Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I said that when we drafted Waynes. Many fans would complain about Waynes and say we should've drafted Peters but there was a reason Peters wasnt picked first over Waynes. He was a notable idiot in college and its translating to the NFL. He doesnt fit the bill with this team. Everyone on this team is all about the team. Peters does what he wants when he wants and is an idiot towards the media
WHat has he done in the pros that makes him an idiot
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: WHat has he done in the pros that makes him an idiot
Have you listened to the guy talk to the media?? Swearing on front of them and acting like an a**. He's already had run-ins with fans after he got embarrassed by Washington this year. He's butted heads with the coaching staff. And is selfishly joining the kneeling during the anthem crap. Act like a damn pro. The anthem thing is what it is. But you're battling with fans?? Just like that giant dud Donald Penn recently did?? You're swearing in front of the media acting like an a**?? Grow up. He's a ticking time bomb. Just like Beckham is. It's a matter of time before they get suspended for something or go off the handle because they cant control their tempers and attitudes. I cant stand watching athletes like that. I enjoy the Teddy's, Danielle Hunters, Eric Kendricks, Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smiths of the world that shut their mouth and play the game and play it damn well. Not some hot head that thinks he's better than he is but gives up more than many people think. If Marcus Peters didnt pick off as many balls as he has, nobody would have any idea who he is. He's literally known for intercepting passes and that is it. Not for shutting WRs down, not for tackling, not for being a good teammate, not for being a good citizen. Interceptions. That is it.

Think about it. Xavier Rhodes has 7 picks in the last 3 years. Peters has 17. Who would you rather want?? Rhodes by a country mile no questions asked. Rhodes actually shuts guys down. Literally the best WRs out there and shadows these guys. Something else Peters doesnt always do. Peters gets 2 INTs for every 1-2 deep balls he gives up. He gave up 7 TDs his rookie year. SEVEN but had 8 picks so everyone thought he was the man. Trae Waynes hasnt given up 7 TDs in his career. I'd rather have a guy not giving up TDs than a guy that gives up TDs and gets some picks.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Think about it. Xavier Rhodes has 7 picks in the last 3 years. Peters has 17. Who would you rather want?? Rhodes by a country mile no questions asked. Rhodes actually shuts guys down. Literally the best WRs out there and shadows these guys. Something else Peters doesnt always do. Peters gets 2 INTs for every 1-2 deep balls he gives up. He gave up 7 TDs his rookie year. SEVEN but had 8 picks so everyone thought he was the man. Trae Waynes hasnt given up 7 TDs in his career. I'd rather have a guy not giving up TDs than a guy that gives up TDs and gets some picks.
Stats that matter! Excellent post!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Have you listened to the guy talk to the media?? Swearing on front of them and acting like an a**. He's already had run-ins with fans after he got embarrassed by Washington this year. He's butted heads with the coaching staff. And is selfishly joining the kneeling during the anthem crap. Act like a damn pro. The anthem thing is what it is. But you're battling with fans?? Just like that giant dud Donald Penn recently did?? You're swearing in front of the media acting like an a**?? Grow up. He's a ticking time bomb. Just like Beckham is. It's a matter of time before they get suspended for something or go off the handle because they cant control their tempers and attitudes. I cant stand watching athletes like that. I enjoy the Teddy's, Danielle Hunters, Eric Kendricks, Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smiths of the world that shut their mouth and play the game and play it damn well. Not some hot head that thinks he's better than he is but gives up more than many people think. If Marcus Peters didnt pick off as many balls as he has, nobody would have any idea who he is. He's literally known for intercepting passes and that is it. Not for shutting WRs down, not for tackling, not for being a good teammate, not for being a good citizen. Interceptions. That is it.

