WEEK 12: Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

WEEK 12: Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions Discussion

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Short week. Big one coming up in 4 days. Vikings have the better team but DET seems to find a way to beat the Vikings lately.

Biggest game since the playoff game in 2015 IMO. Vikings can take a firm grip on the the North if they beat the Lions.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: WEEK 12: Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions Discussion

Post by Just Me »

It's a very important game. Win and we are commanding the North. Lose and the Lions are only 1 game behind us with them owning the tiebreaker.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Enormous game coming up, especially for Detroit. They will be primed for this one. We need our defense to step up again, and we need Forbath to remember that the ball is supposed to go through the uprights.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I feel like the odds are pretty stacked against us for this one:

1. We've struggled against the Lions over the past few years
2. The road team has a terrible record for Thursday football

I think this one is going to be a loss for us but I also think this is the most difficult game of the rest of the season. Even the remaining road games won't be as tough because they aren't short weeks.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Obviously, we can lose this game. Detroit has beaten us three straight, and it's in their house.

But I don't think we will.

The Vikings and Saints are the two hottest teams in the NFL right now. We're playing great football. We're moving the ball well on offense and beginning to score points (if Kai Forbath would have remembered which direction the goalposts were, we would have had our third straight 30+ point game).

The Lions have barely scraped by two awful teams the past two weeks, including the Browns at home. We also stifled them in our place, but the offense struggled and we had key turnovers in plus territory for Detroit.

I legitimately believe we're the better team, and we're certainly playing better football at this point.

As for the short week, they are in the same situation.

Don't want to come off as cocky. But until someone beats the Vikings, I refuse to see them as an underdog. To anyone.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is probably the biggest game left on the schedule. If they win this one it will cement the division as ours. It's on the road against a division rival, nothing is guaranteed. However, i truly feel like we are the better team. Blair Walsh all but gave them the two wins last year and this year the first loss was probably the worst game Keenum has played. Very important to get this monkey off our back.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The Vikings have beaten statistically better teams than the Lions both on the road and at home (e.g. Rams are the league's 4th best offense in terms of yards/game, Redskins are 8th best, Lions are 14th. Defensively, Rams are 16th, Redskins are 24th, Lions are 23rd). Overall, the Lions have less scoring punch than either of the two most recent Vikings opponents and are about as solid defensively as them. While past performance is no guarantee of future success, I like the Vikings chances in this game.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

The Lions started at a one-point favorite, but early betting on the Vikings has moved the line to Vikings being a two-point favorite. Better yet, the Vikings have been consistently underestimated against the spread, going 6-3 ATS this year (and roughly the same 2 to 1 ratio for most of the Zimmer era). In other words, the Vikings tend to play better than people expect, fairly consistently.

Look, the Vikes have to lose some time. It would be nice if it wasn't this week, and we could open up some space so that losses against Atlanta and Carolina (if they happen) won't cost us the division.
Moss This Moss That
Waterboy

Post by Moss This Moss That »

While I think we’ll beat Detroit, I’m actually a little worried about how the playoff picture is going to unfold if we lose. The Falcons are heating up and the Panthers are really good. I think we’ll be underdogs in both of those games. So say we lose those two as well, then win out against Cincy, GB, and Chicago. We’d have a real shot at joining the Matt Cassel-led Patriots as the only 11-5 teams to ever miss the playoffs.

I see the Saints going 12-4. The Lions have an incredibly easy schedule, and I’d see them finishing no worse than 11-5 if they beat us. Then the Falcons and Panthers could take the WCs at 11-5 by winning tie-breakers against us. I know there’s A LOT of football left, but just saying this Lions game is a lot bigger than I’m sure a lot of people realize. Win and we’re looking at a bye. Lose and we’re looking more like a WC team with the possibility of missing the playoffs.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I know as vikings fans it's normal to brace ourselves for heartbreak, but man we have to be a little positive. That last post made panic a little sad. :(
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I hate short week games, I hate prime time games, and I dont like road games for the Vikings. Add into that the Lions are really good this year. And the lions havent had any more luck then the Vikings. Have you seen some of Case's throws? Even the one AT caught for a nice gain Sunday? He just lobs them up and hopes for the best. Hes been very lucky, because INT's can change the pace of the game.

That being said, Im all for Case as the starting QB. Hes done a great job so far, the pressure doesnt seem to bother him. I really hope he can carry us to the SB.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

OMG, what happened to the Vibe in here?

The Lions are 6-4. Who have they beaten?

ARI, CLE, CHI, GB, MIN, and NYG. 5 of those teams are bottom feeders in the NFL. CHI is improved, but not great. There is one team on that list with a winning record: Us. They caught us with Keenum just three weeks in. Since then Keenum has won 7 straight games.

They've lost to every team they've played with a good record: CAR, ATL, NO, and PIT.

DET is a classic middle of the road NFL team. Last yea they over achieved with something like 6 late 4Q wins. This year they haven't been as lucky and are reverting to their mean. Two of those 4Q games were against us during the Blair Walsh meltdown.

We SHOULD win on Thursday.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Moss This Moss That
Waterboy

Post by Moss This Moss That »

Like I said, I do think we’ll beat Detroit. Just saying it’s a huge game for reasons most folks might not be aware of. Sorry for the bad vibes!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:OMG, what happened to the Vibe in here?

The Lions are 6-4. Who have they beaten?

ARI, CLE, CHI, GB, MIN, and NYG. 5 of those teams are bottom feeders in the NFL. CHI is improved, but not great. There is one team on that list with a winning record: Us. They caught us with Keenum just three weeks in. Since then Keenum has won 7 straight games.

They've lost to every team they've played with a good record: CAR, ATL, NO, and PIT.

DET is a classic middle of the road NFL team. Last yea they over achieved with something like 6 late 4Q wins. This year they haven't been as lucky and are reverting to their mean. Two of those 4Q games were against us during the Blair Walsh meltdown.

We SHOULD win on Thursday.
No less the turning point in the game was when Cook blows his knee out and obviously doesnt focus on ball security. They couldnt get anymore lucky than that. And they scored off that drive I believe
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Moss This Moss That wrote:Like I said, I do think we’ll beat Detroit. Just saying it’s a huge game for reasons most folks might not be aware of. Sorry for the bad vibes!
No need to apologize.

:welcome