Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I am so glad, and proud, that the Vikings all stand for the Anthem. When the fame starts and they show the Anthem on TV, I stand as well, and have for years, going back to the Childress days. I will be so disappointed if any Viking ever sits out the anthem.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I am so glad, and proud, that the Vikings all stand for the Anthem. When the fame starts and they show the Anthem on TV, I stand as well, and have for years, going back to the Childress days. I will be so disappointed if any Viking ever sits out the anthem.

Agreed and I think a lot of it is, 1.) Mike Zimmer and 2.) The players on this team are all about the TEAM. Not themselves like Marcus Peters for example or a Marshawn Lynch that care more about what they look like in the media over anything. I cant stand players like that.

Odell Beckham is another one. He's too focused on what celebration he's going to do next and clearly has no problem costing his team yardage after a TD or after a guy like Rhodes shuts him down. There is no room for that anymore in the NFL. You want to be an idiot? Then you'll find yourself on the street or traded to a dying franchise. Kaepernick found himself on the street. Wouldnt be surprised if Beckham eventually runs himself right out of New York and takes big money from a desperate franchise like the Browns just because they dont have anyone worth a damn on their roster. Peters is the same way.

This is what a fan had to say to the Denver post regarding Peters:
“He’s a major pain in the” butt, Merfen says.

“I’d like to see him gone.”

Schuler shakes his head, unable to understand. Though many of the fans gathered here are friends and this season has mostly been a celebration, a debate has split them and it boils down to this: In 2017, which is more important to a fan base — reaching the Super Bowl or the preservation of some cultural ideal?

“He disrupts the way people think a football player should be,”

And regarding Beckham:
Can we finally just blow up this team? It's embarrassing to see all the talk on sports radio, ESPN, newspapers is about Beckham's epic meltdown. He embarrassed himself and the Giants organization.

It's obvious Coughlin has lost this team. Coughlin refused to bench Beckham because he was more interested in saving his job yesterday while Beckham almost broke another players jaw or gave him a concussion. All that talk about discipline and team went right out the window yesterday with Coughlin.
What happened to "shut your mouth and play the game?" Beckham should have let this nonsense go in one ear and out the other. Then he should have gone out and lit Carolina up. That's the way professional athletes are supposed to handle this situation. Beckham lost his composure and his team lost the game.
Fans even get sick of watching it. Like I said, there isnt much room for that anymore in the NFL. Like the guy said above, "shut your mouth and play the game". I say that all the time when I coach both lacrosse and football. And thats exactly what our players do and its exactly what the Vikings players do. And I am proud to say that I am a fan of this team.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Sitting or standing for an anthem shouldn't matter to anyone. If someone wants to kneel during an anthem, cool beans. If you want to stand, cool beans. Besides, I hate the SSB as a song and think America the Beautiful is much more fitting and elegant.

Also, I'll take someone who is average but knows when to shut up compared to someone great who can't keep it zipped. Case and point Richard Sherman.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Closed wrote:Sitting or standing for an anthem shouldn't matter to anyone. If someone wants to kneel during an anthem, cool beans. If you want to stand, cool beans. Besides, I hate the SSB as a song and think America the Beautiful is much more fitting and elegant.

Also, I'll take someone who is average but knows when to shut up compared to someone great who can't keep it zipped. Case and point Richard Sherman.
I dont want to start a whole thing up on the anthem but what I'm saying is, I just feel like a lot of these players are doing it for attention. And it seems to always be who?? The guys that cant keep their mouths shut. Beckham, Peters, Lynch, the Bennett brothers, DeSean Jackson, etc. You wouldnt ever see a guy like Teddy do something like that. Or Danielle Hunter. Or any of our guys to be honest. Its a very selfish act that screams "ME, ME, ME" while the Vikings players are all about the team and winning and could care less about the drama behind all that crap. The guys doing it are attention getters. Simple as that. They care more about the media and what they look like on TV than winning a SB
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.
OK, let's say you were right all along about Marcus Peters. Let's say Waynes gets waived next month and Peters makes the Hall of Fame.

What does that get you? Fame? Fortune? Message board cred? Scantily clad women begging to pleasure you?

No matter what you or I believe, Trae Waynes will continue to start at cornerback, and our opinions will forever be ignored by Vikings brass.

