It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Could it be that the game has slowed down for Case? And we were lucky picking him up in the offseason? Idk whether it will be Case 2018, but who cares? He's here now and playing out of his mind.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Didn't Zimmer at one point last year or the year before basically say that he will sink or swim with Teddy? I'm pretty certain he did. With that said, maybe not cementing Case as the starter for the rest of the season is keeping him on his toes week to week. I agree, he should be named the starter, but in some odd way maybe he would become a little complacent. I don't care about feel good stories, or the fact that Teddy is a nice guy, I want the team to win and Case gives them the best opportunity this season. To plug a guy into an offense during a 9-2 season who hasn't played a meaningful game in ages in lunacy. He wasn't any good before, so I've never understood the optimism with Teddy (nobody has any idea of the after effects of the knee injury as far as mentally).
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Wow.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote:

Sweet video. Even though he was wrong about Case, I really like CC's analysis. Especially when he observes that the Vikings aren't just asking Case to manage games, they are asking him to go out and win and he's doing it. I think that's what gives me confidence that he could possibly lead us to our first SB victory.

Having seen him at UH, I really liked the offseason move to get him. The QB position is so important that it warrants a lot of resources and careful planning, and Rick had his best offseason last spring/ summer. The OL fix still astounds me, and obviously that's a huge reason for Case's success.

What will be interesting to watch is how long of a leash Zimmer gives Case. If he royally f's up a game, will he be tempted to put Teddy in? After how many Ints? How bad will it have to be? That's a tough coaching decision, and hopefully we don't have to find out, but certainly some amount of adversity will arise at some point, so this is an interesting point to watch IMO.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Texas Vike wrote:
Sweet video. Even though he was wrong about Case, I really like CC's analysis. Especially when he observes that the Vikings aren't just asking Case to manage games, they are asking him to go out and win and he's doing it. I think that's what gives me confidence that he could possibly lead us to our first SB victory.

Having seen him at UH, I really liked the offseason move to get him. The QB position is so important that it warrants a lot of resources and careful planning, and Rick had his best offseason last spring/ summer.
Case made a good impression on me when I watched him on All Or Nothing: LA Rams, from last season. I thought he played well, despite a few picks, and handled adversity well given Jared Goff lurking in the wings.

I thought he would make a great backup, for just this reason: that he had the potential to lead beyond a play/game or two.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

mosscarter wrote:Didn't Zimmer at one point last year or the year before basically say that he will sink or swim with Teddy? I'm pretty certain he did. With that said, maybe not cementing Case as the starter for the rest of the season is keeping him on his toes week to week. I agree, he should be named the starter, but in some odd way maybe he would become a little complacent. I don't care about feel good stories, or the fact that Teddy is a nice guy, I want the team to win and Case gives them the best opportunity this season. To plug a guy into an offense during a 9-2 season who hasn't played a meaningful game in ages in lunacy. He wasn't any good before, so I've never understood the optimism with Teddy (nobody has any idea of the after effects of the knee injury as far as mentally).
Which makes me wonder how hard will Zimmer try and sign Case in the offseason. Seems a little strange he has played in every game but one and he isn't even acknowledged as the starter with his record this year.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: All I can say, Kapp, is I agree that Keenum's earned the right to keep starting without looking over his shoulder. I read in the Star Tribune today that Zimmer still seems to be hedging his bets about the position. I think that's potentially self-defeating because as you wrote above, Keenum has been playing terrific football. He looks comfortable in the offense and he's been turning potentially negative plays into positive (or even huge) plays. Instead of worrying about who will take over for him, right now the Vikes should be doing backflips that they have him and they should be giving as much consideration to keeping him after this year as they give to Bridgewater or Bradford. He's been giving them what they've been seeking at QB. I don't know if he can sustain it or not but right now, they should roll with it. If his performance falls off a cliff at some point, they can always make a move then but it looks to me like he's responded to the challenge before him and more importantly, it looks like the team has responded to him.
My theory on this is that Case has gotten better as he's been having to look over his shoulder, so they are maintaining the environment that has produced the best results.

I agree, at this point it should be his job to lose.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

halfgiz wrote: Which makes me wonder how hard will Zimmer try and sign Case in the offseason. Seems a little strange he has played in every game but one and he isn't even acknowledged as the starter with his record this year.
Doesn't Spielman make those decisions?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Who our QB will be in 2018 is going to make for a very interesting March. At this point four names are in the hat to varying degrees:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

All have their positives and negatives. If he is Healthy, Bradford is the best QB of the lot. TB is a complete wildcard. In both of these cases there is a huge issue of health and longevity. Bradford might never play another snap. Just how healthy is Teddy?

Cousins would be a great get IMO, but will he come here or will he even be available? WSH might just franchise him again. Too much unknown.

Last, but not least is Keenum. The guy is playing out of his mind right now. Will that continue? Can it? Or will he regress to his mean?

One major positive is that right now, this might be the most desirable landing spot for a QB of any age. We have a nearly complete roster and a VERY competent coaching staff. You could do a lot worse if you are a free agent. This is what makes me think we have a shot at Cousins.

All of this is plagued by uncertainty which at least for me, makes it not really worth talking about. We are in December of our best season since 2009. I'm going to enjoy that before i worry about 2018.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

720pete wrote: Doesn't Spielman make those decisions?
To be honest I'm not sure how it works. I would think that Zimmers opinion counts.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

mansquatch wrote:Who our QB will be in 2018 is going to make for a very interesting March. At this point four names are in the hat to varying degrees:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

All have their positives and negatives. If he is Healthy, Bradford is the best QB of the lot. TB is a complete wildcard. In both of these cases there is a huge issue of health and longevity. Bradford might never play another snap. Just how healthy is Teddy?
I've heard that Cousins will cost about $25 million per year. Bradford - if proven healthy, maybe $18 million. Speculation was that the current version of Keenum would be about $15 million, and Bridgewater would be about $7 million per year - although I'm thinking that $10 million would be closer.

So, at that, I don't think we'd want Cousins. Any QB that would start for us for under $15 million would be fine with me. Otherwise, we'd lose too many of our other players paying him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I don't know. If the QB can play at an elite level he is worth the cost. Look at GB. They have a top guy at QB and the rest of their team is woefully pedestrian. When Rogers is healthy they are going to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE SEASON. The QB, when great, provides a lot of cushion for the other 21 starters.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

mansquatch wrote:I don't know. If the QB can play at an elite level he is worth the cost. Look at GB. They have a top guy at QB and the rest of their team is woefully pedestrian. When Rogers is healthy they are going to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE SEASON. The QB, when great, provides a lot of cushion for the other 21 starters.
Is Cousins elite?
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:You know what would be the most inspiring story to me (and I'll go out on a limb and say 98% of Vikings fans)? That would be the Vikings winning the Super Bowl.
^^^^THIS! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

In Case we trust. :govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida