Week 13 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 13 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

And for everybody who keeps busting on Case Keenum for his ball placement, I hope the past two games will quiet some of that talk.

His yardage numbers weren't huge today, but he was on the money, throw after throw. He also had a couple of near misses, one to Diggs and one to Thielen, where he put the ball downfield into very tight windows.

This guy is getting better every week.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:And for everybody who keeps busting on Case Keenum for his ball placement, I hope the past two games will quiet some of that talk.

His yardage numbers weren't huge today, but he was on the money, throw after throw. He also had a couple of near misses, one to Diggs and one to Thielen, where he put the ball downfield into very tight windows.

This guy is getting better every week.
He looked off in the first half. Floating those screens so the D can close didn't help. Perfect 2nd half though. That scramble when he hit Diggs was incredible. Case had a defender right at his feet but it didn't even phase him. Guy really has big balls. Playing on the road, against a good D, coming from behind in the 2nd half.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Thought this was pretty funny. Gotta love reddit sometimes.
[–]I’m thinking this win will drop us down a couple of spots in the power rankings...
[–]It'll drop us behind Atlanta, who had a quality loss against a solid vikes team.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Thought this was pretty funny. Gotta love reddit sometimes.
:rofl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Atlanta was #1 on 3rd down conversions coming into this game

Today: Third Down Efficiency 1/10 - 10%
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Is the Packer's win really a story? That's all I've been hearing about so far.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Not that PFF grades mean much but here it is

TOP 5 GRADES:
S Harrison Smith, 88.4 overall grade

S Andrew Sendejo, 83.1 overall grade

Edge Everson Griffen, 81.2 overall grade

QB Case Keenum, 80.4 overall grade

RB Latavius Murray, 78.9 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB CASE KEENUM, 80.4 OVERALL GRADE
Efficiency was the name of the game for the Vikings QB in Sunday’s matchup down in Atlanta and he sure did execute. Keenum didn’t complete a single pass that traveled over 20 yards in the air (he only attempted three) but he connected with his receiver on 25 out of 26 throws that traveled 19 or fewer yards in the air and he was 14-14 on balls that traveled over the middle of the field.

RB LATAVIUS MURRAY, 78.9 OVERALL GRADE
The veteran running back picked up 52 of his 76 yards after contact and forced three missed tackles on the ground. Murray averaged 7.2 yards per carry on runs that went through either A-gap and four of his 16 carries resulted in a Vikings first down.

S HARRISON SMITH, 88.4 OVERALL GRADE
Smith was up to his usual self, primarily impacting the running game with his play around the line of scrimmage. Smith disrupted a number of plays when he was down in the box that won’t show up in the stat sheets, but totaled 4 tackles and 2 solo stops for short gains. Smith was not targeted at all in the passing game, forcing Matt Ryan off of his initial read on a few occasions.

EDGE EVERSON GRIFFEN, 81.2 OVERALL GRADE
Griffen played a significant role in slowing down the Falcons passing game, consistently getting Matt Ryan off the spot and forcing the ball out quickly. Griffin had success no matter where he lined up, totaling 1 QB hit and 3 QB hurries throughout the game. Griffen was stout and played well against the Falcons’ outside zone running game as well, stretching a number of plays out and eliminating the chance for big plays, finishing with a solo stop on the day.

Refocused: Minnesota Vikings 14, Atlanta Falcons 9
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jarius Wright deserves some props too, had a couple key third down catches. I like that Zim and the team is keeping a "we haven't done anything yet" attitude.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We once again started out slow, on both sides of the ball. But the adjustments the coaching staff makes are amazing.

Case is coming along nicely. Which is a bit surprising because he is making the same kind of throws Teddy made, and so many people couldnt stand teddy for it. The short stuff, dump passes. little screens, the 4 yard underneath throws, etc. I think Case is doing better is because our OC now is better. Shurmur calls a lot of great plays, and somehow knew we wouldnt win going deep today. He also has so GREAT plays for the endzone. He must love Kyle.

I thought the D looked soft at first. I didnt see much front 4 pressure (ATL's D actually looked better for a time, with the 2 sacks) but in the 2nd half, they blitzed a bit more and were as solid as ever. I thought Rhodes might be hurt, cause he was playing off the receivers, but he shut down one of the best receivers we will see this year.

