Week 7 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Week 7 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Isadora looked really good. He had a few really good blocks, and a big one on Murray's first long run.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
His pass protection was really shaky but that's probably to be expected. Liked some of what he did in the run game. Solid first action all things considered.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Murray looked good today, that was nice to see. Had a few really nice runs. Hopefully it builds his confidence more as the season goes on.

Case looked like Case. No TDs. I hate settling for FGs. We really wearn't that much better then the Ravens even though our D is VERY solid.

AT looked great. Treadwell may want to play after all. But then Wright has a big game. Id rather have the problem of too many good receivers then too little.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Was happy to be in the stadium today. What a glorious day for football. I sat right in front of the 90-foot doors, 40th row in the end zone. So wild to be inside a building and have to wear a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes. A tiny bit cool ... just perfect.

My observations.

The defense is FAST. There is no other way to put it. Everson Griffen may be the defensive MVP of the league right now. Running plays ... he's right there. Pass rush ... constantly disruptive, and got two more sacks.

Anthony Barr was an animal today. Gosh that guy can run to the football. Harry the Hitman was great, as was Andrew Sendejo. The penalty on him that knocked Wallace out of the game was an absolute B.S. call. Wallace was running, not defenseless, and Sendejo lit him up. Brandon Carr held Treadwell on that early interception.

Linval Joseph was another one I noticed today. Dude is a monster. The entire D-line was really good.

Trae Waynes is THIS close to being really good. I just don't understand why he doesn't get his head around. He's consistently covering his guy tightly, but just doesn't get his head around. It's got to drive the coaches crazy.

In all fairness, Baltimore has nothing on offense. I mean, nothing. No Jeremy Maclin, Wallace out early. Joe Flacco may be the least mobile QB in the entire league. There were three women sitting next to us who were from Baltimore. They actually flew to London and watched them out there, then flew out to Minneapolis. I didn't have the heart to ask them why they would fly all over the world to follow THAT team.

Really nice game for Latavius Murray. I was impressed today with his burst, and he actually moved the pile. The line was good today, especially given the injuries and the shuffling.

After watching Case Keenum live, it's my belief that we cannot win in the playoffs with him at QB. It was pretty obvious. He does not have a strong arm ... the lack of velocity was very evident ... but it's his lack of accuracy that is most troubling. He made some REALLY off-the-mark throws, and several that he completed where his receivers bailed him out. You can really see it from the end zone. We essentially had an all-22 view.

Jarius Wright was a really nice surprise today. Had two absolutely amazing catches. And a nice game out of Laquon Treadwell. Good to see him getting a lot of snaps and getting open. Adam Thielen is so dependable. And a nice game from Kyle Rudolph, who would have had better stats if Keenum had been more accurate.

Special teams were phenomenal today. Great job by the coverage teams, Marcus Sherels, Ryan Quigley and Kai Forbath. I think Forbath might have been the leading candidate for NFC Special Teams Player of the Week if he hadn't missed that stupid extra point. I don't get it. You hit 6-for-6 field goals, two of them from beyond 50, and you miss another extra point.

In all, a good win against a not-very-good team. Next week we get a truly bad team as a "road" game, and then the bye. Hoping we can get healthy by Week 10 so that we can be competitive for a tough second half.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We really wearn't that much better then the Ravens even though our D is VERY solid.
Gotta disagree.

That game was nowhere near as close as the score. We were WAY better than Baltimore and should have blown them out. The Ravens have nothing on offense. They were sitting at about 130 total yards until garbage time. They looked so lackluster, and it's a indictment of our offense, mainly Keenum, that we didn't blow them out. I believe we'd have won by 3 TDs if Keenum would have had an average game. I like Keenum, but he wasn't good today.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Case seems to do a pretty good job of reading the defense at the line.

We beat a team without its primary offensive starters.

I don't know if we would have won if Joe Flacco had Jeremy Maclin and Mike Wallace.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I think this game should put to bed those talking about starting Case for the season. The moment Teddy or Sam are healthy enough to play at a high level, he needs to head to the bench. If we were playing a high powered team, we would have lost this game. He was bad in the first half.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Gotta disagree.

That game was nowhere near as close as the score. We were WAY better than Baltimore and should have blown them out. The Ravens have nothing on offense. They were sitting at about 130 total yards until garbage time. They looked so lackluster, and it's a indictment of our offense, mainly Keenum, that we didn't blow them out. I believe we'd have won by 3 TDs if Keenum would have had an average game. I like Keenum, but he wasn't good today.
I agree on Case. That was my point kind of. We settled for FG or had drives killed because he had a bad day. But the fact the Ravens had 5 (?) FGs shows they moved the ball too. Flacco didnt look that good, cant believe he makes the money he does.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't know of anyone who said they should roll with Case. But he had a very bad game.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree on Case. That was my point kind of. We settled for FG or had drives killed because he had a bad day. But the fact the Ravens had 5 (?) FGs shows they moved the ball too. Flacco didnt look that good, cant believe he makes the money he does.
Ravens had 3 FGs, not 5. And they did not move the ball. Just 208 total yards, 3.2 yards per play, and 6-of-16 on third down. We dominated until garbage time.

First FG came after a really weird penalty call on Sendejo -- a play where Wallace fumbled and we recovered, and it took the refs about halfway through the TV timeout to announce the penalty. I don't know how it looked on TV or what the announcers said, but being there live, it sure looked like a bad call. Then it seemed like the refs walked off about 40 yards, and Baltimore made one first down before Tucker had to hit from 48. Their second FG was from 57 after the Ravens made just two first downs. Their third FG came after the predictable Viking letdown ... we finally get a touchdown, and the defense plays like they were 6 TDs ahead. That's the one drive where I thought the Vikings defense didn't play well.

Baltimore had 140 yards total offense before their final drive, which was total garbage time. Flacco actually looked terrible, and if the majority of Baltimore fans have the same attitude as the 5 who sat next to us, they're fed up with him. Guy does not deal with pressure very well. If you move him off his spot, he really looks bad.

Our offense will have to play better against teams that can move the ball like Washington and L.A. But our defense is truly good.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

if you watch the replay Sendejo was trying to lead with his shoulder and the helmet-to-helmet hit just happened it wasn't intentional from what I can tell.
Viking fan since '65
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

The Los Angeles Rams and Minnesota Vikings are on top of their divisions. It's like the late 60s, early 70s all over again. Groovy!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

me4get wrote:if you watch the replay Sendejo was trying to lead with his shoulder and the helmet-to-helmet hit just happened it wasn't intentional from what I can tell.
What gets me about that play was that it sure looked like Wallace was a runner at that point and not defenseless. But it happened really fast, and they only showed one replay there at the stadium.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: What gets me about that play was that it sure looked like Wallace was a runner at that point and not defenseless. But it happened really fast, and they only showed one replay there at the stadium.
He was a runner. Here is the video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3X0ux ... p=drivesdk
Viking fan since '65
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:I think this game should put to bed those talking about starting Case for the season. The moment Teddy or Sam is healthy enough to play at a high level, he needs to head to the bench. If we were playing a high powered team, we have lost this game. He was bad in the first half.
Agreed. A very good backup to have but Teddy or Sam need to get out there by seasons end
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Today really helped the vikings

GREEN Bay, Atlanta, Panthers all lost

We keep winning and who knows?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!