Vikings-Falcons game thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings-Falcons game thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What was the time of possession in the 2bd half?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What was the time of possession in the 2bd half?

I think it was darn near 20 minutes for us in the second half. Total of 34:02-25:58. The Vikings are currently #4 on offensive TOP/game (32:14). Leader is Philadelphia a 33:07. Of note, the defense is third. Eagles lead that stat as well.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What was the time of possession in the 2bd half?

Great question!

Unofficially by my addition off the play-by-play chart at NFL.com ...

Vikings 21:13
Falcons 8:47

That's the way you shut down a high-powered offense on the road.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Great question!

Unofficially by my addition off the play-by-play chart at NFL.com ...

Vikings 21:13
Falcons 8:47

That's the way you shut down a high-powered offense on the road.
That's insane! The Vikings had it for 75% of the second half!

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Vikings halftime adjustments have been great, on both sides of the ball. We have a good coaching staff, i really hope we can keep it, but Im sure Shurmur is gone :(
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:Good to see you posting Jim.
Thank you. :v):
That's what I really like about this team...They are playing like a team.
Yes, they have some very welcome balance between the three main units. We haven't seen enough of that from Vikings teams over the past 20 years or so and it's refreshing!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Thank you. :v):
Yes, they have some very welcome balance between the three main units. We haven't seen enough of that from Vikings teams over the past 20 years or so and it's refreshing!
Yeah, it's weird to have a top 5 offense AND defense.
I said it before, Keenum doesn't just dump the ball down, he let's his players make plays. I think that is huge, and something the Vikings have not had since Cunningham.

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Most of Case's throws are short stuff. Look it up. And the YAC is more of the receivers doing then Case. Case puts the ball where the receivers have a chance to make a play for the ball. Its usually good, but he leaves a lot of yards on the field by not putting the ball on the money. But so do all the other QBs. Case's accuracy looks good because he throws short passes to great receivers. Thats the offense Shurmur is running, along with a good running game, both being improved by a very much improved Oline of the past few years.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Most of Case's throws are short stuff. Look it up.
I'm trying to but can't seem to find the stats. I know there's an average depth of pass out there somewhere. Do you know where? Where are you getting the data?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Cliff wrote: I'm trying to but can't seem to find the stats. I know there's an average depth of pass out there somewhere. Do you know where? Where are you getting the data?
By watching the game, and listening to announcers. Im pretty sure they said last week Case didnt throw a single ball over 15 yards that was completed. Or maybe that was in the first half. But he dinks and dunks as many passes as Teddy ever did. And Teddy literally had half the time to throw the ball. Its all after the catch, which is more to the receivers credit then Case.

People are making a god out of Case. He is improving, and hopefully will continue to do so, but the bottom could fall out just as easily.

Edit:
If you do find a place that has that stat, post it here please. I remember seeing a chart somewhere of where Case throws the ball, and so many were just short passes, rarely over 10 yards. Nothing wrong with that, the Vikes have one of the best offenses we've seen in a while. But people are always saying, "well Teddy didnt do that, or couldnt do that" when its entirely speculation. Teddy was never in this type of situation.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^Hot take.

Keenum has thrown the ball down the field plenty so far this season and I really don't understand what you're watching if you don't see that...

This game was a necessary exception. Atlanta made it a point to take that away and Minnesota had a plan to control the ball and keep Atlanta's dynamic offense off the field. It is yet another way that Minnesota can beat and it was on full display against Atlanta.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PacificNorseWest wrote:^Hot take.

Keenum has thrown the ball down the field plenty so far this season and I really don't understand what you're watching if you don't see that...

This game was a necessary exception. Atlanta made it a point to take that away and Minnesota had a plan to control the ball and keep Atlanta's dynamic offense off the field. It is yet another way that Minnesota can beat and it was on full display against Atlanta.
Where's your data?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Where's your data?
Here's the damn data.

Watch the game against Washington. Watch the 51-yarder to Stefon Diggs that was an absolutely perfect bomb. Watch him hit Thielen in stride for 38. Another deep ball down the left sideline to Thielen for 38 more. Next play, deep out to Thielen for 17. That's just the first freaking half. Then deep over the middle to Thielen for 49.

Oh I know ... he threw two picks, which is all you'll choose to see. He put up 38, but he threw two picks, so he MUST suck. The Vikings have scored 14 TDs and two knee-downs in their last 17 trips to the red zone, but Keenum is just lucky.

Data. Whatever. Keep on griping about the Vikings not playing Teddy Bridgewater. Meanwhile, when we're hoisting the trophy, you'll be going, "But we'd have won more better with Teddy."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Where's your data?
Where's yours?

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

WTF, im not gripping about Teddy not playing. Whats your problem? Don't I bow enough before Case? I'm as happy as anyone hes gotten the job done, im jusy not anointing him as jesus christ right now. Its tiresome. You want a few guys who deserve praise more then Case? Try Smith and Joseph.

Im sick of guys like you putting Teddy down, and thinking Case is the next Brady. He isnt. No one even wanted him as their QB. In Shurmurs system he is doing well. Especially when his first read is AT, who runs the best routes on the team. Sometimes he gets to the second read (with the much improved Oline). Sometimes he makes good reads, sometimes he doesnt. Sometimes he chucks it up there and gets away with it, other times he doesnt. Just like most of the other QBs out there. Case is extremely lucky he is in the situation he is. So much changed since Teddy was in the game. Sometime backup QBs get lucky, sometimes they really do well. And then sometimes they fall apart. O tear their knee out.

Where did you get your info on how long case threw the ball for? I'm not talking YAC, or total yards, im talking what type of throws is Case making.