I have to admit, I never thought Murray or Case would play this well this year. When Cook went down I almost cried because I thought the season was over. Now Im almost up to the '98 feeling. I just hope I dont feel the same way as I didnt after that '98 season. That season kind of keeps everything in check for me, along with the 2009 season.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

10-2 Wrap your mind around that. Man that NFL channel that loves to ignore us can't ignore us now
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We once again started out slow, on both sides of the ball. But the adjustments the coaching staff makes are amazing.

Case is coming along nicely. Which is a bit surprising because he is making the same kind of throws Teddy made, and so many people couldnt stand teddy for it. The short stuff, dump passes. little screens, the 4 yard underneath throws, etc. I think Case is doing better is because our OC now is better. Shurmur calls a lot of great plays, and somehow knew we wouldnt win going deep today. He also has so GREAT plays for the endzone. He must love Kyle.

I thought the D looked soft at first. I didnt see much front 4 pressure (ATL's D actually looked better for a time, with the 2 sacks) but in the 2nd half, they blitzed a bit more and were as solid as ever. I thought Rhodes might be hurt, cause he was playing off the receivers, but he shut down one of the best receivers we will see this year.

I have to admit, I never thought Murray or Case would play this well this year. When Cook went down I almost cried because I thought the season was over. Now Im almost up to the '98 feeling. I just hope I dont feel the same way as I didnt after that '98 season. That season kind of keeps everything in check for me, along with the 2009 season.
I agree with everything except the part about the D playing soft. The Falcons had a good game plan in the first half, trying to stay out of third and long , but Zimmer adjusted in the 2nd half bringing Harrison Smith up stopping the run and screens and getting more pressure on Ryan.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I really like that Wright, Treadwell, and Floyd made some key catches today. Sucks that Morgan has a cuncussion because he is a hell of a blocker. Alexander is quietly have a better season than I predicted. I would have preferred more points but strong team win today.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

- Vikings defense did very well against a Falcon team that had been the best in the NFL at converting on 3rd down. The Falcons were put into a lot of 3rd-and-longs and failed to convert most of them. This is something the Vikings have done well all year, but to see them do it well against an offense that has proven itself among the best at converting on 3rd down, and on the road where said team can more easily change the play pre-snap is very impressive.

- I thought the Vikings struggled a bit against the run. The Falcons have a solid rushing offense, but I thought they were able to run to the edges and there were a few missed tackles that hurt. Overall not a terrible performance, but not what we're used to seeing from the Vikings.

- I also thought it took the Vikings a while before they started getting consistent pressure on Ryan. Of course, once they started to get to him, the Falcon offense fell apart. Maybe the Falcons were just hyped up enough on offense early and that's why Ryan stayed clean, but man, that pressure, or lack thereof, makes a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of the defense.

- Offensively, I thought Case was a bit off. He wasn't terrible, but the two balls that were incomplete due to the receiver just being out of bounds were tough, along with the no-throw to a wide open Thielen who had gotten deep hurt his yardage totals. As it stands, he played very well overall, but he can do more down the field than what we saw today.

- Also, I thought the Vikings played very conservatively on offense. I understand why, but it is frustrating to watch them refuse to test the defense deep when they have the players to do it.

- I thought the Falcon defense was very good today. They put consistent pressure on Keenum, did a decent job against the run, and generally kept the Vikings in check. Despite that, the Vikings managed 2 touchdowns and some long drives, which again is a really good indicator of how solid this year's team is.

This was a tough game to win on the road against a very good Falcon team. The performance today wasn't the best we've seen from the Vikings, but even despite that they still managed a win.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Omg NBC is doing a segment on Drew Brees and New Orleans. Keep ignoring the Vikings folks. I love it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Seahawks are about to knock the Eagles off their perch.

We still trail on tiebreakers, but in about 4 minutes of football, we're should be tied for the best record in the NFL.

Of course, Chris Collinsworth has already said he's going to have us 4th in his power rankings this coming week. Please, media and football world, keep underestimating this team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.