Besides, I've been "right" a hundred times on this board. I would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but the Vikings took Erasmus James instead. What difference does it make now?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Scantily clad women begging to pleasure you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.
Case better than Brady?? First of all, Peters isnt equivalent to a Tom Brady and Trae Waynes is much better than a Case Keenum type player. Peters is better but the gap isnt THAT significant.

Again, you say Peters covered right away his rookie year?? Look at your post that I addressed above. Peters was far from a shutdown corner. Was burned for almost 1000 yards and 7 TDs that season. But since he had a lot of picks that must make him good
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Besides, I've been "right" a hundred times on this board. I would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but the Vikings took Erasmus James instead. What difference does it make now?
So the last decade is your fault, eh?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DK Sweets wrote:So the last decade is your fault, eh?
Guilty. :spanking:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

[modhat]The anthem stuff belongs in the politics section. [/modhat]

Regarding hindsight, I think we all have those guys that we're upset never got picked. I thought we should have taken Martavis Bryant and Juju Smith. I also thought David Yankey was going to be good and probably 50 other busts. We tend to remember the hits and forget the misses.

At the end of the day, we have a great defense so more fortune than not.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.
Great way to sum it up!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:[modhat]The anthem stuff belongs in the politics section. [/modhat]

Regarding hindsight, I think we all have those guys that we're upset never got picked. I thought we should have taken Martavis Bryant and Juju Smith. I also thought David Yankey was going to be good and probably 50 other busts. We tend to remember the hits and forget the misses.

At the end of the day, we have a great defense so more fortune than not.
Agreed on Yankey. I was the same way. I also thought Bucky Hodges wouldve been good......then he was cut :|
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agreed on Yankey. I was the same way. I also thought Bucky Hodges wouldve been good......then he was cut :|
Didn't Yankey get cut his rookie year?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:Didn't Yankey get cut his rookie year?

I believe so. Either that or his second year.

I do remember the one player in recent years I wanted the Vikings to get more than anyone was DeAndre Hopkins. I legit put him in every mock I did. Sad thing is, if Floyd didnt fall to us at 23, we would've landed Rhodes and Hopkins that year. We were honed in on a CB and a WR. Floyd was suppose to go 3rd overall to Oakland. We had picks 23 and 25 that year. Hopkins went at 27. Would've been a no-brainer but instead we trade away a boat load for CP all because of that Floyd pick.

I dont fault Spielman for taking Floyd at all. Floyd was a very effective DT when healthy. Nobody could have predicted this would happen to him. However, I do fault Spielman for trading that much away for CP. If it was Hopkins sitting there at 31, then I would've been 100% for it and obviously it would have paid off but to trade that much for a guy that played 1 year of legit college football, was a dumb move. But basically, it all stemmed from drafting Floyd and was just a domino effect from there.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I believe so. Either that or his second year.

I do remember the one player in recent years I wanted the Vikings to get more than anyone was DeAndre Hopkins. I legit put him in every mock I did. Sad thing is, if Floyd didnt fall to us at 23, we would've landed Rhodes and Hopkins that year. We were honed in on a CB and a WR. Floyd was suppose to go 3rd overall to Oakland. We had picks 23 and 25 that year. Hopkins went at 27. Would've been a no-brainer but instead we trade away a boat load for CP all because of that Floyd pick.

I dont fault Spielman for taking Floyd at all. Floyd was a very effective DT when healthy. Nobody could have predicted this would happen to him. However, I do fault Spielman for trading that much away for CP. If it was Hopkins sitting there at 31, then I would've been 100% for it and obviously it would have paid off but to trade that much for a guy that played 1 year of legit college football, was a dumb move. But basically, it all stemmed from drafting Floyd and was just a domino effect from there.

I remember you banging the drum hard for Hopkins, and I think you're right that the unexpected drop of Floyd likely impeded us from getting him.
It's refreshing to read a critique of Spielman from you, too. It makes your overall positive opinion of him more convincing somehow. :thumbsup:

Lastly, I have read all the debates about our QB situation this past week, but I've stayed quiet because, well, for one I'm busy... but ultimately it seems to me that it will come down to things that WE AS FANS CANNOT SEE. Namely, how healthy and ready do Sam and Teddy look in practice? If they don't look super ready and oozing with confidence and a thirst to get on the field and lead this team to SB glory, then if I were coach I'd stick with Case.

Sam and Teddy are both coming back from serious injuries and the only people who know where they are at are the coaches. It's almost pointless for us to debate about it because there is just so much speculation involved.