View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:12 pm



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zimmer knows..... 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 827
Post Zimmer knows.....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rams-game/


Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 3220
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
conspiracy theory. Zimmer told Case to throw those INTs to make the change a little more plausible. :tongue:

I can see the argument both ways.
One makes sense short term. Go with the hot hand. Winning is the ultimate goal right?
The other makes sense in the long run. Get TB up to speed for the playoffs. Starting TB now can also answer the QB question next year.

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever Zimmer decides. I'm guessing he will base his decision on how well Teddy is doing in practice.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
As usual with Pro Football Talk, that article was a lotta nothing.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
But ... Mike Zimmer says he's made his decision, but he's not going to announce it until he's talked to the team about it on Wednesday.

Thinking like a detective, why would he have to talk with the team if he's staying with Keenum, who's won 5 games in a row?

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 1021
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Any notion to change up a winning formula at a critical stretch of the season is just nonsense. I would be completely and utterly shocked to see Zim trot Teddy on the field come Sunday. I think Case would have to self destruct.....possibly twice in order for Zim to put Teddy out there. I will gladly eat crow if it happens but I just don't believe it will without Case falling apart.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1705
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Guys on a winning streak and he is going to get benched...makes sense.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2910
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
autobon7 wrote:
Any notion to change up a winning formula at a critical stretch of the season is just nonsense. I would be completely and utterly shocked to see Zim trot Teddy on the field come Sunday. I think Case would have to self destruct.....possibly twice in order for Zim to put Teddy out there. I will gladly eat crow if it happens but I just don't believe it will without Case falling apart.
Do you think Case can lead us to a Super Bowl victory? If yes, I disagree with you, but I understand your complaints.

If not, I see no sense in at least checking to see what Teddy can do UNLESS you think he is nearly guaranteed to be worse than case, which I think few people believe.

I would rather give Teddy a chance because it appears that he would give us a better chance around week 21. If he flops, we can go back, but we need to know what we're looking at next year if we don't think Case is the guy we should sign to a 5 year 100mil contract.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 3220
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
So.... if Hundley wins 4 in a row and Rodgers is ready to play, do you sit Rodgers? I'm not comparing Rodgers to Bridgewater but I'm asking this because there are situations where you would sit a QB that is winning. It all depends on the situation. Maybe Bridgewater is lighting it up with the #1s in practice. Maybe because the Rams would know Keenum's weaknesses as well as the Vikings, they may want to play Bridgewater.

On a side note, I've been reading a few Rams forums and the popular consensus is they felt Case was a better QB than Bradford. They felt Case elevated the teams play.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm
Posts: 346
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
808vikingsfan wrote:
So.... if Hundley wins 4 in a row and Rodgers is ready to play, do you sit Rodgers? I'm not comparing Rodgers to Bridgewater but I'm asking this because there are situations where you would sit a QB that is winning. It all depends on the situation. Maybe Bridgewater is lighting it up with the #1s in practice. Maybe because the Rams would know Keenum's weaknesses as well as the Vikings, they may want to play Bridgewater.

On a side note, I've been reading a few Rams forums and the popular consensus is they felt Case was a better QB than Bradford. They felt Case elevated the teams play.


Well yea because Rodgers at least played this year and last year unlike Bridgewater.

With the Rams its all about which defense exposes their weakness first. They have some scrappy receivers so our dbs have to be on point. And Lets not forget about Gurley.


Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:30 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5704
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
I think that as much as Zimmer may want to start Teddy, and I'm sure he does, I can't see him pull Keenum out at this point.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 am
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2449
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24170
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
John_Viveiros wrote:
I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.


Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 am
Profile
Starter

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
808vikingsfan wrote:
conspiracy theory. Zimmer told Case to throw those INTs to make the change a little more plausible. :tongue:

I can see the argument both ways.
One makes sense short term. Go with the hot hand. Winning is the ultimate goal right?
The other makes sense in the long run. Get TB up to speed for the playoffs. Starting TB now can also answer the QB question next year.

