Week 10 Reaction Thread: Vikings-Redskins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 10 Reaction Thread: Vikings-Redskins

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:I'm out of the country and couldn't watch the game. Wtf happened? I'm glad we won but can someone give me a summary? That is not the score I was expecting!
One of those games where the defense couldn't stop the offense on either side. Maybe 3 punts total all game? Vikings were up 3 scores and then bad case showed up for just two throws. Led the Vikings to a solid lead, helped the Redskins get right back in it. He was on point for most of the game though.

Redskins are a good team. I think Cousins gets rattled pretty easily. Missed a few opportunities today
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Hah, I was going to say Case gets rattled quickly. He sure wasnt the same after that first INT. The game couldnt end quick enough for me.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I have a feeling they are gonna let Bridgewater start next week. It's gonna be a big mistake too and downright ruin this season. I see it coming. Zimmer can't wait to put "His Guy" back in there despite the success all around saying stay the course. I see it coming. Better hope Bridgewater has turned into superman cause this will crush Keenum's confidence. I don't see Teddy being much better anyway. You just don't mess with something that is working.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I'm kind of torn on this QB thing. I remember being excited about Teddy and the team going into last year, but I also remember how his passes seem to float over the middle and how he was too comfortable throwing balls out of bounds at critical times. I feel Iike last year the braintrust realized that Sam was the most talented QB for the team but they had to walk this tightrope because of locker room loyalty to Teddy and Sam's injury history. They lucked into Case who has performed better than expected but aside from today and the Tampa game, I feel that Case has been pretty average. The Lion's game, the first half in London, Pittsburgh were all underwhelming.

I believe that the best thing would be to bring in Teddy off the bench when Case has one of his slow starts or we are in desperation mode. The team gets an emotional lift and no one says I told you so if Teddy starts and is ineffective.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

S197 wrote:I'm out of the country and couldn't watch the game. Wtf happened? I'm glad we won but can someone give me a summary? That is not the score I was expecting!
Game higlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElT590QmTY
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I consider myself to be one of the biggest Teddy homers on this site. I admit it. But even I dont think we change anything. This is Case's team. Just like it would have been Teddy's or Sam's if they were the ones filling in for the starters, and won the games Case has. But then Case made 2 of the worst throws ive ever seen, one was a jump ball to anyone in the area, and the other, I havent got a clue who he was throwing it too, or how he is so lucky with that type of pass, not to get even more INTs. Unless Case gets hurt, or cant hot the broad side of a barn and starts being an INT machine, even Zimmer will have to stick with him, despite wanting Teddy in the game.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laserman wrote:I have a feeling they are gonna let Bridgewater start next week. It's gonna be a big mistake too and downright ruin this season. I see it coming. Zimmer can't wait to put "His Guy" back in there despite the success all around saying stay the course. I see it coming. Better hope Bridgewater has turned into superman cause this will crush Keenum's confidence. I don't see Teddy being much better anyway. You just don't mess with something that is working.
It won't do jack to Case's confidence. He's a backup. He knows the situation. Heck, he's said he's a Teddy fan. Each will support the other and the decision.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

petev_sj wrote: Game higlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElT590QmTY
Thanks.

I didn't get the game in my area, either, so that was fun!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Random thoughts.

Keenum with a near perfect game. Two bad throws, two throws that sailed, but otherwise you can't ask for anything more.
Thielen. My favorite play was his effort to get the first down on a 3rd and 2 late in the game.
OL. Big holes for Murray, not a single sack given up, 0 offsides, 1 holding penalty. Solid. The reason this offense is clicking.
Play calling in the redzone. Great playcalling, great execution.

Good to have Sendejo back. Couple of big plays today.
Joseph was nearly killing people out there.
Just a good (and bad) team effort on the D. Made stops when the needed to.

Kai Forbath. Clutch FG.
They need to do something about that field. It's like painted dirt. Hope the Vikings play the Redskins in Minnesota next time.

Huge win.

It's fun to be in the playoff mix at this time of the year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I thought that generally it was a solid game in all three phases. It was a road game coming out of the bye against a football team that is much better than their record. Beyond "a win is a win", they showed that their success is sustainable and that they can adapt and overcome adversity.

The team as a whole is clicking but there were a lot of individual efforts that made the difference in the game, a couple that come to mind were when Keenum was enveloped by line men but was able to navigate his way out and complete a pass for the first down. Also when AT caught a pass well short of the first down and appeared to be dead to rights as he had a few redskins around him and ahead of him but he was able to make a single move and surge forward to get the first down.

