Playoffs??

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Playoffs??

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Can the Vikings clinch the division this week? If they win and Detroit loses, they will be four up with four to play.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Playoffs??

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Can the Vikings clinch the division this week? If they win and Detroit loses, they will be four up with four to play.

I don't think so. If the Vikings were to lose their last four and Detroit wins their last four, they'd be tied at 10-6.

First tiebreaker is head-to-head. Minnesota and Detroit are even there.

Second tiebreaker is division record. If Detroit were to win out, they'd be 5-1 in the division. If the Vikings were to lose out, they'd be 3-3 (because they still have the Packers and Bears left on their schedule). Detroit would win the division.

Next week, though ...
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

that would suck to lose the division and not make the playoffs after the season we have had
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

one win takes division.
Viking fan since '65
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

What is obnoxious is that the Packers still have an outside shot at the playoffs. A team will likely need a 10-6 record in the NFC this year to get in. They are sitting at 6-6, but have a fairly soft schedule remaining. (Other than us on the XMAS EVE.)

The Lions are also 6-6, but have a harder schedule. If Stafford is done due to his hand, they are also done.

Packers play CLE, CAR, MIN, DET to finish out. If the Panthers can recover from the drubbing we give them on Sunday, maybe they can do us a favor and end GB's playoff hopes before we come to town. Otherwise it will be on us to crush their spirits Christmas Eve. If Rogers is back for that game, expect fireworks. You know he is going to want revenge after we put him on the IR and exposed them.

NFC W is not settled. Rams play PHI and SEA yet, which could let SEA sneak in and take the division late. SEA is currently sitting at 8-4 and thus whomever loses that race will likely be a Wild Card team.

NFC S is going to get ugly in the last 4 weeks. ATL plays NO twice. That could shake up that division, but it could also push the Falcons to 6 or even 7 losses as they currently have 5.

The 6th wild card spot is wide open right now. We need the Packers to lose one more game. At 7 losses there is likely no way for them to sneak into the playoffs.

Very important for us to keep winning. We want homefield to improve our odds.

Watch Philly vs Rams this Sunday. If Eagles are lousy against the Rams then we know they are not in the same class as we are.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mansquatch wrote:What is obnoxious is that the Packers still have an outside shot at the playoffs. A team will likely need a 10-6 record in the NFC this year to get in. They are sitting at 6-6, but have a fairly soft schedule remaining. (Other than us on the XMAS EVE.)

The Lions are also 6-6, but have a harder schedule. If Stafford is done due to his hand, they are also done.

Packers play CLE, CAR, MIN, DET to finish out. If the Panthers can recover from the drubbing we give them on Sunday, maybe they can do us a favor and end GB's playoff hopes before we come to town. Otherwise it will be on us to crush their spirits Christmas Eve. If Rogers is back for that game, expect fireworks. You know he is going to want revenge after we put him on the IR and exposed them.

NFC W is not settled. Rams play PHI and SEA yet, which could let SEA sneak in and take the division late. SEA is currently sitting at 8-4 and thus whomever loses that race will likely be a Wild Card team.

NFC S is going to get ugly in the last 4 weeks. ATL plays NO twice. That could shake up that division, but it could also push the Falcons to 6 or even 7 losses as they currently have 5.

The 6th wild card spot is wide open right now. We need the Packers to lose one more game. At 7 losses there is likely no way for them to sneak into the playoffs.

Very important for us to keep winning. We want homefield to improve our odds.

Watch Philly vs Rams this Sunday. If Eagles are lousy against the Rams then we know they are not in the same class as we are.
I don't think it matters if the Packers make it as even if they do I don't think they make it out of the first round. They'd likely be the lowest seed, so they'd be on the road against the highest seed playing in the 1st round, which would likely be the Saints, Seahawks, or Rams. I don't see the Packers beating any of those teams in the playoffs, with or without Rodgers.

And to be honest, the Packers really needed some serious help to win against the Bucs. They got some real splash plays to beat a pretty bad Bucs team that otherwise dominated the game statistically. The Packers with Rodgers probably can't be counted out because Rodgers is that good, but I don't think it will end up mattering much. And if it does, then I still like the Vikings chances should it come down to it in either late December at Lambeau or in the playoffs. The Vikings are just a far more complete team. Doesn't mean they can't be beaten by the Packers, but I think the Packers would need some big plays/help from the refs ala what the Lions got to do it, and even that probably wouldn't be enough this year.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Packers with Rogers is a whole different ball of wax, and I think their roster besides him is complete trash. They were a dung heep last year and went to the NFCCG all because of Rogers. My main point in bringing them up is we are better off kicking them when they are down on the 24th and just keeping them out of the playoffs. Why risk it?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

mansquatch wrote:What is obnoxious is that the Packers still have an outside shot at the playoffs. A team will likely need a 10-6 record in the NFC this year to get in. They are sitting at 6-6, but have a fairly soft schedule remaining. (Other than us on the XMAS EVE.)

Packers play CLE, CAR, MIN, DET to finish out. If the Panthers can recover from the drubbing we give them on Sunday, maybe they can do us a favor and end GB's playoff hopes before we come to town. Otherwise it will be on us to crush their spirits Christmas Eve.
Bold added by me-- I believe our game with the Packers is on Saturday, Dec 23, 2017. The day before Christmas Eve.
Craig S
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

cstelter wrote: Bold added by me-- I believe our game with the Packers is on Saturday, Dec 23, 2017. The day before Christmas Eve.
It's called Christmas Eve Eve.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

808vikingsfan wrote: It's called Christmas Eve Eve.
You're not making any sense... And stop calling me Eve. :gone:
Craig S
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

cstelter wrote: You're not making any sense... And stop calling me Eve. :gone:
Surely you know christmas eve eve, eve.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018