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever Zimmer decides. I'm guessing he will base his decision on how well Teddy is doing in practice.

I was saying (tongue in cheek at the time) that Kase threw those knowing that If Vikes scored another unanswered TD that Teddy would go in up 3TD to get some live reps then if he looked good he'd stay in... instead with 4TDs and another win "he figures" there's no real reason for Zimmer to pull him next game and no real reason for Teddy to have his first live reps as a starter against a tough opponent.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3387
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
dead_poet wrote:
John_Viveiros wrote:
I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.


Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.


Phillips was gone last year in DEN if I recall. Denver's coaching change does not appear to have been an improvement. Their defense is not nearly as disciplined as it was 2 years ago or even last year. Guys are free lancing, taking chances, etc.

FWIW, I agree on Phillips, I was very surprised they were willing to part ways with him.


I think one of the more under-reported NFL items is the disparity in quality of coaches across the league. IMO one of the most glaring examples of mediocrity is Jason Garrett in Dallas. Another, closer to home variety is McCarthy, but lets keep that under wraps for the time being. :smilevike: Marvin Lewis might be the biggest example, he is well past his sell by date in CIN.

I think coaching issues end up being confined to the local media market, rarely do we see them talked about on a national basis, outside of all the Belicik praise. (Which he deserves, he is as great as they say. A true trailblazer/innovator and the rest of the league still hasn't caught up to him after over 16 years.)

Another interesting one is Pete Carrol. He does makes technical and strategic mistakes that hurt his team. (Malcom Butler INT in the super bowl anyone?) But, he has the most motivated team in the league. The Seahawks play with a unique level of passion. Belicik made the comment that they NEVER take a play off. Every single play they bring the lumber. That is a special talent from Carrol. I'd take Belicik's resume over Carrol, but you have to give it to the man when it comes to motivating his players.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 827
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
I don't see why Zimmer would need to talk to the team first if he has decided that Keenum will continue as the starter. He simply would just say that Case is the starter for Sunday, no team conversation needed. I think he will say Teddy is starting.

I think that this is a career decision for Zimmer, if TB comes in and plays good Zim is a genius. If TB comes in and plays terrible people will be calling for his head.

One thing I think TB has going for him is his feel good story, the whole team seems to love TB and because of this I think they will rally around him and play at 110%.

Either way I hope we beat the Rams!


Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5704
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Norv Zimmer wrote:
I think that this is a career decision for Zimmer, if TB comes in and plays good Zim is a genius. If TB comes in and plays terrible people will be calling for his head.


Bingo, which is why he can't afford to take the risk of changing up starting QBs at this point in the season. If the Vikes were sucking and out of the mix I'm sure Bridgewater would go in, but as it stands Zimmer has way too much to lose if he switches up the QB position right now.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24170
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Zimmer announced it's Case

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:24 am
Posts: 1555
Location: south minneapolis
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
dead_poet wrote:
Zimmer announced it's Case


So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?

_________________
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."


Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24170
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
PsyDanny wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Zimmer announced it's Case


So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?


Competitive advantage?

I think there was a 50-50 chance Teddy would have started this one a few weeks ago. Zimmer himself has said he's "had a plan." I'm guessing Case's play altered that.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:00 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 585
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
PsyDanny wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Zimmer announced it's Case


So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?

I think he just wanted to keep the Rams guessing for as long as possible.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 18249
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
dead_poet wrote:
PsyDanny wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Zimmer announced it's Case


So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?


Competitive advantage?

I think there was a 50-50 chance Teddy would have started this one a few weeks ago. Zimmer himself has said he's "had a plan." I'm guessing Case's play altered that.
I agree. It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬


Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5704
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?


Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24170
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
VikingLord wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?


Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.


Agreed. He'd have to have a pretty terrible first half. But if the Vikings find themselves down by two or more scores going into halftime with Case having stalled the offense or had a turnover or two it's conceivable Zimmer gives Teddy a shot to try and get a boost in production.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1705
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
dead_poet wrote:
John_Viveiros wrote:
I just remembered...

