Week 8 post game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 8 post game thoughts

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: THERE IT IS! The magic words. "In my opinion."

I lied. Not finished with this conversation. Just because you said there's no comparison, I'm going to compare.

Matt Asiata, first 8 games of 2016
Att 64
Yards 227
YPA 3.6
Rec 17
Yards 148
YPC 8.7
Total yards from scrimmage 375
Total TDs 2

Latavius Murray, first 8 games of 2017
Att 78
Yards 249
YPA 3.2
Rec 6
Yards 38
YPC 6.3
Total yards from scrimmage 287
Total TDs 1

Come to think of it, you're right. There IS no comparison!

The fact that you actually believe they are comparable is just laughable. You're talking about a guy that is no longer on an NFL roster, had no right being on any roster last year and has literally accomplished nothing in his career. Murray has consistently averaged 4.0 YPC his last two years and 5.2 his rookie year. BUT because he doesnt run well in 3 of his last 4 games with a new team coming off ankle surgery, he is now comparable to Matt Asiata. You literally have to be joking me. I am done with this conversation because there is clearly no getting through to you and I dont want to waste anymore of my day trying to explain to a fan how Murray and Asiata arent comparable. It's sad I actually have to do that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: OK, let me spell out my opinion for you and back it with a few facts.

The Vikings should not start Teddy Bridgewater unless Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are either unavailable or ineffective. That's my belief.

And they especially should not start him in the middle of a 6-2 season against a quality opponent on the road. I don't think it's appropriate to "see what you have with Teddy" in the middle of a potential playoff run. To sum it up, AT NO TIME should they start Teddy Bridgewater simply because he's healthy enough to start. That's what I'm saying.

My facts to support Case are as follows. He is winning football games. He is 4-2 as a starter, and if this were baseball, he'd have gotten the win in relief against Chicago. So for all intents and purposes, he's 5-2. He's taking care of the football, with 3 picks in 7 games (16% better than league average) and no fumbles. He's only been sacked 5 times, which is 30% better than league average. He's not lighting the world on fire with YPA or QBR, but 88.0 is right at league average. I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, but when the dust settled, the man had converted four third downs of 9 yards or longer, and the Vikings had scored 33 points on seven scoring drives. That is absolutely stellar, especially against a team that's pretty good defensively, and especially with our defense behind him.

So there you go. I just shared my opinion. Opinions are part of the board. I also offered a few facts to support my opinion -- Case is playing good football, he's keeping turnovers to a minimum, and he's winning. They're not the strongest facts I've ever seen, but they do make my opinion a little stronger than it would be if I hadn't supported it. And if my opinion turns out to be wrong, I'll own it. I've proven that -- to you, actually.

You obviously believe Teddy should start against Washington over Keenum if he's ready. So help me out here. Why? What are the facts to support your case that Teddy would out-play Case Keenum at this point, without having seen the field in 16 months, in an important road game against a quality opponent?
Lets put it this way, do you really believe Case Keenum will be able to lead a "playoff run"?? I dont. Especially with how inconsistent he's been lately. I believe Teddy can if he proves to be healthy. I really dont want to "waste" a season where we can be legit SB contenders and one where Aaron Rodgers is out just to watch us make the playoffs and lose the first game. What do you think a defense like Seattle will do to Keenum?? Detroit made him look out of his element! Defenses like that will expose his inconsistencies. I mean he struggled vs. the Browns DBs in the first half yesterday and I literally cant name a player in the Browns current secondary. He's a good fallback option, but if Teddy or Sam are healthy, they should get the start. Keenum is barely getting by as is right now and we havent even hit the meat of our schedule yet.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Give the kid the ball! Very cool though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Lets put it this way, do you really believe Case Keenum will be able to lead a "playoff run"?? I dont.
Irrelevant.

Why is Teddy Bridgewater (who has also never led a playoff run) better than Case Keenum? That's the real question here.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Especially with how inconsistent he's been lately. I believe Teddy can if he proves to be healthy.
Here we see the real problem with your argument.

I asked you to prove to me that Teddy Bridgewater could outplay Case Keenum, and you instead told me what "you believe."

The supporting facts I offered weren't that stupendous, but at least I gave you something. You counter with non-fact-based opinions like "inconsistent" and "I can't name a player in the Browns secondary," which are easily refuted by the numbers I gave you. Plus, I could opine that Teddy Bridgewater has been inconsistent during his career, and I'd be just as right as you are.

You believe that Teddy Bridgewater could lead a playoff run, but Keenum couldn't. So I'm asking ... what has Teddy Bridgewater ever ACTUALLY DONE in the NFL that proves your statement?

You obviously think Teddy's ceiling is higher. Again, prove it. Use a number. Any number. A metric of some kind. The opinion of somebody who's actually in the NFL. Anything. My guess is that you'll start with the 11-5 record and division championship in 2015 as a metric. Great. Then play fair and compare it to Keenum's 5-2 record this year (a better winning percentage, by the way). Want to use Teddy's stats in 2015? Perfect. They're almost identical to what Keenum's are right now, except for sack rate and INT rate, which Keenum wins by a mile.

And NONE of this accounts for the fact that we don't know whether Bridgewater's leg will actually stay attached if he takes a sack.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I really dont want to "waste" a season where we can be legit SB contenders and one where Aaron Rodgers is out just to watch us make the playoffs and lose the first game.
(Part 1)
Neither do I.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:What do you think a defense like Seattle will do to Keenum??
(Part 2)
Probably no worse than they did to Teddy Bridgewater in the 2015 playoffs, when Teddy threw for 146 yards, the Vikings netted less than 200 yards of total offense, and scored no touchdowns.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Detroit made him look out of his element! Defenses like that will expose his inconsistencies.
You mean like the God-awful 49ers did to Teddy in 2015? Or maybe the Seahawks that regular season? I can cherry-pick bad games, too.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:He's a good fallback option, but if Teddy or Sam are healthy, they should get the start.

Sam Bradford isn't an issue for me. If Sam Bradford is healthy, I'd take him 8 days a week over EITHER Bridgewater or Keenum. I've stated that a hundred times on this board. But that assumes a HEALTHY Sam Bradford. Because there is no way I want the Sam Bradford we saw against Chicago to ever take the field again for the Minnesota Vikings. Until he proves he's healthy, he can't even be considered.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Keenum is barely getting by as is right now and we havent even hit the meat of our schedule yet.
So the first 8 games don't count?

Again, what makes Teddy Bridgewater, especially as he is right now, a better option that Case Keenum? Use an actual metric, please. Not the eye test. Not your opinion. Show some proof.

Thank you.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

How long has Case been in the NFL? How about Teddy?
Who went to the Pro Bowl?
Who has had the better Oline since playing for the Vikings?

Its hard to imagine someone wanting Case playing at QB if Teddy is healthy and ready to play.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I will say that I have no idea how well Teddy's rehab has been going, and most all of us don't either,but I have seen some flaws in Keenums game. He has played pretty well , except he really has a problem throwing deep and eventually he will need to .
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

#Vikings DE Everson Griffen had 12 pressures on Sunday and now leads the @NFL by a wide margin with 45 per #NextGenStats
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Husker Vike wrote:I will say that I have no idea how well Teddy's rehab has been going, and most all of us don't either,but I have seen some flaws in Keenums game. He has played pretty well , except he really has a problem throwing deep and eventually he will need to .
Well, we have some idea of his rehab if he was cleared for practice. But performance wise, yeah, not hearing much out of practice except from day 1.
mavherzog
Rookie

Post by mavherzog »

It's an entertaining season to be sure. Only one team will win the SB any given year. If you can't enjoy an individual win...then you will be miserable year after year. While I would love to see the Vikings win a SB...I had quite an attitude adjustment in 1998. I missed two days of work...due to the disappointment. Now I am able to enjoy the wins and can deal with the losses.

Keeping everything in perspective is KEY!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds
Most impressive is rush D. It's been a big improvement.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds

Oh, and one more thing. Thielen is #2 in receiving yds. Last year was labeled his breakout year. What do you call this year?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Oh, and one more thing. Thielen is #2 in receiving yds. Last year was labeled his breakout year. What do you call this year?
"I guess this Minnesota boy good" year.

Keep under estimating him, opposing defensive coordinators.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Lol at everyone saying Teddy Bridgewater is a pro bowl quarterback. The year he was selected to the pro bowl, 5 QBs turned it down. He finished the season 22nd in passing yards and passer rating, and 26th in TD passes.