Week 6 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 6 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Why?

Because he's a "volume guy"? As with all professional sports, if you produce, you play. Murray isn't. It's remarkably simple, at least to me. Exactly what point am I missing here?

And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said Jerick McKinnon should carry the ball 25 times a game. Heck, I don't want McKinnon or ANY of the current Vikings backs carrying the ball 25 times. I simply said McKinnon is outplaying Murray, which he is, and it's not close.
I'm just saying that with Murray being a volume back, you arent going to see a whole lot out of him just like AP in New Orleans when he is getting limited carries a game. Look at AP vs. Denver 2 years ago. He was shut down the entire game then all of the sudden breaks a huge one. Murray is very similar in that regard. Murray was a workhorse for 1 year in Oakland and went for over 1,000 yards. When you arent giving him volume carries, you'll see less production. He's a guy that makes up his yardage on the big runs similar to AP. I'm not saying he should be getting all the work or anything. I'm just saying i think he needs more carries than he is getting. I mean last week wasnt a good week for him but at the same time, there were 5 running plays he has where he lost almost 10 yards because guys were literally already in the backfield the second he got the handoff. Thats not on Murray thats on the OL.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'm just saying that with Murray being a volume back, you arent going to see a whole lot out of him just like AP in New Orleans when he is getting limited carries a game. Look at AP vs. Denver 2 years ago. He was shut down the entire game then all of the sudden breaks a huge one. Murray is very similar in that regard. Murray was a workhorse for 1 year in Oakland and went for over 1,000 yards. When you arent giving him volume carries, you'll see less production. He's a guy that makes up his yardage on the big runs similar to AP. I'm not saying he should be getting all the work or anything. I'm just saying i think he needs more carries than he is getting. I mean last week wasnt a good week for him but at the same time, there were 5 running plays he has where he lost almost 10 yards because guys were literally already in the backfield the second he got the handoff. Thats not on Murray thats on the OL.
Look, you and I are on the same side of most conversations. So I'm not going to argue too vehemently here.

Do I think Murray is a serviceable running back? Sure. But right now, he's not running well. Yes, he got hit in the backfield, but he also had a couple of plays where he had holes and simply had to make one man miss. He never did. As a result, they were relatively decent 4-5 yard gains, but make one man miss and they're chunk plays. Some of it may be the ankle. Some of it may, as you say, be lack of work. But a lot of it is him. When we played them out in Oakland in 2015, he was a tough man to bring down. That's not the case right now. He's going down at first touch.

It's a tough gig. You have to produce to get carries, but you can't produce if you don't get carries. Right now, he's not impressing anybody, and there's a guy named Jerick McKinnon who is playing really good football. So Jet is getting more reps.

Right now, I just don't see Latavius Murray as a difference-maker, more carries or not. He's not running well. I hope that will change.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

McKinnon hits the holes faster, he also follows his blocks. I havent seen Murray do either. And Murray goes down easier then Mck, which shouldn't be. Hes a bigger back.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

God damn...I kind of love this. I understand that's not very "sportsmanlike" but...it's Rodgers.
Aaron Rodgers: Vikings’ Anthony Barr gave me the finger after breaking my collarbone
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/27/aa ... njury/amp/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:God damn...I kind of love this. I understand that's not very "sportsmanlike" but...it's Rodgers.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/27/aa ... njury/amp/

Exactly, it's Rodgers. Meaning, he likely started whining to Barr that he hit him too hard, then Barr flipped him the bird, and THEN Aaron really got his panties twisted and ramped up his complaints.

I like Barr 2.0; a nastier, grittier version. He NEEDED to get a mean streak. I'm not saying I want him to lack sportsmanship, but I definitely want him to be tough as nails.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2118 ... finger-hit
"I rolled out to my right, I threw the ball, and I got tackled and kind of slammed on the ground. But I'm good now," Rodgers said on the show. "Thirteen screws later and here I am."

Later, he admitted to ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde that he may have exaggerated about having 13 screws implanted during the surgery.
Interesting. How trustworthy is ANY of his account, if he exaggerated about the number of screws?

He's such a good player, I wish he whined less.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You know what's interesting? If you look at the very end of that GIF, maybe the last second, Matthews looks around for a flag.

He knew exactly what he was doing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: You know what's interesting? If you look at the very end of that GIF, maybe the last second, Matthews looks around for a flag.

He knew exactly what he was doing.
I noticed that too.

Say what you want about Barr's hit - at least the guy he hit was standing up.