PFF: Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: PFF: Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: It's pretty hard for Treadwell to do that when he has two in front of him performing like they are. We might not ever know Treadwells true skill at this rate. A #3 WR is only so involved in an offense, especially when you have two studs in front of him gobbling up targets
Treadwell has had plenty of opportunities to show hes at least an average WR. He hasnt done so. And he isnt even close to what we used to pick him talent wise. Hes a #5 WR at best. Theres always going to be someone better then you if you aernt that good to begin with. No QB is going to wait for Treadwell to get open, nor is an OC going to call his number, when the other guys are getting open much faster. I'd rather keep Wright over Treadwell and Wright isnt one of my favorite players by any means.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Treadwell has had plenty of opportunities to show hes at least an average WR. He hasnt done so. And he isnt even close to what we used to pick him talent wise. Hes a #5 WR at best. Theres always going to be someone better then you if you aernt that good to begin with. No QB is going to wait for Treadwell to get open, nor is an OC going to call his number, when the other guys are getting open much faster. I'd rather keep Wright over Treadwell and Wright isnt one of my favorite players by any means.
He has NOT had "plenty" of opportunities. This year he did play well vs. GB. Had 4 catches vs. Baltimore. Both games when Diggs was out. To say he is a #5 is asinine. You dont even know the talent the guys has so how can you sit there and label him a #5?? Let me guess, Michael Floyd should be our #3? Because he's done so much this year. Or maybe Jarius Wright because he's scored a TD on a screen pass and another one vs. Baltimore on a 2 yard out???

And to say he wasnt good to begin with is also a joke. He was the best WR in college football going for over 1100 yards and 11 TDs against legit competition. You're comparing a 2016 rookie WR (which we all know, struggle to get time in their rookie year) to guys like Thielen and Diggs who have been in the league and are obviously excellent WRs.

No QB is going to wait for Treadwell to get open?? He actually runs very good routes if you paid attention. There have been times announcers said on TV that he was wide open. He beat Norman on an inside slant Sunday but Keenum threw to Diggs for a TD instead.

I just think it's funny because you think you have an argument because of what he's done since he's been here but in reality, he's gotten very little opportunity and has two of the leagues best WRs in front of him. He's currently a NUMBER THREE WR. What do you expect him to do?? Have 8 catches a game?? Go find a number 3 in the league that does that. Or better yet, go find me a #3 WR in this league that can overtake Thielen and Diggs.

Quit basing everything off of stats with Treadwell. You do it with Waynes too. "Oh well Peters has a lot of INTs so he is way better than Waynes we should have picked him". "Treadwell is a bust because he caught one pass his rookie year". Try paying closer attention to these guys instead of going on NFL.com to look up their stat line
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Treadwell has had plenty of opportunities to show hes at least an average WR. He hasnt done so. And he isnt even close to what we used to pick him talent wise. Hes a #5 WR at best. Theres always going to be someone better then you if you aernt that good to begin with. No QB is going to wait for Treadwell to get open, nor is an OC going to call his number, when the other guys are getting open much faster. I'd rather keep Wright over Treadwell and Wright isnt one of my favorite players by any means.
It's true that Treadwell hasn't given us a lot of stats to lean on, but I wonder if it's true that he hasn't produced? After all, running routes that leave you open, playing hard, fighting for the ball, blocking with enthusiasm....that's the only aspect of his production that he can handle, and under that lens, I would say he's producing just fine. Obviously he isn't producing to the level of Thielen or Diggs, but few receivers in the league are. Remember how long it took Adam Thielen to start getting targets that many of us thought he was earning early on? I still have a lot of faith in Laquon Treadwell and his work ethic.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Hes been on the field a lot. He doesnt get the job done. Apparently he doesnt get it done in practice either. AT went from the PS to being our #1 WR in a few years. Thats doing the hard work and getting the job done. No excuses.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Hes been on the field a lot. He doesnt get the job done. Apparently he doesnt get it done in practice either. AT went from the PS to being our #1 WR in a few years. Thats doing the hard work and getting the job done. No excuses.
Doesn't get it done in practice how? Where are you getting that information from? Again, he's a NUMBER 3 WR. What do you expect when Thielen, Diggs and Rudy are gobbling up all the targets?! Last I heard, Treadwell is the last to leave the practice field because he's on the jugs machine after practice every day. But you're right, he's not getting it done in practice :roll:

