Robert Smith's back up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Robert Smith's back up

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Random story:
My wife ordered a new dishwasher and met a man named John Cerrano(sp?) who said he was Robert Smith's back up? I've googled various name spellings and can't find him, even college stuff.

Anybody remember a practice squad name of John Cerrano or Serano, whatever spelling varation?
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Robert Smith's back up

Post by 720pete »

Looking at Vikings historical roster I don't see anyone with that name between 1993-2000 - the years in which Robert Smith played. Perhaps the guy changed last names? The only RB I see named John or Jon between 1993-2000 is John Henry Mills in 1999.

http://www.vikings.com/team/history/his ... oster.html
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Never heard of him.

Speaking of Robert Smith backups though; When I was 16 I worked at a local (Kentucky-based) theme park and my manager there worked with Moe Williams in college. I think she was studying to either a nutritionist or fitness coach of some kind (that's been a while back). They both went to UofK and I always thought that was kind of cool. Moe wasn't a super star but he was with the Vikings for 10 years and though average I thought was an asset.

If you were wondering now that I've talked about him;
Williams has recently turned his attention to professional horse racing. He now trains thoroughbreds and recently won his first race as a trainer at Calder Race Course.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I loved Moe Wiliams when I was a kid...I spent soooo many hours trying to train him up in NFL2k.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Was he talking about the Robert Smith? Or one of the other Robert Smiths

Robert Smith · Mississippi State (1985-1985)

Robert Smith · Nebraska (1951-1954)

Robert Smith · Ohio State (1968-1968)

Robert Smith · Cal State Fullerton (1977-1977)

Robert Smith · Iowa (1983-1986)

Robert Smith · Mississippi (1984-1985)

Robert Smith · Ohio State (1990-1992)

Robert Smith · Wake Forest (2009-2009)

Robert Smith · Clemson (2011-2014)

Robert Smith · Minnesota (1991-1991)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ex-13.html
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Maybe the Deacon-Communion & Baptism Services does backup for the Deacon-Assistant, Secretary???

http://www.ffbclp.org/site/leadership.a ... =180008272

:-)
Craig S
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Was he talking about the Robert Smith? Or one of the other Robert Smiths

Robert Smith · Mississippi State (1985-1985)

Robert Smith · Nebraska (1951-1954)

Robert Smith · Ohio State (1968-1968)

Robert Smith · Cal State Fullerton (1977-1977)

Robert Smith · Iowa (1983-1986)

Robert Smith · Mississippi (1984-1985)

Robert Smith · Ohio State (1990-1992)

Robert Smith · Wake Forest (2009-2009)

Robert Smith · Clemson (2011-2014)

Robert Smith · Minnesota (1991-1991)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ex-13.html
Well, maybe my wife misunderstood that this guy backed up a Robert Smith from somewhere else? This is turning into a wild goose chase from the looks of it.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

720pete wrote:Looking at Vikings historical roster I don't see anyone with that name between 1993-2000 - the years in which Robert Smith played. Perhaps the guy changed last names? The only RB I see named John or Jon between 1993-2000 is John Henry Mills in 1999.

http://www.vikings.com/team/history/his ... oster.html
My wife told me he claimed to play semi pro, which didn't jive with me as Robert Smith's back up... that person would at least be on the practice squad - not some guy playing semi pro ball.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Cliff wrote:Never heard of him.

Speaking of Robert Smith backups though; When I was 16 I worked at a local (Kentucky-based) theme park and my manager there worked with Moe Williams in college. I think she was studying to either a nutritionist or fitness coach of some kind (that's been a while back). They both went to UofK and I always thought that was kind of cool. Moe wasn't a super star but he was with the Vikings for 10 years and though average I thought was an asset.

If you were wondering now that I've talked about him;
Right! I've never heard of a Cerrano or whatever, but Moe Williams, YES!
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

DK Sweets wrote:I loved Moe Wiliams when I was a kid...I spent soooo many hours trying to train him up in NFL2k.
Argh-- poor memory, but thankfully I know how to use google. I was thinking Moe was the guy who supposedly once said: “Coach, if you need one yard, I’ll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I’ll get you three yards.”

But I was a bit unsure of the actual quote and when I googled it, I found it was instead Leroy Hoard, Robert Smith's lead blocker for some years. Figured I'd waste y'alls reminiscing anyway-- always loved that quote.
Craig S
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

cstelter wrote: Argh-- poor memory, but thankfully I know how to use google. I was thinking Moe was the guy who supposedly once said: “Coach, if you need one yard, I’ll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I’ll get you three yards.”

But I was a bit unsure of the actual quote and when I googled it, I found it was instead Leroy Hoard, Robert Smith's lead blocker for some years. Figured I'd waste y'alls reminiscing anyway-- always loved that quote.
I always loved that quote, too...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Maybe it was in high school or college ?

Or maybe he is just a person full of crap
for whatever personal reason or justification?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!