Sam-Teddy-Case thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Sam-Teddy-Case thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Found this article. Don't agree with a lot of it but just thought I'd post it. They have the clip where Case missed Diggs for the TD. You can't hit every open receiver and I think leadership is much more important than stats for a QB. I've been thoroughly impressed with Keenum so far this year. He has limitations, but he makes up for them in other ways.

The mediocrity of Case Keenum
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Found this article. Don't agree with a lot of it but just thought I'd post it. They have the clip where Case missed Diggs for the TD. You can't hit every open receiver and I think leadership is much more important than stats for a QB. I've been thoroughly impressed with Keenum so far this year. He has limitations, but he makes up for them in other ways.

Yeah, that play to Diggs wasn't really one where he could complete the pass -- he was rolling to his left and would have had to throw deep over the middle. Maybe a Matthew Stafford could make that throw.

The one where Thielen was wide open and he threw to Treadwell, whom he never looked away from and almost got picked? Yeah, that was bad. As the poster said -- pump fake to Treadwell left (as he did) and throw back to Thielen down the middle, and it's an easy six. We didn't see enough of Teddy with a decent offense to know whether he would have made that play, but my feeling is he would have. Sam almost certainly would have.

I don't think Case is the long-term quarterback for the Vikings. I'm just not sure about the timing for bringing Teddy back. Whatever the Vikings decide, I'll be good with it. Not like we're trotting Spergon Wynn out there.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote:Found this article. Don't agree with a lot of it but just thought I'd post it. They have the clip where Case missed Diggs for the TD. You can't hit every open receiver and I think leadership is much more important than stats for a QB. I've been thoroughly impressed with Keenum so far this year. He has limitations, but he makes up for them in other ways.

Yeah I have mentioned the reads he's been missing before. That worries me. But like Kapp said, no matter who we put out there, we will have a legit shot to win.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

If Bradford is not ready next week I think you still roll with Case. I'm still upset with Bradfords last appearance.....did the staff REALLY think he could go? Didn't look like he was even capable of going to the grocery store let alone being trotted out on the field. What was going on? Never the less I think it would be a mistake to throw TB out right after the bye week. If anything it would be smart (& kinda cool) to see a mix of Case and TB. What do you guys think?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

autobon7 wrote:If Bradford is not ready next week I think you still roll with Case. I'm still upset with Bradfords last appearance.....did the staff REALLY think he could go? Didn't look like he was even capable of going to the grocery store let alone being trotted out on the field. What was going on? Never the less I think it would be a mistake to throw TB out right after the bye week. If anything it would be smart (& kinda cool) to see a mix of Case and TB. What do you guys think?
Not a fan of that idea.

Offensive linemen talk all the time about how different quarterbacks require different setups in protection. That's because every quarterback sets up differently. Some are 7 yards deep and tend to escape the pocket. Some are 8-9 yards deep and like to step up. Also, their cadences are different. Case has talked about how much he and the O-line have worked together just on cadence. Mixing quarterbacks makes it tough on the offensive line.

Before his injury, I would have said that Teddy Bridgewater was far and away better than Case Keenum. But we don't know what we have with Teddy at this point. Also, I wonder whether he's actually ready to play in a game, or if the Vikings are considering activating him simply because if they want to use him later, the rules mandate that they activate him now. It's in the Vikings' best financial interest to not activate him, so the only thing I can think is there may be more to Bradford's injury than the Vikings are letting on.

I wish there was more video of Teddy in practice. So far, the only video I've seen is that first day he returned, and all that video showed was him trotting on the field, handing off the ball, and tossing it on a sweep. It was nothing more than a "yay, Teddy's back on the field" PR vid.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

autobon7 wrote:If Bradford is not ready next week I think you still roll with Case. I'm still upset with Bradfords last appearance.....did the staff REALLY think he could go? Didn't look like he was even capable of going to the grocery store let alone being trotted out on the field. What was going on? Never the less I think it would be a mistake to throw TB out right after the bye week. If anything it would be smart (& kinda cool) to see a mix of Case and TB. What do you guys think?
My bet is that Sam won't be ready. Case will start against the Redskins. When they come home Teddy will start, Case will be backup and I expect Bradford to hit IR. That will be the end of Bradford's Vikings career.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Not a fan of that idea.

Offensive linemen talk all the time about how different quarterbacks require different setups in protection. That's because every quarterback sets up differently. Some are 7 yards deep and tend to escape the pocket. Some are 8-9 yards deep and like to step up. Also, their cadences are different. Case has talked about how much he and the O-line have worked together just on cadence. Mixing quarterbacks makes it tough on the offensive line.

Before his injury, I would have said that Teddy Bridgewater was far and away better than Case Keenum. But we don't know what we have with Teddy at this point. Also, I wonder whether he's actually ready to play in a game, or if the Vikings are considering activating him simply because if they want to use him later, the rules mandate that they activate him now. It's in the Vikings' best financial interest to not activate him, so the only thing I can think is there may be more to Bradford's injury than the Vikings are letting on.

I wish there was more video of Teddy in practice. So far, the only video I've seen is that first day he returned, and all that video showed was him trotting on the field, handing off the ball, and tossing it on a sweep. It was nothing more than a "yay, Teddy's back on the field" PR vid.

Very good points made Kapp.....in regards to the OL and cadence. I'm not sure I agree with TB (pre injury) being far and away better than Keenum. In all fairness to Teddy he had a much different offense around him than what Case has. I could not stand Turner and like Shurmur. No AP and a better OL. We may never know the answer if TB isn't the same or can't stay healthy.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Vikings

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Vikings will activate Teddy Bridgewater (knee, PUP) in Week 10.

The deadline to activate Bridgewater is Wednesday. Now 14 months removed from a torn ACL, Bridgewater will resume full practice this week in anticipation of his activation next Sunday against Washington. Case Keenum is still the favorite to start, but should be on a short leash now that Bridgewater is back at full strength. Sam Bradford (knee) remains out indefinitely.
Source: CBS Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Keenum being on a short leash pisses me off. The guy is 5-2. This will not end well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Sam's knee really has me puzzled. Just wonder what he really has going on.
When getting them treatments in New York, as many shots as what I read he was getting, his body shouldn't be feeling any pain at all.
Should have known when he got a second opinion that there was more going on. I think the day Sam started at the Bears there was a lot going on behind the scenes that wasn't being talked about.

To all the people implying that Keenum sucks and needs to be benched...careful what you wish for.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Keenum being on a short leash pisses me off. The guy is 5-2. This will not end well.

Unless he's tanking or injured they won't pull him mid-game, if that's your worry.

If he loses to Washington and looks bad in the process...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote: Unless he's tanking or injured they won't pull him mid-game, if that's your worry.

If he loses to Washington and looks bad in the process...
As long as he keeps winning, leave him in. I am very nervous about Teddy coming in with more rust that will lose games for us.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:As long as he keeps winning, leave him in. I am very nervous about Teddy coming in with more rust that will lose games for us.

Per Sage Rosenfels, it takes a few series (not games) to "knock the rust off" after getting in full reps.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

You mean hall of famer Sage Rosenfels?

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:You mean hall of famer Sage Rosenfels?

Don't think you need to be a hall of famer to know how long it takes to shake the rust off. In fact, being a career backup qb probably has more experience with rust than a hall of famer that starts almost every game
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014