Week 8 post game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Week 8 post game thoughts

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I thought the same thing about Isadora.
One other thing that always haunted the Vikings was athletic tight ends. They have dine a great job in that category this season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Vikings PR
@VikingsPR
2h
After @KyleRudolph82 finished off an 84-yard drive today, the #Vikings have 8 TD drives of at least 80 yards, tied with KC for most in NFL.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agreed. I said earlier that it's going to be a hot-hand approach. Both backs are good and both can get the job done. But I can guarantee that Murray is nowhere near comparable to Matt Asiata for whoever said that. That's just asinine. Whoever gets hot is who's going to get the ball. Simple as that
I said that. And it's not asinine. Except for last week against Baltimore, Murray has been less useful to the Minnesota Vikings than Matt Asiata was. That is an opinion based in fact -- Asiata had practically the same YPC and was more useful in the passing game -- and I'll stand behind that opinion until Murray starts outperforming Asiata's numbers consistently.

And by the way, when Murray had a good game last week, I gave him his due. I also admitted to you personally that I needed to eat crow. So I don't appreciate the "asinine" comment. But today, Murray went back to being a big back who's extremely easy to tackle. He down at first contact every single time he touched the ball against the Browns. Go low on Murray, and he's down. He got the workload that you asked for -- 19 carries -- and he didn't come through. Just 39 yards.

I know you played against Murray and think highly of him. I respect that. Unfortunately, that isn't pertinent in 2017. Other than last week, Latavius Murray's performances with the Vikings have been extremely disappointing. It's inarguable.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

My thoughts:

• The Vikings made us sweat in the first half, but the second-half performance was excellent, both on offense and defense.

• Once the defense got by that first couple of plays, they played lights out -- as they should have against a wildly inconsistent rookie. We were especially effective in defending Daniel Njoku, the guy Pro Football Focus said would be able to have a big game against us. Just two catches for 19 yards. Good job by our linebackers and safeties, especially Kendricks and Smith.

• I was getting pretty ticked at Keenum in the first half, with a bunch more passes that were just off the mark enough to cause problems. But I thought he was excellent in the second half, leading us on some really beautiful drives by extending plays and making completions after escaping the rush or stepping up in the pocket. He continues to miss on deep throws, which is concerning. But he's winning, and it's hard to argue that. EDIT: I just read that Keenum converted four first downs on 3rd-and-9 or longer. Wow!

• The offensive line ... what else can you say? They continue to keep Case Keenum upright. One sack today, and Case almost got back to the line of scrimmage to avoid the sack. We didn't have a great game on the ground, but raise your hand if you would have taken 88 yards last year? And this was against a tough run defense.

• Special teams were a letdown. A missed XP (again!), pretty poor punting, a long kickoff return allowed. The good thing is that it's pretty rare that our special teams are this bad. Hopefully it was just a bad day and not something that other teams can scheme for based on tape of this game.

• Latavius Murray -- awful this game. One halfway decent run the entire game out of 19 carries. I did not see him break a single tackle. I like the guy. He's pretty humble and seems like a really good dude. But we need him to play more consistently.

• I said before the game that I'd take any win, no matter the margin. The truth is, I'm glad we doubled them up. That's what good teams do to bad teams. We're 6-2 at the bye. Let's hope the Vikes heal up and come back strong after the bye.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

It was also good to see Morgan catch a few balls today
he is a guy I have been waiting for. The more weapons
the better. I am hoping to see Treadwell breakout with
a huge game soon.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Kapp, I don't remember the sack. When was it?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Kapp, I don't remember the sack. When was it?

Let me think ... second quarter? I think that's right.

He stepped up in the pocket, had no one open and essentially escaped the rush but got brought down one yard behind the line of scrimmage.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The second half of this quote is part of why I love Zimmer.

https://twitter.com/SamNewton31/status/ ... 7195058176
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:The second half of this quote is part of why I love Zimmer.

https://twitter.com/SamNewton31/status/ ... 7195058176
That is seriously awesome.