No matter how good he is, he's not taking over Thielen or Diggs. Nobody would right now. So I don't have a clue what you expect. Again, actually take the time to rewatch games and watch what he does. It's not his fault Keenum isn't throwing to him when he's wide open in the end zone. Or Sam didn't when he toasted a New Orleans DB on a double move. He's not going to get the targets with those two there. Quit looking at stat lines and pay attention to the little things. No different than Trae Waynes. You have no backing other than a box score with both of them. People take your opinion with a grain of salt because of it
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Doesn't get it done in practice how? Where are you getting that information from? Again, he's a NUMBER 3 WR. What do you expect when Thielen, Diggs and Rudy are gobbling up all the targets?! Last I heard, Treadwell is the last to leave the practice field because he's on the jugs machine after practice every day. But you're right, he's not getting it done in practice :roll:

No matter how good he is, he's not taking over Thielen or Diggs. Nobody would right now. So I don't have a clue what you expect. Again, actually take the time to rewatch games and watch what he does. It's not his fault Keenum isn't throwing to him when he's wide open in the end zone. Or Sam didn't when he toasted a New Orleans DB on a double move. He's not going to get the targets with those two there. Quit looking at stat lines and pay attention to the little things. No different than Trae Waynes. You have no backing other than a box score with both of them. People take your opinion with a grain of salt because of it
Would you stop telling others what to do? Every time you have a different opinion from someone, you have to insult. Tell me, who do you know that takes my opinion with a grain of salt?

I dont like Waynes, Keenum that much (although he is one of the better backups we have had, and has been both luck and good enough to win games) Treadwell, or Murray. I think they all under perform and Treadwell and Waynes we drafted too high. Until they play better you aernt going to change my mind. Just like I didnt listen to you when I liked Theilen and wanted to see more of him, and you kept asking why. Now you know why. Treadwell has had enough time to impress the coaches before this year. He just hasnt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Would you stop telling others what to do? Every time you have a different opinion from someone, you have to insult. Tell me, who do you know that takes my opinion with a grain of salt?

I dont like Waynes, Keenum that much (although he is one of the better backups we have had, and has been both luck and good enough to win games) Treadwell, or Murray. I think they all under perform and Treadwell and Waynes we drafted too high. Until they play better you aernt going to change my mind. Just like I didnt listen to you when I liked Theilen and wanted to see more of him, and you kept asking why. Now you know why. Treadwell has had enough time to impress the coaches before this year. He just hasnt.
Well I'm not really seeing anyone agree with you so I would say that says a lot wouldn't you? And I'm not "telling others what to do". It was only directed to YOU and I'm saying to stop looking at stats and give me something with some backing behind it. Pay more attention to him. Watch what he does. Because it seems obvious you don't. You base everything off of a box score. This isn't the first time you've done this. Did any coaches say he isn't getting it done in practice? Has anyone said he doesn't have what it takes? Has anyone proved they can overtake him as the number 3? NO. That's just you making assumptions with zero validity. That mixed with a stat line doesn't make a very trustworthy opinion. I guess Michael Floyd and Jarius Wright REALLY aren't doing anything in practice if they can't surpass Treadwell as the number 3 because supposedly he's a "number 5 at best" and "doesn't get it done in practice" according to you. Do you see how invalid/false that sounds now?

