Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!

Post by Norv Zimmer »

mosscarter wrote:I've made my view clear on Teddy I cannot understand the blind support of this guy as a franchise quarterback. If you actually look at his statistics over two years, they are close or as bad as any starting quarterback in the league. I think he averages 1 touchdown pass per game at best (that is pathetic). People tend to say, "he wins games." Well, that is easy to do with that defense and Peterson rushing for 1,500 yards. I would rather have Keenum in there Teddy has a noodle arm and quite frankly I don't care if he is a nice guy.

I agree, there is no basis for all the faith people put in him. He has never been that great of a NFL QB and to think that he can just come back from the devastating injury and play at the level he was at (which is not that great) is pipe dreams.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

IrishViking wrote:
He IS a backup.

Except everyone saying he should play out the year. Teddy should start being prepared for 1st team play immediately until he shows he isn't ready. Not artificially hold him back because Keenum is """"""playing well"""""" (if you squint and its foggy).[/quote]

You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Norv Zimmer wrote:
You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?
While I agree with this concept in principal, I can see a couple reasons why the team would start Teddy:

1) If we lose the next two games, it will be clear that the season is over with Case. There would be nothing to lose at that point, might as well see if Teddy will be able to play again; or

2) During practice the coaching staff comes to the decision that Teddy really has recovered and will bring more to the field than Case.

After this season, we have no quarterback under contract. The coaching staff kind of has to figure out which two of the four they want to bring back next year, if any. We already know that Sam is injury prone and likely done here. Case is a career backup. Teddy, we don't know about after his injury. And Sloter has never taken a regular season rep. If the Vikings are 6-2 (an argument could also be made for 5-3) coming into the bye, I see no reason to make a switch at QB unless the coaching staff truly believes that Teddy will bring that much more than Case.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:
I agree, there is no basis for all the faith people put in him. He has never been that great of a NFL QB and to think that he can just come back from the devastating injury and play at the level he was at (which is not that great) is pipe dreams.
I'm not a Teddy sycophant by any means. I actually like a healthy Bradford better as a quarterback.

But I have to disagree with this.

Teddy didn't light the world on fire statistically, but he is the last Viking to quarterback a division winner. He also was showing signs of progress last year during preseason. I'm not talking statistically. I'm talking about the WAY he was throwing the football. My criticism of Teddy was never about the intangibles of quarterback play. He's smart, he's prepared, and his teammates will run through fire for him. My criticisms were all mechanical in nature, that he didn't or couldn't drive the ball when he threw. He had a low, floppy elbow on his release and got under a lot of throws, causing them to float.

What I watched in last year's preseason was a quarterback who had obviously done some work with his coaches. He was throwing the ball with authority and driving it in to his receivers.

Does that mean he has an arm like Stafford or Rodgers or Bradford? No. But he was looking, at least to my eyes, like he had made huge strides with the mechanical aspects of his game.

Obviously, my opinion is really that of an armchair quarterback. But given the "noodle arm" comments, I'm assuming opinions here are based on the wobbly throws he often made. That's totally legitimate. I just happen to believe he had shown signs of moving past those bad habits. If he proves otherwise, I'm with you guys ... move on from Teddy. This IS the NFL, and you DO have to be able to throw the ball. But if he has improved his throwing, there's no way I'd discount his return.

The main thing, however, is that he suffered one of the worst knee injuries imaginable. There's no guarantee he'll ever be the same, and I would NEVER advocate rushing him back just because the coaches like him. But I don't think you kick him to the curb, either. The team has far too much invested in his recovery. So let him practice. See how things play out. If we're honest, we may make the playoffs with Case Keenum, but I doubt we make a deep run. Let's see what happens.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I'm not a Teddy sycophant by any means. I actually like a healthy Bradford better as a quarterback.

But I have to disagree with this.

Teddy didn't light the world on fire statistically, but he is the last Viking to quarterback a division winner. He also was showing signs of progress last year during preseason. I'm not talking statistically. I'm talking about the WAY he was throwing the football. My criticism of Teddy was never about the intangibles of quarterback play. He's smart, he's prepared, and his teammates will run through fire for him. My criticisms were all mechanical in nature, that he didn't or couldn't drive the ball when he threw. He had a low, floppy elbow on his release and got under a lot of throws, causing them to float.

What I watched in last year's preseason was a quarterback who had obviously done some work with his coaches. He was throwing the ball with authority and driving it in to his receivers.

Does that mean he has an arm like Stafford or Rodgers or Bradford? No. But he was looking, at least to my eyes, like he had made huge strides with the mechanical aspects of his game.

Obviously, my opinion is really that of an armchair quarterback. But given the "noodle arm" comments, I'm assuming opinions here are based on the wobbly throws he often made. That's totally legitimate. I just happen to believe he had shown signs of moving past those bad habits. If he proves otherwise, I'm with you guys ... move on from Teddy. This IS the NFL, and you DO have to be able to throw the ball. But if he has improved his throwing, there's no way I'd discount his return.

The main thing, however, is that he suffered one of the worst knee injuries imaginable. There's no guarantee he'll ever be the same, and I would NEVER advocate rushing him back just because the coaches like him. But I don't think you kick him to the curb, either. The team has far too much invested in his recovery. So let him practice. See how things play out. If we're honest, we may make the playoffs with Case Keenum, but I doubt we make a deep run. Let's see what happens.
For one I am not saying kick him to the curb, and to those so negative on Case why are you? His stats for this year are not bad... not bad at all.
1,134 yards 5 td 1 int. 4 sacks 93.1 passer rating 64.2 completion percentage.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Except everyone saying he should play out the year. Teddy should start being prepared for 1st team play immediately until he shows he isn't ready. Not artificially hold him back because Keenum is """"""playing well"""""" (if you squint and its foggy).
You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?[/quote]

WHO is saying start him against the Ravens?!?
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Norv Zimmer wrote:For one I am not saying kick him to the curb, and to those so negative on Case why are you? His stats for this year are not bad... not bad at all.
1,134 yards 5 td 1 int. 4 sacks 93.1 passer rating 64.2 completion percentage.
He was lucky he didn't have 2 more picks yesterday, he missed several wide open throws and was bailed out by a couple of insane catches.

If that stat line said 1,100 yards 5 tds 4 int. 4 sacks 81.3 passer rating 60.1 completion percentage. People would be a lot more okay with ""moving on"" and barring a couple of crazy catches and stupid drops by the Packers thats what is SHOULD read.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:I've made my view clear on Teddy I cannot understand the blind support of this guy as a franchise quarterback. If you actually look at his statistics over two years, they are close or as bad as any starting quarterback in the league. I think he averages 1 touchdown pass per game at best (that is pathetic). People tend to say, "he wins games." Well, that is easy to do with that defense and Peterson rushing for 1,500 yards. I would rather have Keenum in there Teddy has a noodle arm and quite frankly I don't care if he is a nice guy.
I do and dont understand where you're coming from. I understand that there is an overabundance of support for him for really not doing a whole lot. I have said I will take a healthy Bradford over a healthy Teddy. But Case over Teddy?? Not a chance

You say that it was "easy for Teddy" given he had this defense and AP. Well I can tell you that this defense is better than it was in 2015 and we still have a solid running game no matter who is playing plus an improved OL. So if it was "easy for Teddy", wouldnt you want him in there??

Also, you say Teddy has a "noodle arm". Have you not seen some of Keenums deep balls this year. The 2 that floated to Treadwell vs Detroit and the one awful one to Thielen yesterday. I dont really think Keenum has that much of a better arm that Teddy. No less, Keenum is known to be wildly inaccurate. He has a career completion percentage of 59% vs. Teddy's 64%.

Teddy's intangibles are what do it for me. I can tell you right now, this team has Super Bowl potential but I dont think I would want to rely on Case carrying us through the playoffs. Just my opinion
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

IrishViking wrote: He was lucky he didn't have 2 more picks yesterday, he missed several wide open throws and was bailed out by a couple of insane catches.

If that stat line said 1,100 yards 5 tds 4 int. 4 sacks 81.3 passer rating 60.1 completion percentage. People would be a lot more okay with ""moving on"" and barring a couple of crazy catches and stupid drops by the Packers thats what is SHOULD read.
I get it... you dont like Keenum. If I had my choice he wouldn't be the starter either. But, that is the hand we are dealt. The coaching staff can prepare Teddy all they like but until Keenum goes down or we start losing because of him they should not even think about putting him in.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I do and dont understand where you're coming from. I understand that there is an overabundance of support for him for really not doing a whole lot. I have said I will take a healthy Bradford over a healthy Teddy. But Case over Teddy?? Not a chance

You say that it was "easy for Teddy" given he had this defense and AP. Well I can tell you that this defense is better than it was in 2015 and we still have a solid running game no matter who is playing plus an improved OL. So if it was "easy for Teddy", wouldnt you want him in there??

Also, you say Teddy has a "noodle arm". Have you not seen some of Keenums deep balls this year. The 2 that floated to Treadwell vs Detroit and the one awful one to Thielen yesterday. I dont really think Keenum has that much of a better arm that Teddy. No less, Keenum is known to be wildly inaccurate. He has a career completion percentage of 59% vs. Teddy's 64%.

Teddy's intangibles are what do it for me. I can tell you right now, this team has Super Bowl potential but I dont think I would want to rely on Case carrying us through the playoffs. Just my opinion

The noodle arm crap is the most asinine argument in football ever. If a QB can throw it 30 yards, that's all they need because of human kinds limits on foot speed. THAT stretches the field because whether the QB can throw it 90 yards or 31 yards on a rope there is a minimum distance a D will play back to still be able to respond to short play and a maximum they will play back because WR still need to run downfield. and LONG LONG play is 6 seconds. Teddy has the arm strength to play in the NFL. Period. and TBH his intermediate throws have always looked razor sharp and fast. Versus Keenum's bobbly wobbly arcs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IrishViking wrote: The noodle arm crap is the most asinine argument in football ever. If a QB can throw it 30 yards, that's all they need because of human kinds limits on foot speed. THAT stretches the field because whether the QB can throw it 90 yards or 31 yards on a rope there is a minimum distance a D will play back to still be able to respond to short play and a maximum they will play back because WR still need to run downfield. and LONG LONG play is 6 seconds. Teddy has the arm strength to play in the NFL. Period. and TBH his intermediate throws have always looked razor sharp and fast. Versus Keenum's bobbly wobbly arcs.
+1 :thumbsup:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Norv Zimmer wrote: I get it... you dont like Keenum. If I had my choice he wouldn't be the starter either. But, that is the hand we are dealt. The coaching staff can prepare Teddy all they like but until Keenum goes down or we start losing because of him they should not even think about putting him in.

No I like him fine, I think he is a fantastic back up, I hope we keep him after this year. You keep a back up in until your starter is ready. You don't keep the starter out out because the backup is barely doing enough not to lose games.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I don't think any of us know how Teddy is going to do. We got 3 weeks starting Wednesday to figure that out.
I know one thing for certain Zimmer won't rush him back. He will make sure that Teddy is healthy.
Lets just sit back and see how things unfold.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:I don't think any of us know how Teddy is going to do. We got 3 weeks starting Wednesday to figure that out.
I know one thing for certain Zimmer won't rush him back. He will make sure that Teddy is healthy.
Lets just sit back and see how things unfold.
There is no room for your rational takes online.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly