning Football declared the Panthers the "scariest" team in the playoff picture. Why? Because other than Drew Brees, they say, Cam is the best quarterback left playing among likely playoff teams in the NFC.

It sucks. Good Morning Football, I mean. I really like that show normally (mostly because I'm in love with Kay Adams, but I digress). Knock on them today.
Cam is the best QB other than Brees :lol: :lol: I take Goff, Ryan, Wilson and Keenum all over that bum.

Side note: Kay Adams is the love of my life so keep your hands off!!
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Reiff is a huge concern, hopefully it is a short term deal. If they implode against CIN then it is time to panic.

Wentz going down is interesting. Everyone is saying Foles will be this great thing, but we shall see.

Kapp I wasn't arguing for the guys beating down on our defense. I was agreeing that one bad game does not equal a crisis.

PIT looked vulnerable last night. Their defense is not nearly as fast without #50. They are going to have problems against teams that cna get to the edge and defense their passing attack.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Let's be real here.

We gave up 122 rushing yards on two plays. The rest of the game, we gave up 94 yards on 34 carries (2.8 YPA), and 137 yards passing. Cam had a 64 passer rating. This was not like they were gashing us repeatedly, and don't tell me our defense stinks because of this game.

You're right. This loss came down to a handful of plays. We didn't make them. It sucks, but one loss does not spell doom for the season.
Panthers was 5-15 on 3rd down. Which isn't to good.
It's the 2 big plays that hurt us...Was that because missed assignments or missed tackles.
Early on the facemask penalties also hurt us.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

It's confirmed. Torn ACL for Wentz
-Chazz Palminteri
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

808vikingsfan wrote:Not one holding penalty in this game. Has this ever happened before?
I wondered about this too. How was there no holding penalties with two very good defensive fronts playing?

Also, just an observation on Treadwell:

2016 NFL WR Draft picks 2017 stats
Pick # 15 Corey Coleman.......20-268-2
Pick # 21 Will Fuller.............20-352-7
Pick # 22 Josh Doctson.........27-388-5
Pick # 23 Laquon Treadwell...17-184-0