And Murray just outperformed McKinnon. Since Cook went down, Murray has had 2 good games and McKinnon has had three. If anything I would say they're both inconsistent. Just because McKinnon had 1 more good game than Murray means nothing. Neither have played consistent but what's important is that one is always running well not matter what. You love talking about Murrays bad games but are awfully quiet about his good ones. No different than Waynes. And as for Keenum, he's proving he's one of the best if not the best backup out there. Nobody is saying he is Peyton Manning. I want Teddy out there too and think Keenum is inconsistent but I don't dislike the guy. How can you he's winning us games? And I'm sure you really knew Adam Thielen was going to become the next best WR in the game. I thought he was nothing but a ST guy and maybe a role player. I was wrong. I have no problem eating crow. But don't act like you thought Thielen was some all star. You thought he could be a role player or a little more. Nowhere near what he's doing now. Everyone and their mother were wrong about Adam Thielen

I could really care less who you like and don't like to be honest. But if you're going to come on here to blast a player and provide nothing but "he's a number 5 WR at best", "he isn't impressing coaches", "he isn't getting it done in practice" then justify it with some facts. Not a bunch of random opinions that have no validity to them. We are all entitled to our own opinion but most of us will bring facts along with it to support it. You didn't. At all. There's more to the game of football than just a stat sheet and many other factors that go into Treadwell and his playing time
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Hes been on the field a lot. He doesnt get the job done. Apparently he doesnt get it done in practice either. AT went from the PS to being our #1 WR in a few years. Thats doing the hard work and getting the job done. No excuses.
Again - is he really not getting the job done? Film analysis shows him open on many plays, he's just not the primary read. It's not a knock on him that Thielen and Diggs are also excelling and are getting seen first. We could view that as an issue with Keenum, but I would disagree. Keenum is completing passes and winning games. We could view that as an issue with Shurmur, but I would disagree with that as well; I think he's caled some brilliant games. We could, like you, view this as a problem with Laquon, but I disagree, as I've already explained. I actually view this as "not a problem at this point", but I'm interested to hear from others.

I would be very interested to see a source that Laquon hasn't been getting it done in practice, since every report I've seen so far contradicts that. If your argument is "Not making plays means he's not practicing hard/well enough" I would argue that the same Adam Thielen that you lauded spent a long time on this roster doing little in our offense - he was still practicing hard, though, right?

Is your feeling that Laquon isn't doing well based on review of his play or review of his stats?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

DK Sweets wrote: Again - is he really not getting the job done? Film analysis shows him open on many plays, he's just not the primary read. It's not a knock on him that Thielen and Diggs are also excelling and are getting seen first. We could view that as an issue with Keenum, but I would disagree. Keenum is completing passes and winning games. We could view that as an issue with Shurmur, but I would disagree with that as well; I think he's caled some brilliant games. We could, like you, view this as a problem with Laquon, but I disagree, as I've already explained. I actually view this as "not a problem at this point", but I'm interested to hear from others.

I would be very interested to see a source that Laquon hasn't been getting it done in practice, since every report I've seen so far contradicts that. If your argument is "Not making plays means he's not practicing hard/well enough" I would argue that the same Adam Thielen that you lauded spent a long time on this roster doing little in our offense - he was still practicing hard, though, right?

Is your feeling that Laquon isn't doing well based on review of his play or review of his stats?
Very good point. And I can bet money it's based on review of his stats. That's why he's so high on Marcus Peters who's been burnt more than Waynes has this year but the stats show a lot of picks for Peters so that's why he's "so much better than Waynes". Bottom line is, if you watch the tape, you'll see Treadwell doing many good things and very little bad things. If you don't want to watch the tape, then I wouldn't expect anyone to buy into your opinion much.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The way I see it, if the Vikes get production out of Treadwell right now that is icing on an otherwise well-decorated cake. I wouldn't be surprised to see Treadwell's name start to show up more as this season wears on. I supported him as a draft choice and still think he has Cris Carter potential.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

No, I don't. Just off the top of my head the steelers recievers are better, Oakland's Wrs are better too. Dallas WRS are just as good if not better. Our QRs are Pretty freaking good IF DIGGS can STAY HEALTHY. Anthony Carter was smaller than Diggs but he could stay on the Field. What an awesome WR A.C. was
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Laserman wrote:No, I don't. Just off the top of my head the steelers recievers are better, Oakland's Wrs are better too. Dallas WRS are just as good if not better. Our QRs are Pretty freaking good IF DIGGS can STAY HEALTHY. Anthony Carter was smaller than Diggs but he could stay on the Field. What an awesome WR A.C. was
Dude I must ask, what on earth are you talking about??

First of all, the leading "receiver" on the Oakland Raiders is Jared Cook right now. Their TE. Cooper and Crabtree cant even out produce their average TE. Thielen is ahead of everyone on that roster by a mile. Diggs is ahead of them all and missed two games. So in no way, shape or form are the Raiders WRs better than ours. Especially right now

Second, the Cowboys. Dez Bryant and Williams are both under 500 yards. Williams is a bum IMO. Diggs and Thielen are both ahead of them and again, Diggs missed two games. Williams hasnt even scored this year.

Third, Brown and I guess Schuster now because Bryant has turned into a flop thats a problem child. They are good but Brown makes them better than what they are IMO. A few years ago, Brown and Bryant were the best tandem by far. But now? I still say Thielen and Diggs are better. If anyone is close to our two WRs, it's the Steelers.

The Cowboys WRs outside of Bryant are pretty pathetic if you ask me. Cooper and Crabtree CAN be good but arent really producing right now. Crabtree is better than Cooper IMO. Cooper has hands of stone and outside of one 200+ yard game, he's done next to nothing this year.

If anyone is going to be compared to our duo, it's Pitt. The other two, especially the Cowboys, arent even close
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

IMO PIT has played OK this year. They have an interesting schedule in that they do face some tougher defensive opponents in the form of NE, MIN, TEN, JAX, and KC. Now talk about schedule making bias, of those 5 legitimate NFL defenses, they play FOUR (!) of them at home, The only road game was at Arrowhead, a game they won against a Chief's D without Eric Barry. Apparently they have paid off the same schedule maker as the Packers...

The win against us was clean, but required a lot of field goals and caught us in week 2 just after Bradford went down, our offense was pathetic. The JAX game saw them throw 5 INT at home, they lost. They beat KC in Arrowhead which is a legit win, holding the Chiefs to just 13 points. They lucked into TEN on Thursday Night and romped them. It was a good win in which TEN failed to play good pass defense. However, it was also on Thursday night at Hienz Field. The Home team has an even bigger advantage on Thursday night than on Sundays or Mondays.

The game to watch will be when the Patriots come to town on December 17th. That will be the next time the Steelers face a tough defense.

The performance last night was an aberration. Going into that game PIT was averaging 20.77 points per game, which would be 20th in the league. They have been plagued by red zone issues this season. To their credit, they have been finding ways to win late in games, but they do not look dominant. They are winning games on the margin. That is a sign of a team on the decline, not one on the rise.

A key metric might just be who is throwing passes to the respective WR. Brown and Juju look great with Big Ben delivering the ball. Would they look as great with Keenum? Brown might, but Schuster?

PIT may very well be the AFC Champion this year, but they do not look as strong as they did last season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I should add to this: A bigger reason for PIT winning is their defense. They are allowing an impressive 16.5 Pt/g. That includes holding a KC team to just 13 points at Arrowhead. Where their offense has been lackluster, their defense has been strong.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:I should add to this: A bigger reason for PIT winning is their defense. They are allowing an impressive 16.5 Pt/g. That includes holding a KC team to just 13 points at Arrowhead. Where their offense has been lackluster, their defense has been strong.
Yes agreed 100%. Big Ben is wearing down. He looked good last night but at the same time, Tennessee is the most pathetic 6-4 team I think I've ever seen. But they are in the worst division in football so thats part of it too. Their defense is terrible and their offense is underperforming and somehow does not have a running game with two studs back their and a good OL.

Pitts defense has been lights out. They are what scares me. Not their offense. We handled them just fine this year.
-Chazz Palminteri