Think about it. Xavier Rhodes has 7 picks in the last 3 years. Peters has 17. Who would you rather want?? Rhodes by a country mile no questions asked. Rhodes actually shuts guys down. Literally the best WRs out there and shadows these guys. Something else Peters doesnt always do. Peters gets 2 INTs for every 1-2 deep balls he gives up. He gave up 7 TDs his rookie year. SEVEN but had 8 picks so everyone thought he was the man. Trae Waynes hasnt given up 7 TDs in his career. I'd rather have a guy not giving up TDs than a guy that gives up TDs and gets some picks.
I'll disregard your dislike of the protest issue as I don't think it's a problem (not sure how it's selfish). I think him and Waynes is similarly prone to giving up the big play. Hard for Waynes to give up the big play when he's on the bench or a parttime player. While Peters gives up the big catch, Waynes gives up the big penalty. Those don't show up on stats but they are killers just the same. I don't think athletes have to be humble to be liked. I have no problem with someone that is brash or assertive but still willing to play hard for his team.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I don't think very highly of Waynes. I think he is a walking completion/penalty. Most of the breakups that he has are typically followed with the announcer saying he got away with one. He simply isn't "sticky". Despite he speed he is always a step slow to the ball.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Just would like to point out that the last penalty Trae Waynes has created to date was November 20, 2016. Not only that, he has only committed 7 penalties in his three years here. To say he's a walking penalty is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? I'll give you the completion comment, but when you're the 3rd most targeted CB, that tends to happen. Needless to say, I've loved Waynes from the first German/Suplex he's thrown.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Rhodes Closed wrote:Just would like to point out that the last penalty Trae Waynes has created to date was November 20, 2016. Not only that, he has only committed 7 penalties in his three years here. To say he's a walking penalty is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? I'll give you the completion comment, but when you're the 3rd most targeted CB, that tends to happen. Needless to say, I've loved Waynes from the first German/Suplex he's thrown.
I thought he had a PI earlier against NO?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: I'll disregard your dislike of the protest issue as I don't think it's a problem (not sure how it's selfish). I think him and Waynes is similarly prone to giving up the big play. Hard for Waynes to give up the big play when he's on the bench or a parttime player. While Peters gives up the big catch, Waynes gives up the big penalty. Those don't show up on stats but they are killers just the same. I don't think athletes have to be humble to be liked. I have no problem with someone that is brash or assertive but still willing to play hard for his team.
Well Waynes is a full time player now and hasnt given up many big plays. One vs. New Orleans and one vs. Pitt?? He's been pretty solid since. As for penalties, Xavier Rhodes get way more penalties than Trae Waynes does I can tell you that.

As for Peters "playing hard" for his team, Marcus Peters puts very little effort into tackling. He loves to cover but not tackle. That's not the definition of playing hard for you team. That's why he's butted heads with this coaching staff. Because there are times where Marcus Peters does what Marcus Peters wants to do. Thats a selfish player
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:I don't think very highly of Waynes. I think he is a walking completion/penalty. Most of the breakups that he has are typically followed with the announcer saying he got away with one. He simply isn't "sticky". Despite he speed he is always a step slow to the ball.
Again, that's not true. He isnt penalized very often at all. Rhodes is more than Waynes.

Also.....
Since Week 3, opposing teams have had little success working the ball in Waynes’ direction. They’ve registered a 68.3 passer rating. He’s also done a strong job tackling, giving up only 41 yards after catch.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Closed wrote:Just would like to point out that the last penalty Trae Waynes has created to date was November 20, 2016. Not only that, he has only committed 7 penalties in his three years here. To say he's a walking penalty is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? I'll give you the completion comment, but when you're the 3rd most targeted CB, that tends to happen. Needless to say, I've loved Waynes from the first German/Suplex he's thrown.
Agreed. He's gotten consistently better every year.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Anyone with eyes can see he gives up more catches than that. I also addressed that he doesn't get called for a lot of clear penalties. He is improving but he wasn't worth the 11th overall pick and is far from what I would call a good cb.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I thought he had a PI earlier against NO?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Had one against Pitts. Not sure what this guy is talking about.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

ftr the reference I used, which was NFL.com, listed his last one as last year. Also, not everybody can be a shutdown corner. Trae Waynes is not a shutdown corner, however, he has hardly burned us on plays. He tackles well and does his job, which is shadow the reciever and keep him from scoring.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote:Anyone with eyes can see he gives up more catches than that. I also addressed that he doesn't get called for a lot of clear penalties. He is improving but he wasn't worth the 11th overall pick and is far from what I would call a good cb.
So you're arguing facts and statistics with "anybody can see"?

Here we go again.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: So you're arguing facts and statistics with "anybody can see"?

Here we go again.
Stats without context are meaningless.
As I pointed out
1. PI doesn't affect QBR (i.e I give up a 51 and a 69 yard PI, that leads to two tds but no other catches, the QB had a 0.0 QBR against me and I'm amazing)
2. I've not seen any links on these stats. Easily pulled from a derriere.

So yes, stats are not the end all be all and without context. They can present ability that they shouldn't.