Case will be going up against his old team on Sunday. He knows the Rams defense and their individual tendencies as well as anyone in the league. I'm guessing that's enough to give him the start, and hold Teddy back at least another week.

I don't know why Teddy can't get the first drive of the second quarter, or something like that. We need to get him on the field in a real game to let him adjust to game speed again.


Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.


Yep Wade moved.
Wade has always done a good job as defensive coordinator . So Rams D is going to be tough.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1705
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
VikingLord wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?


Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.


I think this week and next week Case will be starting QB, 2 really important games.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2449
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?

I'm wondering if his plan is to get Teddy into the game for a series, at home, at some point. That's the kind of thing that would require a team meeting to make sure everyone knew what was happening and why. I know this type of thing "isn't done" in the NFL, but you often take out your stud RB or WR for a breather or a series - why not do the same with the QB position?


Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4914
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
VikingLord wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?


Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.


See thats what tough. I said this about Blair Walsh last year. I said when he was missing all those FGs and XPs, "I swear Zimmer is waiting for Walsh to lose us a game" and sure enough, he lost us that Detroit game due to his missed XP. If he made it, Detroit would have had to drive 80 yards and score a TD but instead they had to drive 40 yards to make a FG and bring it to OT.

Why wait for someone to lose us a game. At the same time, I cant blame him because Case is playing well but at the same time, he makes me very nervous because he tends to make a lot of dumb throws. And at the same time, we have no idea how Teddy will play. I thought this was the best game to have Teddy start because it was home and with the crowd alone, we would have so much momentum going before the game even starts. I hope he's making the right decision. I sure dont want Teddy's first bit of action be in the playoffs

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 799
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
VikingLord wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?

Why wait for someone to lose us a game.


I won't pretend to know what is in Zimmer's mind, but I personally see some wisdom in giving a person the opportunity to succeed. If they do, both the player and the organization grow and improve. I like to think Zimmer is building a culture. Inspiring players despite poor play could well be a part of that. Eventually you have to let problematic parts of team go and replace them with better parts, but the very act of the timing of such a decision affects not only the short-term health of the team, but the long term culture of the team as well. I find it hard to imagine a lot of winning attitude if every player feels like they are one mistake from being replaced. OTOH, playing with confidence that a mistake is to be overcome with an even more exceptional positive play and you will be given an opportunity to do that is a winning culture IMO. The SEA playoff miss was such a mistake for Walsh. He was given an opportunity to overcome, but finally had to be released for the good of the team. But think of the upside if he *had* made it, regained form and carried on. Perhaps Zimmer thought *that* was something worth the risk.

Not at all sure if that spin is in any way shape or form related to reality, but I kind of like to think it might be.

_________________
Craig S
Image


Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5704
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?


Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.


See thats what tough. I said this about Blair Walsh last year. I said when he was missing all those FGs and XPs, "I swear Zimmer is waiting for Walsh to lose us a game" and sure enough, he lost us that Detroit game due to his missed XP. If he made it, Detroit would have had to drive 80 yards and score a TD but instead they had to drive 40 yards to make a FG and bring it to OT.

Why wait for someone to lose us a game. At the same time, I cant blame him because Case is playing well but at the same time, he makes me very nervous because he tends to make a lot of dumb throws. And at the same time, we have no idea how Teddy will play. I thought this was the best game to have Teddy start because it was home and with the crowd alone, we would have so much momentum going before the game even starts. I hope he's making the right decision. I sure dont want Teddy's first bit of action be in the playoffs


Maybe the Vikes can have the best of both worlds - just get way ahead by the start of the 4th and then Bridgewater can come out and play without any pressure in front of fans who would go wild to see him out there... :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:


Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 3220
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Zimmer knows.....
Cris Carter knows...

Zachary Banning‏ @zachbanning

Cris Carter: "I've talked to people in Minnesota, Teddy will be playing in a couple weeks."

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ocampo82 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.