Hasan: Start Teddy Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Hasan: Start Teddy Bridgewater

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What If Teddy craps the bed? Is that ok?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Then you go back to Keenum. We have to see what we have in Teddy. We cant just go into playoffs sitting a better QB just because we are too scared to start him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is three INTs in three games bad? Why do people keep bring that up? Hell even Tom Brady has had games where he threw three INTs.

It's not "bad" but it's worrisome. His play has fell off. That's pretty obvious. Went from turning the ball over zero times to dropping 3 picks recently. He has been very erratic as well. Not sure how fans arent seeing that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... d-vikings/

Stats don't tell the whole story, but these are some interesting stat's.

Start him ASAP. Its a no brainer. Keenum is not the future. Rams game makes perfect sense. If Keenum struggles at all vs. WA, Teddy will take over. They know what they have in both of these guys, its not like these coaches are new to football. If the fans can see the glaring differences, surely the coaches are on top of it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Another article advocating for his start. A little unfair/harsh to Case and Sam though.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Don't fix what isn't broken - Keenum should remain the starter.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'll qualify my last post.

I believe the Vikes activated Bridgewater because their hand was forced with Bradford going on IR. They know Teddy is not ready to start, but at the same time, he's a better reserve option at this point than anyone else available to them. He could technically play and may even have to play, but the coaches would prefer he not unless they have no other choice.

I would love to be wrong on the above, but throwing Teddy into the mix if he's not ready, no matter how much fan support he gets or how hyped he is, would be a bigger disaster than any amount of inaccurate throws Keenum could conjure up for the rest of this season.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

It feels like the question has gone from "Which QB should start?" to "How healthy do you think Teddy is?"

If you can answer that second question, I can pretty well determine what your answer to the first question is.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is three INTs in three games bad? Why do people keep bring that up? Hell even Tom Brady has had games where he threw three INTs.
I had an opinion of Daunte Culpepper that diverged from nearly everyone else's, because he was a bit of a turnover machine with us. At one time, I calculated that he was worth about one and a half turnovers per game (lots of lost fumbles). That was just too much.

Turning the ball over once per game is probably average to good. Matt Stafford averaged a bit above a turnover per game in his first few years, and a bit under since then, as an example.

Case didn't have any turnovers in the first few games, so he's actually playing worse now that we're consistently winning :lol: . So we don't know if it's just a statistical wiggle, or if teams are getting enough tape on him to shut him down a bit. I read an article that said that was likely to happen, FWIW. You can argue that he's played some tough defenses, even if they weren't attached to good offensive teams (Browns, Bears, Lions, Steelers, Ravens - all to some degree).
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

YikesVikes wrote:He's a backup that has thrown INTs in his last 3 games. Also, when he signed here, he had to know the situation. Teddy was a mainstay here. He had to know that there was a potential that Teddy would be back. He was always supposed to be #2.
3 int's, 2 were tipped passes....really!!
Case is a backup? He has started every game but one.

I think the 2nd half it will be a 2 QB effort. Not necessary any order....Team effort.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

DK Sweets wrote:It feels like the question has gone from "Which QB should start?" to "How healthy do you think Teddy is?"

If you can answer that second question, I can pretty well determine what your answer to the first question is.

I agree with your assessment of the mood. I think there are a lot of other issues with regards to Teddy fitting into the current offense, not the least of which are his likely lack of rapport with Adam Thielen (in the sense he's never thrown to him in a game before) and lack of any time playing with the current OC.

I think on that football stuff we have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. They got SB up to speed last year in 3 weeks. This is a rare instance where we can say "they've done it before." I just hope they are conservative on this and do not produce another "Josh Freeman Game". They came close in starting SB on MNF @ Soldier Field a few weeks ago, but at least they had the good sense to pull him. Let us hope they do not go down that road with TB.

I'm taking what I think is a conservative view on this: Until they are sure TB is at 95% of Keenum, they probably need to play Keenum. They'll run risk of losing the locker room and potentially dropping some winnable games during a tough stretch of the schedule if they start TB too soon. They've got a good thing going right now momentum/ confidence wise and that should not be discarded carelessly just because they believe TB has a higher ceiling than Keenum. They need to keep playing at a high level and continuing to win. After the injuries to SEA last night we have the undisputed best defense in the NFL. It's time to capitalize.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

John_Viveiros wrote: I had an opinion of Daunte Culpepper that diverged from nearly everyone else's, because he was a bit of a turnover machine with us. At one time, I calculated that he was worth about one and a half turnovers per game (lots of lost fumbles). That was just too much.

Turning the ball over once per game is probably average to good. Matt Stafford averaged a bit above a turnover per game in his first few years, and a bit under since then, as an example.

Case didn't have any turnovers in the first few games, so he's actually playing worse now that we're consistently winning [emoji38] . So we don't know if it's just a statistical wiggle, or if teams are getting enough tape on him to shut him down a bit. I read an article that said that was likely to happen, FWIW. You can argue that he's played some tough defenses, even if they weren't attached to good offensive teams (Browns, Bears, Lions, Steelers, Ravens - all to some degree).
I had the same feelings on Culpepper. He had an incredible cannon for an arm and was fairly accurate, but he threw INTs and fumbled at the worst possible times every game.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

mansquatch wrote:I agree with your assessment of the mood. I think there are a lot of other issues with regards to Teddy fitting into the current offense, not the least of which are his likely lack of rapport with Adam Thielen (in the sense he's never thrown to him in a game before) and lack of any time playing with the current OC.
I have a really strong memory of Teddy throwing a long TD pass to Thielen from right to left along the far sidelines, and looking back at the game logs, it must have been the Chicago game in 2014 - last game of the season.

I just looked for it, and here are the highlights: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412280 ... &tab=recap
It looks like a pretty good rapport there!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

If bridgewater is the future the future is looking dim. There is no reason case should be benched. But if he is I will look forward to Teddy’s 190 yard passing games with 1 td if we are lucky. That’s probably about his average over two years his stats are easily bottom 5 starters in the league.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mosscarter wrote:If bridgewater is the future the future is looking dim. There is no reason case should be benched. But if he is I will look forward to Teddy’s 190 yard passing games with 1 td if we are lucky. That’s probably about his average over two years his stats are easily bottom 5 starters in the league.
Cool story, bro. Does it matter Bridgewater had the fewest attempts in 2015, effectively attempting half a season's worth of passes than the median passers that year? Not to mention playing behind one of the worst pass-blocking lines in the last decade throwing to Charles Johnson and Mike Wallace? Probably doesn't fit your narrative, I get it. What were Case's stats in week 5?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
darrenjohn89
Waterboy

Post by darrenjohn89 »

No because the people who don't like Teddy Bridgewater will look for anything they can to make him look bad they don't care that the offense of line was horrible or that we ran it to Adrian Peterson two out of three Downs or that we didn't have receivers they only want to say what makes them sound right I don't care what they say Teddy Bridgewater is a winner and with a way better offense of line and way better wide receivers more balanced running backs and an extra year in the league watching game tape and learning how it's done without being on the field Teddy will be a better quarterback and he already has the it Factor. Teddy Bridgewater can bring us to the Super Bowl he can win a game in the playoffs when we need them to. Case won't lose Us games hopefully, but he isn't going to come through in the clutch that I see