To those who thought Mike Zimmer was losing the locker room last year ... perhaps ye spake too soon.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I said that. And it's not asinine. Except for last week against Baltimore, Murray has been less useful to the Minnesota Vikings than Matt Asiata was. That is an opinion based in fact -- Asiata had practically the same YPC and was more useful in the passing game -- and I'll stand behind that opinion until Murray starts outperforming Asiata's numbers consistently.

And by the way, when Murray had a good game last week, I gave him his due. I also admitted to you personally that I needed to eat crow. So I don't appreciate the "asinine" comment. But today, Murray went back to being a big back who's extremely easy to tackle. He down at first contact every single time he touched the ball against the Browns. Go low on Murray, and he's down. He got the workload that you asked for -- 19 carries -- and he didn't come through. Just 39 yards.

I know you played against Murray and think highly of him. I respect that. Unfortunately, that isn't pertinent in 2017. Other than last week, Latavius Murray's performances with the Vikings have been extremely disappointing. It's inarguable.
It is arguable because you comparing him to a guy that's not even on an NFL team and was a converted fullback. Lesean McCoy, Jay Ajayi and Lamar Miller are all averaging under 4.0 YPC. 3.8, 3.4 and 3.6 in that order. I guess those teams must be making a mistake by leaving Matt Asiata on the streets. To say he isn't performing well is one thing but comparing him to Matt Asiata is a joke. Sorry but it is. It has nothing to do with me playing against him. It's just it's not hard to figure out that Latavius Murray is a better RB than Matt Asiata. Murray has actually started in this league, produced and went to a pro bowl. Asiata has only started by default and hardly ever produced. I honestly can't even believe I'm having this argument to be honest
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I just watched the highlights but Harris missed a key tackle on the Crowell TD run. Sendejo is more key to the defense that some may think. That said, it's good to see second string guys stepping up.

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks. I think they activate Teddy but run with Case for a bit longer. At least until a loss or two.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Do McKinnon and Murray have different running styles? Do those different running styles work more effectively against one particular type of defense? Or is it really just a crap shoot which player does better?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:I just watched the highlights but Harris missed a key tackle on the Crowell TD run. Sendejo is more key to the defense that some may think. That said, it's good to see second string guys stepping up.

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks. I think they activate Teddy but run with Case for a bit longer. At least until a loss or two.
I have been wondering if they stick with Case too, if either Sam or Teddy are ready to play. I think its a bad idea. Both Teddy and Sam will have rust, and will need to get in the swing of things ASAP. We have a shot at winning the division. And if any QB doesnt look ready, then we can switch back to Case. Its not a good scenario, but it may have to happen. When the first and second QBs are out at the same time, this is what happens. Plus, Rick is going to have to see Sam play again this year, to determine if hes worth the money hes probably going to want next year. What a mess :(
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I have been wondering if they stick with Case too, if either Sam or Teddy are ready to play. I think its a bad idea. Both Teddy and Sam will have rust, and will need to get in the swing of things ASAP. We have a shot at winning the division. And if any QB doesnt look ready, then we can switch back to Case. Its not a good scenario, but it may have to happen. When the first and second QBs are out at the same time, this is what happens. Plus, Rick is going to have to see Sam play again this year, to determine if hes worth the money hes probably going to want next year. What a mess :(
I watched Spurgon Wynn play! Having three capable QB's on the roster now is far superior to that. I don't know that anyone is going to be giving Sam or Teddy the big bucks as a free agent. That would be the riskiest of plays, as neither has shown they can stay healthy and neither has put up huge stats. I like them both, but I'm wearing purple goggles. I think we'll go with the healthiest of those two, maybe give Case a raise and another year on his contract, and roll the dice.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

720pete wrote:Do McKinnon and Murray have different running styles? Do those different running styles work more effectively against one particular type of defense? Or is it really just a crap shoot which player does better?
They are definitely different runners. Murray is more of a grinder/north-south guy where McKinnon is more of the shifty type. Its all about getting one of them in a rhythm. Murray said in his presser after Baltimore that it was nice to finally get into a rhythm. I'm sure its the same with McKinnon. Thats why RBBC can be tough at times vs just a single workhorse like Cook
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri