Vikings’ opponents are attacking Trae Waynes – how is he...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings’ opponents are attacking Trae Waynes – how is he...

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Vikings’ opponents are attacking Trae Waynes – how is he holding up?
Football Outsiders’ tracking data reveals that Waynes is the third most targeted cornerback in the NFL with 49 throws in his direction.
Since Week 3, opposing teams have had little success working the ball in Waynes’ direction. They’ve registered a 68.3 passer rating. He’s also done a strong job tackling, giving up only 41 yards after catch.
We will have a better sense of where Waynes’ transition to a full-timer stands after the bye week. This week, the Vikings face the NFL’s worst quarterback DeShone Kizer, who has just three touchdowns and 11 interceptions. But after the bye, they match up with Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton in succession.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings’ opponents are attacking Trae Waynes – how is he

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I've said this all along. Fans continue to complain about Waynes because I feel like many are holding him up to Rhodes standards. We know he isnt as good as Rhodes. But at the same time as an opposing coach, you have to target Rhodes or Waynes. Obviously you go after Waynes if anyone. And like I said all along, he's held up pretty nicely. I mean the guy is targeted 3rd most of any CB in the league. Rhodes would be giving up a lot more than he is now if he was targeted that much too. I think Trae is a solid CB. He's not Rhodes. But he's definitely a solid #2 to have
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Waynes' is only in his second year correct? I believe we will see him truly come into his own next year. Thus far though he is a competent corner and can stop the pass when need be.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rhodes Closed wrote:Waynes' is only in his second year correct? I believe we will see him truly come into his own next year. Thus far though he is a competent corner and can stop the pass when need be.
He was drafted in 2015.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Thanks.

Like I said though, he's a fairly competent CB, he'd be a starter almost anywhere in my opinion.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I've said this all along. Fans continue to complain about Waynes because I feel like many are holding him up to Rhodes standards. We know he isnt as good as Rhodes. But at the same time as an opposing coach, you have to target Rhodes or Waynes. Obviously you go after Waynes if anyone. And like I said all along, he's held up pretty nicely. I mean the guy is targeted 3rd most of any CB in the league. Rhodes would be giving up a lot more than he is now if he was targeted that much too. I think Trae is a solid CB. He's not Rhodes. But he's definitely a solid #2 to have
Waynes is getting better. He could rate out a #1 cb someday. He does give up some plays that make you scratch your head.
Being targeted 3rd most is an equal and opposite reaction to Rhodes. We are fortunate to have both.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's been interesting for me to have the chance to go up to a game a couple times in US Bank Stadium. We're very fortunate ... the seats we get are in the end zone near the big doors, and at just the right height to be pretty much the same view as the all-22.

I've made it a point to spend a little time watching Trae Waynes. He's got a lot of things going for him. He's excellent at shadowing his man, changing directions on a dime, with really flexible hips. The problems I've seen are that he sometimes isn't aware that the ball is on the way. But for the most part, he's able to stay very close to his man when he's in man coverage.

One play was interesting against Baltimore. The Vikings were in Cover 2, and Baltimore completed one of its few reasonably long completions to Waynes' side. He was visibly upset at Harrison Smith, of all people, because apparently Harry was late to his zone. Waynes let the receiver go past his zone, obviously thinking he had help over the top. The fact that he stood up to a Pro Bowler tells me that he's gaining confidence. And from where I sat, Waynes had every right to be upset.

As others have said, he's a good tackler ... better than his somewhat slender build would suggest.

I like him. He plays hard, and he hangs in there despite getting the majority of the targets. And you know, the more he's targeted, the better he's going to get.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Waynes is great in run defense. Antoine Winfield great. He looks like he is so close to becoming a complete player. I hope he gets it all figured out someday. I really like him.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:It's been interesting for me to have the chance to go up to a game a couple times in US Bank Stadium. We're very fortunate ... the seats we get are in the end zone near the big doors, and at just the right height to be pretty much the same view as the all-22.

I've made it a point to spend a little time watching Trae Waynes. He's got a lot of things going for him. He's excellent at shadowing his man, changing directions on a dime, with really flexible hips. The problems I've seen are that he sometimes isn't aware that the ball is on the way. But for the most part, he's able to stay very close to his man when he's in man coverage.

One play was interesting against Baltimore. The Vikings were in Cover 2, and Baltimore completed one of its few reasonably long completions to Waynes' side. He was visibly upset at Harrison Smith, of all people, because apparently Harry was late to his zone. Waynes let the receiver go past his zone, obviously thinking he had help over the top. The fact that he stood up to a Pro Bowler tells me that he's gaining confidence. And from where I sat, Waynes had every right to be upset.

As others have said, he's a good tackler ... better than his somewhat slender build would suggest.

I like him. He plays hard, and he hangs in there despite getting the majority of the targets. And you know, the more he's targeted, the better he's going to get.
Good to have a live report. I think it reflects what I am seeing on TV. He seems to defend the player and not the ball. That's my only gripe about his play. He sometimes looks like he's about to get burned because by not looking back for the ball he looks a bit lost on some plays (again, on TV). There's no denying his speed, though, and he uses it well to blanket WRs. Compared to where our secondary was when we had Leslie Frazier (former DB himself) we have improved by leaps and bounds.

By the way, I completely agree with your observations on Zimmer that you posted elsewhere. My esteem for him is likely clear from my username pic (or is that an avatar? showing my age / lack of tech savvy), but he really was a solid hire and I love what he brings to the organization.