It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by mansquatch »

I said this in the Teddy thread: Case IS putting up numbers that will likely tickle a 4,000 yard season when it is all said and done. Note that this is on 14/1/2 games. He didn't play the 1st half against CHI, and he didn't play in week 1. You might even argue it is 13 1/2 games since the game vs. PIT he wasn't taking full practice snaps and was coming in as a true backup.

Additionally, this week is the last game of the season against a statistically tough defense, so barring some serious stupidity on his part or some crazy uncharacteristic mistakes by our WR, it is highly likely he'll be a single digit INT QB when it is all said and done.

TLDR Version: He is playing like an MVP caliber QB. Use your eyes and watch him play instead of relying on old stats with other teams and over inflated media blowhards.

Also, look not only at the record, but the quality of the wins. We are not winning games on luck or with last minute heroics. How many games have we had this season where it felt like it could go either way? maybe 2 or 3? That is the sign of a truly elite team and not a wanna be. Keenum is a big part of the offensive part of that equation.

The bottom line is Case IS doing it. We hoped leading into 2016 that Teddy MIGHT be able to do it. Why one would trade hope for reality is beyond me?

FWIW, I hope they make Pat Shurmer the highest paid OC in the league. Whatever they are doing, this coaching staff has found a winning formula and winning group of guys. They need to keep it together.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

It seems like the stance that Bridgewater would come in and kill it is predominately speculative, some basis on a handful of statistics from two years ago, so it would be no less valid than the stance that he would come in and play poorly.

Okay so he's never had the offensive line, coordinator, talent, etc., etc., like he would have this year. That's all definitely true, but that doesn't just make him throw 350 yards and four touchdowns. If Bridgewater came in Sunday and threw three picks and otherwise looked lost, the only argument those in his corner could fall back on is the one that they used to elevate him to automatic success. "Well he only played so poorly because he's not used to this coordinator, talent, offensive line." You'd end up having to circle back around to justify any bad performance he puts in.

I lurk around here and Daily Norsemen and various other places during the season, and being more of an outsider looking in when it comes to the discussion about Bridgewater, there seems to be a definite blurring of the line between him being a good man and a good player. Not that it means anything to y'all, but my brother and I call it the Honorable Man Syndrome. Because H.M. Bridgewater works hard, gives his time back to the community, has a great personality, says all the right things, and Zimmer really likes him, it is perceived that that automatically translates onto the field.

When I see things like "It isn't fair to say Bridgewater..", whether or not my position means anything to anyone, I feel that it validates the blurring of the line I continue to see. Fair doesn't play in discussions like this, to me, anyway.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:If Case Keenum screws this up, I will admit I was wrong.
I wouldn't admit anything because even if he screws it up somehow, that doesn't take away from what he's accomplished. You could make a real argument that he's been the best QB in the NFL this year. Not the best QB on the Vikings - in the whole NFL.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote: Russel Wilson may have something to say about that.
I agree. Case is doing well but he's not alone, either in terms of the MVP or in terms of the overall success of his team. There seem to be a few players who make compelling arguments to be the MVP at this point.

With that said, it doesn't matter if Case gets MVP, and to be honest, I don't think he will sniff it in the end. Not because he doesn't merit serious consideration, but more because he lacks the name recognition and past successes of the guys he'll be up against.

Now, win a Superbowl (and better yet, win it convincingly), and that conversation will change in a hurry.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote: I wouldn't admit anything because even if he screws it up somehow, that doesn't take away from what he's accomplished. You could make a real argument that he's been the best QB in the NFL this year. Not the best QB on the Vikings - in the whole NFL.

After watching Brees, Stafford, and Ryan x2, It would be tough to argue. Except for Wilson and Wentz, I have yet to watch another QB that I've been really impressed with this year.

Although, it doesn't mean Case can't play better. If he starts hitting those big opportunities (missed Thielen twice vs ATL for TDs), the Vikings would be almost unstoppable.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Brees is having an outstanding year. Brady is too, as usual. I would put Case in top 5 for the year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Brees is having an outstanding year. Brady is too, as usual. I would put Case in top 5 for the year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I thought the crew on Good Morning Football put it really well.

If this were the Heisman Trophy, Case Keenum would be invited to the Downtown Athletic Club. He might not win the trophy, but he'd definitely be a finalist. I think that's fair.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
hardrock
Waterboy

Post by hardrock »

Hello, guys, This is my first post, however , I've been around a while. This is a great board and a lot of FB knowledge. I'm a Sam fan and I wish the best for all three QB's.

How long has it been since the Vikings have been 11-3? Case deserves his day and even talk about either Teddy or Sam replacing him is really surprising.

He needs to know that a down game will not be his end. He has proved that he is the QB now and in the future because, IMO he has earned the right on the field. Who has done better?

:appl:

Great board!
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

No doubt he deserves his due. He has played well
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I will be honest I wanted Sam as our starter for the future.

He was way better QB than Teddy

If I were the GM I would move on from Teddy
and Sam I don’t think either could stay healthy
for a season.

I would draft a back up and or someone to
compete for future starting spot1-3 years
down the road.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

jackal wrote:I will be honest I wanted Sam as our starter for the future.

He was way better QB than Teddy

If I were the GM I would move on from Teddy
and Sam I don’t think either could stay healthy
for a season.

I would draft a back up and or someone to
compete for future starting spot1-3 years
down the road.
I too was a Bradford fan and wanted him as our starter. He showed what he could do before he was injured. Now I am a Keenan fan. I do think we need to move on from Bradford. He just can't do it. Too fragile, he'll never get a team through a Superbowl. Bridgwater I'm not ready to let go of yet. At this point Case is the guy for me and for next year at least to see if he's for real or just a one season wonder. Teddy needs to be ready for next year just in case. But I do support whole heartedly looking at a QB next year if there are any worth taking. If Case is a one year wonder and Teddy can't cut it I don't want us completely floundering and wishing we had a QB again. It's been a long hard haul on that front and I don't want to see it continue.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Case has earned my respect. Heck, he was darn near perfect Sunday, 20/23, thats pretty damn good. And he knows to look for Kyle in the endzone. I cant believe teams let Kyle get open like that. If we have both Case and Teddy next year, I would bet Case wins the starting job hands down. He also has the respect of his teammates. I know a lot of fans are crazy over Teddy, I am as well, but Case has proved hes more then a backup here. And Im pretty sure his knees are both good.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Case has earned my respect. Heck, he was darn near perfect Sunday, 20/23, thats pretty damn good. And he knows to look for Kyle in the endzone. I cant believe teams let Kyle get open like that. If we have both Case and Teddy next year, I would bet Case wins the starting job hands down. He also has the respect of his teammates. I know a lot of fans are crazy over Teddy, I am as well, but Case has proved hes more then a backup here. And Im pretty sure his knees are both good.
Holy cow, dude. Ton of respect to you for that admission. I know you're a great fan of Teddy. I'm a fan, too, but I came to your conclusion regarding Keenum about 3 weeks ago. We've just had different timing.

I keep going back to Drew Brees. About the same size. Not undrafted, but not a first-rounder, either. Slow start to his career -- the numbers for Brees' first 25 starts are actually worse than Keenum's. The key for Brees, though, was that he had steadily improving numbers over those 25 games -- Case has, too. Brees found his stride after getting with the right coach in Sean Payton. Keenum seems to have found his magic with Shurmur.

Not saying Case Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But there are a ton of commonalities. Case has 7 games of 100+ passer rating this year, and 5 of the past 6. He's an eyelash from a 100 rating for the year. It's the very definition of a breakout season.

Will it continue? I hope so. And I hope he's wearing The Purple when it does.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Just to throw "another log on the fire":

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/12/1 ... m-its-time

Keenum has expressed a desire to stay in Minnesota
We’d love to stay,” Case says.
“We would,” Kimberly echoes.
“The first six or eight months we’ve been here, it’s been great,” Case says. “We understand how the NFL works, but we love it here. We love the city, love the people here, love the organization.”

And why wouldn’t they.
Keenum has had easily the best season of his pro career. Here is where he ranks in key QB metrics after week 15:

Completion %: 67.9% (2nd)
Passer Rating: 98.9 (tied 7th)
ANY/A: 7.19 (7th)
INT %: 1.6% (tied 5th lowest)
Sack %: 3.83% (5th)
All of those metrics also exceed Tom Brady’s career averages, despite Keenum playing on a new team, with unfamiliar receivers, and a new scheme.
Since the bye week, he also is ahead of Brady in every meaningful statistic except total passing yardage. Keenum has 1609 vs Brady's 1622 (a mere thirteen yard differential).

(More info at the link)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!