As far as Keenums interceptions, I feel that the first one was just as good as a crappy punt, it was 3rd down and it appeared that everthing was covered, why not give your guy a chance as opposed to playing for the punt. The second one was a bit more concerning for me as it ended up with them having great field position, but if keenum had noticed the defender, put a little more zip on the ball or through it up higher where only Rudolph could get it the interception wouldnt have happened. Also, great effort by Keenum after during the run back to prevent the TD and cause a fumble.

I am a Teddy backer along with most here but also agree with most here that i think we should continue to roll with Case. Not only do I think he is playing above himself, but he also seems to have a good rapport with the other players on offense. The Rams game is going to be one of our toughest games this year and though i know that Teddy starting his first game at home would cause a nuclear level ovation that may blow the doors of the stadium, i just dont think the matchup is a good one for his first live NFL action in 14 months.

Overall, i had a good day yesterday and cant wait until next Sunday, this game has made me more confident about the rest of our tough stretch, 3-2 almost seems easy now and 4-1 or 5-0 are much easier to hope for.

EDIT: Some other thoughts, Great red zone efficiency, capitalized off the Alexnader interception, Diggs and AT made Josh Norman look pedestrian.
Formerly AADPFan
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote:Random thoughts.

Keenum with a near perfect game. Two bad throws, two throws that sailed, but otherwise you can't ask for anything more.
Thielen. My favorite play was his effort to get the first down on a 3rd and 2 late in the game.
OL. Big holes for Murray, not a single sack given up, 0 offsides, 1 holding penalty. Solid. The reason this offense is clicking.
Play calling in the redzone. Great playcalling, great execution.

Good to have Sendejo back. Couple of big plays today.
Joseph was nearly killing people out there.
Just a good (and bad) team effort on the D. Made stops when the needed to.

Kai Forbath. Clutch FG.
They need to do something about that field. It's like painted dirt. Hope the Vikings play the Redskins in Minnesota next time.

Huge win.

It's fun to be in the playoff mix at this time of the year.
Great collection of observations. Lineal absolutely CRUSHED several of the Skins WRs and RBs. I mentally connect the way he looked after Everson's pregame speech, with that hit. He's a bad man.

Agree on the play calling in RZ. Especially the David Morgan and Jarius Wright TDs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Overall,

-Case started out great but his true colors showed towards the end.
-Murray ran well all day I thought. His YPC dropped towards the end when we were killing clock
-Diggs and Thielen dominated their secondary.
-OL played phenomenal. I just cant get over how drastic the improvement has been there

-We really struggled to get a rush without Everson. I figured Bower wouldve been active but I guess not.
-Kendricks is easily the most underrated player on this defense by far.
-It seemed like they attacked out LBs more than our DBs.
-Guys are getting down on the D for whatever reason but I dont agree. I wasnt that impressed with Cousins today. No less he was given 10 points due to Keenums picks. He had a completion percentage in the 50's. Threw a pick. Wasnt good on third down. But just because we gave up 30 points to a pretty good offense, guys are worried. I'm not. At all. It was practically 20 points and we were missing our defensive MVP.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't get the "true colors" thing for Case. He has 5 INTs all year, two on consecutive plays. He also had 4 TDs. I don't think the 4 TDs is his true colors, but neither are the two INTs.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Overall,

-Case started out great but his true colors showed towards the end.
-Murray ran well all day I thought. His YPC dropped towards the end when we were killing clock
-Diggs and Thielen dominated their secondary.
-OL played phenomenal. I just cant get over how drastic the improvement has been there

-We really struggled to get a rush without Everson. I figured Bower wouldve been active but I guess not.
-Kendricks is easily the most underrated player on this defense by far.
-It seemed like they attacked out LBs more than our DBs.
-Guys are getting down on the D for whatever reason but I dont agree. I wasnt that impressed with Cousins today. No less he was given 10 points due to Keenums picks. He had a completion percentage in the 50's. Threw a pick. Wasnt good on third down. But just because we gave up 30 points to a pretty good offense, guys are worried. I'm not. At all. It was practically 20 points and we were missing our defensive MVP.

Or were Keenum's "true colors" what we'd seen the other 59 minutes of the game? Your take seems biased.

I agree with you on Murray. He looked better yesterday; less hesitant.

They picked on our LBs coverage skills and on Mac on that one long ball. Agree on Kendricks. Barr is a guy who is a bit frustrating. He flies, but often he misses on tackles because he doesn't control himself. His explosiveness DOES create mayhem, though, so maybe he's doing what Zimmer wants him to do--i.e. make runners cut back into other tacklers.