Week 6 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Week 6 reaction thread

Post by IrishViking »

John_Viveiros wrote: I'm with you. But then again, I was feeling that way after the first quarter. The game went from "gosh, we have a small chance even without all our best skill players - I hope we win", to "well, this is easy now, unless we really blow it". It went from being a statement game to being just another game we won against an inferior team.

Another reaction is that the Pack is in real trouble. I can see them going 3-7 without Rogers. Just our luck - they'll get a high first round pick and draft another HOF QB, like it's their birthright.

You are gonna have a rough time when he retires in like, 5 years then. Not having Rodgers is one of two realities the packers will Always exist in. A win is a win.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: Nah. Hundley is pretty good. Not Rodgers level but not nearly inept as some of the other starters and backups out there. Not going to lie, though, my nightmare of the Packers winning the Super Bowl in Minnesota has gotten tougher for them (thank God). There'd be really no way to recover from that. I don't think that Packers finish below .500. if they do, it won't be by much.
I don't know DP, they Pack is now going to need their defense to contribute for more than 30 minutes and that defense greatly benefits from the pressure Rogers is able to create on the scoreboard. I don't think they'll lose out, but they are going to face a tough road. They only have one legitimate WR who can bail Hunley out and their RB corps is going to start seeing 8 man fronts which they never see when AROG is in there. It's going to be a rough road for them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Hundley is a good QB. He looked better against our defense than Keenum did against Pittsburghs defense, and their defense is really similar to ours. I will never count the Packers out unless Mike McCarthy is forced into QB duty.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote: I don't know DP, they Pack is now going to need their defense to contribute for more than 30 minutes and that defense greatly benefits from the pressure Rogers is able to create on the scoreboard. I don't think they'll lose out, but they are going to face a tough road. They only have one legitimate WR who can bail Hunley out and their RB corps is going to start seeing 8 man fronts which they never see when AROG is in there. It's going to be a rough road for them.
Adams and Nelson are a good duo. Adams has really improved. They also may have found a good new weapon in Jones. I don't disagree their road has gotten tougher without their first &string QB (gee I wonder what that's like). But they still have some talent if they can get healthy. 8-8 is realistic. Possibly a WC.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

dead_poet wrote:I don't disagree their road has gotten tougher without their first &string QB (gee I wonder what that's like).
Heck, after the last couple of years, I didn't even know that having a first string qb was an option.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Heck, after the last couple of years, I didn't even know that having a first string qb was an option.
Lol

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I'm not sure where you get that Hundley is a good NFL QB. His preseason stats were just okay - this year his rating was 88.8. Kyle Sloter had a rating just over 125, and no one is thinking he should be taking a team to the playoffs this year.

As bad as Keenum may have played against Pittsburgh, he actually did lead scoring drives. Hundley couldn't do anything unless the Packers were starting in the red zone. And he threw three interceptions. And he takes a lot of sacks - 11 in preseason this year alone in 76 passing attempts (the ones where he didn't get sacked) and 4 sacks in 34 attempts in this game.

And yes, it's a small sample, but his overall career QB rating is 28.0!

In prior years, the Packers had a strong enough roster to give a guy like Hundley some support, to make his job easier. IMO that's not the case now, and I think the complete reliance on Hundley will end in catastrophe. They have OL problems and no consistent running game, and guys like Randall Cobb have disappeared and Nelson is somewhat injured I hear. And their defense is in trouble, especially in their defensive backfield.

I will agree that if my take is wrong, then Hundley will be proven to be a good QB, and McCarthy will earn the accolades as a top coach, because up to now, it has all been Aaron Rodgers (3-5-1 without an HOF QB at the helm).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

John_Viveiros wrote:I'm not sure where you get that Hundley is a good NFL QB. His preseason stats were just okay - this year his rating was 88.8. Kyle Sloter had a rating just over 125, and no one is thinking he should be taking a team to the playoffs this year.

As bad as Keenum may have played against Pittsburgh, he actually did lead scoring drives. Hundley couldn't do anything unless the Packers were starting in the red zone. And he threw three interceptions. And he takes a lot of sacks - 11 in preseason this year alone in 76 passing attempts (the ones where he didn't get sacked) and 4 sacks in 34 attempts in this game.

And yes, it's a small sample, but his overall career QB rating is 28.0!

In prior years, the Packers had a strong enough roster to give a guy like Hundley some support, to make his job easier. IMO that's not the case now, and I think the complete reliance on Hundley will end in catastrophe. They have OL problems and no consistent running game, and guys like Randall Cobb have disappeared and Nelson is somewhat injured I hear. And their defense is in trouble, especially in their defensive backfield.

I will agree that if my take is wrong, then Hundley will be proven to be a good QB, and McCarthy will earn the accolades as a top coach, because up to now, it has all been Aaron Rodgers (3-5-1 without an HOF QB at the helm).
Just going by the eye test of what I've seen of his play. I'd rather have him than anyone on the Browns roster.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Murray is a poor man's Demarco Murray who is a poor man's Eddie George who is a poor man's Adrian Peterson. It's very strange seeing a big back who is built like that appear to run the football with such trepidation. He had a few good runs, but it was all the Oline's doing. If McKinnon goes down, they're in trouble.
I disagree. Murray has lost a lot of yardage behind the line where DL are busting through. He's also ran most of the time on first down which is much more predictable. Murray is a good back. I dont think there is any doubt about that. Murray is a VOLUME back very much like a guy that use to be here. AP. You cant give him 8-9 carries and just call it a day and then judge him off of that. He needs more carries. He's a grinder. If McKinnon went down Murray would be that much better because he'll actually be getting legitimate carries

He's averaged over 4 yards his whole career but is averaging 2 now when we have improved run blocking?? There is reasoning behind that. He's getting nowhere near the volume he was before.

Trust me when I say this, I played against this kid for 2 years in high school, watched him throughout college and watched him in Oakland. He's a good back but he needs more carries. Not "Lets run him on first down when everyone knows we're probably running" then put McKinnon in. That's happened way too often this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

[quote="Pondering Her Percy]
I disagree. Murray has lost a lot of yardage behind the line where DL are busting through. He's also ran most of the time on first down which is much more predictable. Murray is a good back. I dont think there is any doubt about that. Murray is a VOLUME back very much like a guy that use to be here. AP. You cant give him 8-9 carries and just call it a day and then judge him off of that. He needs more carries. He's a grinder. If McKinnon went down Murray would be that much better because he'll actually be getting legitimate carries

He's averaged over 4 yards his whole career but is averaging 2 now when we have improved run blocking?? There is reasoning behind that. He's getting nowhere near the volume he was before. [/quote]

He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Murray has had some nice runs between the tackles. He just seems really slow and lacking strength. Looks like he's still hurt or out of shape.

Most impressive run by Mckinnon on Sunday was his 2 yd TD run. Didn't think he had it in him to get to the goal line like that. I'm still worried about the running game but TBH, I'm glad we at least have Mckinnon right now. The Ravens struggle stopping the run. They're ranked #30 right now (5th in passing D). I'll think about jumping on the JET bandwagon if he has another productive game on Sunday.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:
He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.
Lynch is running behind that same OL right now and looks awful and he's one of the toughest runners out there. OAK is 24th in the league for rushing offense and they can thank Jalen Richard for not allowing them to be dead last. I don't think that's the issue. Like I said he's a volume back. Just like AP is and Lynch is. Look what AP was averaging in NO getting 6 carries a game. Look what he did when he got 20+ carries in one game with Arizona and was only there for a few days to get the plays down and get use to the blocking. And Arizonas OL is worse than New Orleans. We're setting the guy up for failure when you're giving him single digit carries each game and giving him the ball in obvious running situations. No way he should be getting less carries. Especially when you have a back that's part midget and can't stay healthy or carry a load. Don't get me wrong Jet has played well, but he's not a workhorse. Murray is. Murray needs volume. Not 7 carries a game. That's not him nor was it AP. (And no im not comparing the two, they are just similar style backs)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Lynch is running behind that same OL right now and looks awful and he's one of the toughest runners out there. OAK is 24th in the league for rushing offense and they can thank Jalen Richard for not allowing them to be dead last. I don't think that's the issue. Like I said he's a volume back. Just like AP is and Lynch is. Look what AP was averaging in NO getting 6 carries a game. Look what he did when he got 20+ carries in one game with Arizona and was only there for a few days to get the plays down and get use to the blocking. And Arizonas OL is worse than New Orleans. We're setting the guy up for failure when you're giving him single digit carries each game and giving him the ball in obvious running situations. No way he should be getting less carries. Especially when you have a back that's part midget and can't stay healthy or carry a load. Don't get me wrong Jet has played well, but he's not a workhorse. Murray is. Murray needs volume. Not 7 carries a game. That's not him nor was it AP. (And no im not comparing the two, they are just similar style backs)
"Part midget" or not, Jet has badly outplayed Murray. That's by any metric you want to use, statistical or observational.

You say giving Murray single-digit carries sets him up for failure. Giving him 20 carries would set the VIKINGS up for failure. I'll take the former.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: "Part midget" or not, Jet has badly outplayed Murray. That's by any metric you want to use, statistical or observational.

You say giving Murray single-digit carries sets him up for failure. Giving him 20 carries would set the VIKINGS up for failure. I'll take the former.
Seriously, I still have PTSD from AP. Even watching the Cards game there was no sadness or jealousy just a thought of "Wait till you need 2 yards and AP stutter steps 3 times looking for a TD lane"
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I dont think enough people are discussing Griffens celebration after his sack....
Formerly AADPFan