Week 13 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 13 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I love how brash Everson Griffen is.
Everson Griffen and the Minnesota Vikings were not able to get to Matt Ryan for a sack on Sunday in the win over the Atlanta Falcons, but they did put a ton of pressure on him and disrupted the flow of their balanced offense.

The veteran defensive end said after the game that they were afraid to test the Vikings defense.

“If they’re scared to throw the ball down the field, then they’re not going to score so many points,” Griffen said, via the Pioneer Press. “They were scared of our rush. We affected him. We didn’t get any sacks, but we affected him in many ways. We got pressure in his face. We hit him. So that’s all you can ask.

“If they can’t throw the ball down the field, they can’t score no points. When we did get (the Falcons) in third-and-long situations, we were able to rush, and we affected them.”
Article.

Reminds me of Clubber Lang in Rocky III.

Interviewer: "Do you hate Matt Ryan?"

Griffen: "No, I don't hate Matt Ryan. I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what I got!"
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

15 plays, 89 yards, 8 minutes and 15 second drive to end the third and start the 4th quarter that ended with 7 points. After that drive I sat back and thought, "Jesus Christ, the Vikings are legitimate contenders."
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

One more fun tidbit from the game against Atlanta.

Before the game, the Falcons honored Morten Andersen, the guy who infamously kicked the Vikings out of the Super Bowl in the 1998 NFC Championship Game. I guess they were trying to spook the Vikings or something by bringing up horrible memories of the painful miss by Gary Anderson, who had been perfect through the entire season.

The irony, of course, is that Matt Bryant -- perfect on field goals between 40 and 40 yards going into the game -- missed a crucial 45-yarder with 5 minutes to play. The Falcons never got the ball back.

Karma is a beyotch, ain't it?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:One more fun tidbit from the game against Atlanta.

Before the game, the Falcons honored Morten Andersen, the guy who infamously kicked the Vikings out of the Super Bowl in the 1998 NFC Championship Game. I guess they were trying to spook the Vikings or something by bringing up horrible memories of the painful miss by Gary Anderson, who had been perfect through the entire season.

The irony, of course, is that Matt Bryant -- perfect on field goals between 40 and 40 yards going into the game -- missed a crucial 45-yarder with 5 minutes to play. The Falcons never got the ball back.

Karma is a beyotch, ain't it?
Skol.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The MNF game was disgusting and an embarrassment. Can't the head coaches control their players? Every game between the Steelers and the Bengals or Browns, it's the same thing. Steelers and the Bengals are dirty teams.

I hope Shazier fully recovers but it was bound to happen.

Ryan Shazier playoff hit on Giovani Bernard now illegal
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:The MNF game was disgusting and an embarrassment. Can't the head coaches control their players? Every game between the Steelers and the Bengals or Browns, it's the same thing. Steelers and the Bengals are dirty teams.

I hope Shazier fully recovers but it was bound to happen.

Ryan Shazier playoff hit on Giovani Bernard now illegal
The play where Shazier was hurt was not dirty. What you linked to was from last year. But I agree, the dirty plays get old.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

My "funniest stat after week 13": The winningest QB in the history of Buffalo's stadium in this millennium? Tom Brady! His 15 or so wins there are more than any Buffalo QB in the last 17 years! That's a pretty incompetent franchise.

I once again repeat that the Vikings remain the only team in NFL history with the shortest streak of losing seasons at only three - and those were the three expansion years. Since 1964, the Vikes have been .500 or better often enough so that they only go underwater for a couple years at a time. Every other team goes through four-five-six bad years in a row, but not us.
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The play where Shazier was hurt was not dirty. What you linked to was from last year. But I agree, the dirty plays get old.

I think his point was that Shazier made the same type of hit (leading with the crown of his helmet) against Bernard as he did when he injured his back. Almost every time there is a spinal injury in professional/college football, it isn't the person being hit who is injured, it is the guy making the hit leading with his helmet when he is tackling. At least that's how the cervical spinal injuries happen (Dennis Byrd, Kevin Everett, Eric Legrand, etc.). Even Darryl Stingley, although he was the offensive player when it occurred, was due to the exact same type of impact. His head was just lowered since he was off balance and the defender hit him square on with his shoulder.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

NCViking wrote: I think his point was that Shazier made the same type of hit (leading with the crown of his helmet) against Bernard as he did when he injured his back. Almost every time there is a spinal injury in professional/college football, it isn't the person being hit who is injured, it is the guy making the hit leading with his helmet when he is tackling. At least that's how the cervical spinal injuries happen (Dennis Byrd, Kevin Everett, Eric Legrand, etc.). Even Darryl Stingley, although he was the offensive player when it occurred, was due to the exact same type of impact. His head was just lowered since he was off balance and the defender hit him square on with his shoulder.
Yes. Hitting with the crown is basically called the Shazier rule.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »