Zimmer knows.....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Zimmer knows.....

Post by Norv Zimmer »

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer knows.....

Post by 808vikingsfan »

conspiracy theory. Zimmer told Case to throw those INTs to make the change a little more plausible. :tongue:

I can see the argument both ways.
One makes sense short term. Go with the hot hand. Winning is the ultimate goal right?
The other makes sense in the long run. Get TB up to speed for the playoffs. Starting TB now can also answer the QB question next year.

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever Zimmer decides. I'm guessing he will base his decision on how well Teddy is doing in practice.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

As usual with Pro Football Talk, that article was a lotta nothing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

But ... Mike Zimmer says he's made his decision, but he's not going to announce it until he's talked to the team about it on Wednesday.

Thinking like a detective, why would he have to talk with the team if he's staying with Keenum, who's won 5 games in a row?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Any notion to change up a winning formula at a critical stretch of the season is just nonsense. I would be completely and utterly shocked to see Zim trot Teddy on the field come Sunday. I think Case would have to self destruct.....possibly twice in order for Zim to put Teddy out there. I will gladly eat crow if it happens but I just don't believe it will without Case falling apart.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Guys on a winning streak and he is going to get benched...makes sense.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

autobon7 wrote:Any notion to change up a winning formula at a critical stretch of the season is just nonsense. I would be completely and utterly shocked to see Zim trot Teddy on the field come Sunday. I think Case would have to self destruct.....possibly twice in order for Zim to put Teddy out there. I will gladly eat crow if it happens but I just don't believe it will without Case falling apart.
Do you think Case can lead us to a Super Bowl victory? If yes, I disagree with you, but I understand your complaints.

If not, I see no sense in at least checking to see what Teddy can do UNLESS you think he is nearly guaranteed to be worse than case, which I think few people believe.

I would rather give Teddy a chance because it appears that he would give us a better chance around week 21. If he flops, we can go back, but we need to know what we're looking at next year if we don't think Case is the guy we should sign to a 5 year 100mil contract.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

So.... if Hundley wins 4 in a row and Rodgers is ready to play, do you sit Rodgers? I'm not comparing Rodgers to Bridgewater but I'm asking this because there are situations where you would sit a QB that is winning. It all depends on the situation. Maybe Bridgewater is lighting it up with the #1s in practice. Maybe because the Rams would know Keenum's weaknesses as well as the Vikings, they may want to play Bridgewater.

On a side note, I've been reading a few Rams forums and the popular consensus is they felt Case was a better QB than Bradford. They felt Case elevated the teams play.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

808vikingsfan wrote:So.... if Hundley wins 4 in a row and Rodgers is ready to play, do you sit Rodgers? I'm not comparing Rodgers to Bridgewater but I'm asking this because there are situations where you would sit a QB that is winning. It all depends on the situation. Maybe Bridgewater is lighting it up with the #1s in practice. Maybe because the Rams would know Keenum's weaknesses as well as the Vikings, they may want to play Bridgewater.

On a side note, I've been reading a few Rams forums and the popular consensus is they felt Case was a better QB than Bradford. They felt Case elevated the teams play.
Well yea because Rodgers at least played this year and last year unlike Bridgewater.

With the Rams its all about which defense exposes their weakness first. They have some scrappy receivers so our dbs have to be on point. And Lets not forget about Gurley.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think that as much as Zimmer may want to start Teddy, and I'm sure he does, I can't see him pull Keenum out at this point.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

John_Viveiros wrote:I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.
Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

808vikingsfan wrote:conspiracy theory. Zimmer told Case to throw those INTs to make the change a little more plausible. :tongue:

I can see the argument both ways.
One makes sense short term. Go with the hot hand. Winning is the ultimate goal right?
The other makes sense in the long run. Get TB up to speed for the playoffs. Starting TB now can also answer the QB question next year.

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever Zimmer decides. I'm guessing he will base his decision on how well Teddy is doing in practice.
I was saying (tongue in cheek at the time) that Kase threw those knowing that If Vikes scored another unanswered TD that Teddy would go in up 3TD to get some live reps then if he looked good he'd stay in... instead with 4TDs and another win "he figures" there's no real reason for Zimmer to pull him next game and no real reason for Teddy to have his first live reps as a starter against a tough opponent.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.
Phillips was gone last year in DEN if I recall. Denver's coaching change does not appear to have been an improvement. Their defense is not nearly as disciplined as it was 2 years ago or even last year. Guys are free lancing, taking chances, etc.

FWIW, I agree on Phillips, I was very surprised they were willing to part ways with him.

I think one of the more under-reported NFL items is the disparity in quality of coaches across the league. IMO one of the most glaring examples of mediocrity is Jason Garrett in Dallas. Another, closer to home variety is McCarthy, but lets keep that under wraps for the time being. :smilevike: Marvin Lewis might be the biggest example, he is well past his sell by date in CIN.

I think coaching issues end up being confined to the local media market, rarely do we see them talked about on a national basis, outside of all the Belicik praise. (Which he deserves, he is as great as they say. A true trailblazer/innovator and the rest of the league still hasn't caught up to him after over 16 years.)

Another interesting one is Pete Carrol. He does makes technical and strategic mistakes that hurt his team. (Malcom Butler INT in the super bowl anyone?) But, he has the most motivated team in the league. The Seahawks play with a unique level of passion. Belicik made the comment that they NEVER take a play off. Every single play they bring the lumber. That is a special talent from Carrol. I'd take Belicik's resume over Carrol, but you have to give it to the man when it comes to motivating his players.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't see why Zimmer would need to talk to the team first if he has decided that Keenum will continue as the starter. He simply would just say that Case is the starter for Sunday, no team conversation needed. I think he will say Teddy is starting.

I think that this is a career decision for Zimmer, if TB comes in and plays good Zim is a genius. If TB comes in and plays terrible people will be calling for his head.

One thing I think TB has going for him is his feel good story, the whole team seems to love TB and because of this I think they will rally around him and play at 110%.

Either way I hope we beat the Rams!