2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Injury report:

Reiff still not practicing?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

For either QB to get any sort of decent contract they need to get healthy and play for extended time and at a high level. Right now, a team would be nuts to sign either to a big contract and tie up all that cap space in a injured may never play again guy.

Sam seems destined to be a backup if he can get somewhat healthy. Healthy enough to be a fill in guy for a few weeks here or there. Teddy I'm not sure, I hope he can get back close to his previous physical health because he has the most upside at this point. Sam is old and broken down with his- arthritis? Two ACL's isn't exactly a franchise QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

FireSpieldope wrote:For either QB to get any sort of decent contract they need to get healthy and play for extended time and at a high level. Right now, a team would be nuts to sign either to a big contract and tie up all that cap space in a injured may never play again guy.

Sam seems destined to be a backup if he can get somewhat healthy. Healthy enough to be a fill in guy for a few weeks here or there. Teddy I'm not sure, I hope he can get back close to his previous physical health because he has the most upside at this point. Sam is old and broken down with his- arthritis? Two ACL's isn't exactly a franchise QB.
Bradford can easily start for a lot of teams out there if healthy. He's not a "fill in guy". Case Keenum is a "fill in guy" and Bradford is well above Keenum when it comes to skill level. Again your outlook on Bradford is so far skewed its not even funny
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

http://www.startribune.com/keenum-limit ... 453324343/
Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer remained coy about Sunday's quarterback situation, not naming Case Keenum the starter.

Keenum was listed as "limited" in practice Wednesday because of a chest issue. Keenum is 3-2 as a starter and has led the Vikings to four victories, including the second half in Chicago, while Bradford continues to be missing from practices with lingering issues in his left knee.

"I don't know," Zimmer said of his starting quarterback. "We'll see."

Teddy Bridgewater practiced Wednesday and is expected to make the trip to London. When asked about Bridgewater's status, Zimmer said, "I think I know what I'm doing, but it's the medical clearance at the end of the day."
The last sentence (emphasis mine) intrigues me.
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Bradford can easily start for a lot of teams out there if healthy. He's not a "fill in guy". Case Keenum is a "fill in guy" and Bradford is well above Keenum when it comes to skill level. Again your outlook on Bradford is so far skewed its not even funny
He's a fill in guy because nobody in there right mind would expect him especially at this point to stay healthy on that messed up knee. Skill wise he might be marginal starter material (I rank him about 22-24 range) but with his injury concerns and arthritis, just forget it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Diggs, Keenum and Reiff all practiced in full and are likely to play Sunday.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

:rock:
dead_poet wrote:Diggs, Keenum and Reiff all practiced in full and are likely to play Sunday.
Good news!
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

dead_poet wrote: Because look around the league at quarterback play. Assuming Sam's injury isn't chronic, there's a 100% chance he gets paid, with guaranteed money. Sam has "proven" himself, especially with last year under his belt. Teams need to see Teddy healthy and dealing before they'd shell out any $$ for him given how long he's been away and the severity of his knee injury. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if some team gave Teddy a short-term deal with some guaranteed money as a "roll the dice" chance as part of a QB competition. But you're right, they need to show up on the field again.
We are on the same page as far as Teddy goes; I'd be fine with a short term type of prove it deal with him some guaranteed money....especially if he comes back this season and looks good. Sam on the other hand I'd let him walk before I gave him Cousin's type of guaranteed money (23 million range) . Its just too risky IMO, knowing what we know regarding his knee. I realize Sam would be a hot commodity around the league and demand some big guaranteed money, if healthy. I am sure he will get some interest from teams around the league even after this injury (if he comes back) I just hope it isn't in MN. It would be too desperate, there will be better stop gap options out there for that kind of money. I don't see him as a franchise guy, at least not here, not after the latest injury. He has had some tough breaks in his career. I just see this as another one of those tough breaks for Sam. I think its time for Sam to look into life after football.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Thaumaturgist wrote::rock: Good news!
And Easton.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

FireSpieldope wrote: He's a fill in guy because nobody in there right mind would expect him especially at this point to stay healthy on that messed up knee. Skill wise he might be marginal starter material (I rank him about 22-24 range) but with his injury concerns and arthritis, just forget it.
I appreciate you giving me your "expert" rankings for the 13th time. Cant wait to see your Big Board in the offseason
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote: Because look around the league at quarterback play. Assuming Sam's injury isn't chronic, there's a 100% chance he gets paid, with guaranteed money. Sam has "proven" himself, especially with last year under his belt. Teams need to see Teddy healthy and dealing before they'd shell out any $$ for him given how long he's been away and the severity of his knee injury. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if some team gave Teddy a short-term deal with some guaranteed money as a "roll the dice" chance as part of a QB competition. But you're right, they need to show up on the field again.
Good post DP. I agree. Bradford will definitely get paid if this injury proves not to be too serious. Teddy on the other hand has been out of the game over a year and a half and the severity of Teddy's injury alone was probably equivalent to Bradford have two ACL surgeries. No matter who you look at, both are very delicate knees at this point.

Since Bradfords injuries, he has came back and performed at a fairly high level. Especially the last few years.

Teddy on the other hand, hasnt been able to show anything YET. If he comes back and can perform at a high level that would be great.

Bradford will get guaranteed money before Teddy will if they both come back healthy. Nobody is going to know anything until we see Teddy in live action again.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Myles Garrett (concussion) will not travel with the team to London and will not play in Sunday’s game against the Vikings.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not sure how I feel about Diggs playing this week. Obviously it's great when he's in the lineup but if he sits, he'll effectively have had a month to recuperate. I'd hate for him to have this bother him the whole year because he rushed back.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:Not sure how I feel about Diggs playing this week. Obviously it's great when he's in the lineup but if he sits, he'll effectively have had a month to recuperate. I'd hate for him to have this bother him the whole year because he rushed back.
I agree. Groin injuries are like hamstring problems. They have to completely heal or they will come back to bite ya.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bradford, Weatherly, Sirles not practicing. Expect Keenum to start vs. Cleveland.