Sam-Teddy-Case thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Sam-Teddy-Case thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote:Spielman made the right move to trade for Bradford I think but I also think it's fair to say he's injury prone (if that's the phrase you want to use). That's to say he's more likely than a person who has never had an ACL tear to have problems with his knee. The fact that it has happened twice makes it worse, of course. Now there is yet a 3rd problem with the knee.

Three injuries to the same knee that is now so bad it's hard to tell what's wrong with it when it starts acting up. I don't know if that's "injury prone" but I do know it's a lot more likely to get injured than someone who hasn't had the same problems.
It's honestly like the word "bust". It's so overused and half the time, people dont even know what it truly means. I actually found a pretty good site regarding injury history because I wanted to look back on Bradford. It's http://sportsinjurypredictor.com It actually shows a model of each player in professional sports and where they got hurt along with descriptions of the injury. It's funny when you look at Rudy's model compared to Bradfords. Rudy had a lot more injuries but nobody ever talks about Rudy anymore. It use to be constant talk on here that Rudy is injury prone.

I dont know I just dont think I classify Bradford as injury prone. It seemed he got that label early in his career and nobody ever let it go. I mean he hasnt had an issue with his knee in over 3 years. It's just another one of those touchy words. Some people with perceive him like that others wont. IMO, guys like Tyler Eifert, Sean Lee, Kevin White and even Luke Kuechly now are injury prone IMO. They are hurt year after year. I dont look at Bradford like those guys
Bridgewater's ACL could very well put him into the same category before it's all said and done. We just don't know yet. His concussion I think we all know wasn't a result of him being "prone to injury".
Right same goes for Rudy vs. Dallas when a guy tackled him and literally sat on his foot and broke it. It more just the way you fall at times can tear or break something.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

mansquatch wrote:So depressing...

It is conceivable that next year Case Keenum will be our only healthy starting QB. I know that is worst case, but given all that we are seeing it is an outcome with real potential to occur. If that isn't enough of a gut punch, it is happening because of bad luck and nothing more. UGH.
It wasn't bad luck trading for Bradford. Not having a viable backup option behind Teddy was a mistake as well as trading for an often injured two time ACL guy in Bradford.

Teddy getting hurt was bad luck, but a good GM doesn't put all his eggs in one basket at the QB position. Spielman did it twice, trading a first rounder (could have been Deshawn Watson) for Bradford. Not taking shots at mid round QB's in previous drafts. Guys like Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:You know what I really find funny......

The fact that Sam Bradford is labeled "injury prone" because of two ACL injuries and it was "stupid" to trade for him. Teddy Bridgewater has 1 ACL injury. Does that mean he's one injury away from being "injury prone". Outside of the ACL's, Bradford missed some time due to a sprained ankle and only missed two games with a shoulder sprain.

Teddy on the other had, has 1 ACL injury, a concussion and also an ankle sprain that caused him to miss time his rookie year.

So because Sam Bradford has ONE more ACL injury than Teddy, he's considered injury prone?? Is that really how it works??
Let me start by repeating something I've said many times -- I like Sam Bradford a lot. I think he's a top-5 arm talent in the entire NFL. Nobody throws a better deep ball, and we've all seen what he can do with the short stuff. When he's healthy, he's a tremendous passer.

But he's had far more than the two ACL injuries.

• He missed 10 games in 2011 because of an ankle sprain that initially caused him to miss 6 games, then 4 more when he re-injured it twice.
• He missed 2 games in 2015 because of a concussion and 2 more because of a shoulder dislocation.
• That's in addition to the 25 games he missed during 2013 and 2014 due to the two ACL tears.

Add in the 3 games he's missed this season, and you're looking at a guy who has missed 41% of his team's games (39 out of 95) in 6+ years. With that track record, it's completely accurate to say he's been injury prone during his NFL career. And that doesn't count the 16 games he missed due to injury at Oklahoma. There's just no way around it ... Sam is a guy who has trouble staying on the field.

Again, I love Sam Bradford. I think he's mega-talented, and I think the four years he spent under Jeff Fisher probably had as much to do with his injury history as anything. I wish he could stay healthy because I believe he's talented enough and smart enough to be the franchise quarterback we've been waiting for since Daunte Culpepper shredded his knee. But the unfortunate truth is that Sam Bradford is injury prone. There's simply no arguing it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

FireSpieldope wrote: It wasn't bad luck trading for Bradford. Not having a viable backup option behind Teddy was a mistake as well as trading for an often injured two time ACL guy in Bradford.

Teddy getting hurt was bad luck, but a good GM doesn't put all his eggs in one basket at the QB position. Spielman did it twice, trading a first rounder (could have been Deshawn Watson) for Bradford. Not taking shots at mid round QB's in previous drafts. Guys like Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson.
It's easy to be right about guys like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson when you're looking at it after the fact.

The truth is that every team in the NFL passed on Dak Prescott -- 3 times. And every team in the NFL passed on Russell Wilson. That includes the Cowboys and the Seahawks. Plus, let's watch Dak Prescott over the next few weeks when he doesn't have Zeke Elliott. The Cowboys are struggling this year even with Zeke, and a decently large part of it is because of the inaccuracy issues Prescott had in college, which caused him to fall down the board to the 4th round. His completion percentage is down, his YPA is down, his interception percentage is up, and he's not hitting on throws down the field. Not to mention, the Cowboys don't have the soft schedule they had last year. Consequently, his team is 2-3.

As for Wilson, very few 5-10 quarterbacks succeed in this league.

If we're honest here, we see that the Vikings have three pretty good quarterbacks on the roster. It just so happens that two of them are hurt. Of course, with a handle like "FireSpieldope," you're not likely to be swayed, so I'm probably wasting my time here.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: It's easy to be right about guys like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson when you're looking at it after the fact.

The truth is that every team in the NFL passed on Dak Prescott -- 3 times. And every team in the NFL passed on Russell Wilson. That includes the Cowboys and the Seahawks. Plus, let's watch Dak Prescott over the next few weeks when he doesn't have Zeke Elliott. The Cowboys are struggling this year even with Zeke, and a decently large part of it is because of the inaccuracy issues Prescott had in college, which caused him to fall down the board to the 4th round. His completion percentage is down, his YPA is down, his interception percentage is up, and he's not hitting on throws down the field. Not to mention, the Cowboys don't have the soft schedule they had last year. Consequently, his team is 2-3.

As for Wilson, very few 5-10 quarterbacks succeed in this league.

If we're honest here, we see that the Vikings have three pretty good quarterbacks on the roster. It just so happens that two of them are hurt. Of course, with a handle like "FireSpieldope," you're not likely to be swayed, so I'm probably wasting my time here.
I agree with you on Dak. It's still too early to say he is a steal or will be a great QB. But he's looked pretty good so far. You are right that not many mid round picks turn out, but some do. When you don't draft any your chances are zero though. You got to take a shot if you don't have a good backup, which the Vikings did not. Some teams take a shot and they end up with the Dak, to Russell Wilson or Tom Brady. Instead Spieldope wastes picks on guys like MoBO.

My stance on the Bradford trade, still the same. Hated it then. hate it now. Heck he could have been had for a late round pick a few weeks later when inevitably the young top pick got his chance. Bradford was never staying with the Eagles so to give up a 1st for him was overpaying.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Remember too, mobile QBs look good for one season, maybe two if they are lucky. Kaepernick looked like a star in the making, and really so did Michael Vick. Vick was decent for most of his career because he was an accurate passer. Almost all of the rest of them fizzle off because they can move but they can't throw. Dak hasn't shown me enough accuracy to tell me he will be any different than Kaepernick or RGIII.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

FireSpieldope wrote: I agree with you on Dak. It's still too early to say he is a steal or will be a great QB. But he's looked pretty good so far. You are right that not many mid round picks turn out, but some do. When you don't draft any your chances are zero though. You got to take a shot if you don't have a good backup, which the Vikings did not. Some teams take a shot and they end up with the Dak, to Russell Wilson or Tom Brady. Instead Spieldope wastes picks on guys like MoBO.
But it's not like we haven't drafted ANY mid- to late-round QBs.

Tarvaris Jackson, 2006
Tyler Thigpen, 2007
John David Booty, 2008
Joe Webb, 2010

Then of course, there's Ponder and Bridgewater, who were first-rounders. Six quarterbacks in 9 years.

Not saying any of these guys were worth a darn, with the possible exception of Teddy. But that's the thing with mid- or late-round QBs. For every Dak Prescott, there's 25 John David Bootys.

MoBo, I'll give you. Wasted pick. But he's also drafted guys like Stefon Diggs (5th), Danielle Hunter (3rd) and Griffen (4th); he hit the jackpot with undrafted Adam Thielen; and he's hit on a ton of first- and second-rounders (Barr, Kendricks, Smith, Rhodes, Cook, Rudolph, Kalil before all the injuries, et. al.).
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: But it's not like we haven't drafted ANY mid- to late-round QBs.

Tarvaris Jackson, 2006
Tyler Thigpen, 2007
John David Booty, 2008
Joe Webb, 2010

Then of course, there's Ponder and Bridgewater, who were first-rounders. Six quarterbacks in 9 years.

Not saying any of these guys were worth a darn, with the possible exception of Teddy. But that's the thing with mid- or late-round QBs. For every Dak Prescott, there's 25 John David Bootys.

MoBo, I'll give you. Wasted pick. But he's also drafted guys like Stefon Diggs (5th), Danielle Hunter (3rd) and Griffen (4th); he hit the jackpot with undrafted Adam Thielen; and he's hit on a ton of first- and second-rounders (Barr, Kendricks, Smith, Rhodes, Cook, Rudolph, Kalil before all the injuries, et. al.).
Yep it was 2010 and Spielman was not GM yet so it's hard to credit/blame him for those. Since Ponder was drafted we have not seen ANY good QB's or competition IF/WHEN the starter goes down. I said it in another thread that it is detrimental overall to make sure your backup is far worse then your starter so you don't have any QB controversy. I can only think that is why Spielman continued with such poor backup options.

Teams like Washington who drafted RG3 still draft Cousins IN THE SAME YEAR. Cousins is a good QB, not great but good enough so they have had to franchise him twice now. So after RG3 flamed out, they had another option. Teams like the Patriots continue to draft QB's even with Tom Brady, again because they know you need a good backup QB in case Brady misses time.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

mansquatch wrote:So depressing...

It is conceivable that next year Case Keenum will be our only healthy starting QB. I know that is worst case, but given all that we are seeing it is an outcome with real potential to occur. If that isn't enough of a gut punch, it is happening because of bad luck and nothing more. UGH.

it's not just conceivable, it's likely Case will be the only QB we have next year. Both Teddy and Sam are one tiny small hit or turf trip away from Being crippled. Come on guys, really?, neither of these injury prone guys are the future here. It's pretty obvious.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Since Ponder was drafted we have not seen ANY good QB's or competition IF/WHEN the starter goes down.
Because the GM was never willing to sign/draft anyone capable of competing. Which was pointed out by multiple posters every year since Ponder was drafted. Including the signing of a guy like Keenum... :hitfan:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Vikings organization as a whole doesnt know how to pick QBs. Rick certainly doesnt. We need to get someone who does, right now. Because reguardless of who is playing QB at the end of the year, we need to draft a better option now. And no more FA's that cost a first pick, have been injured most of their career, and have the worst Oline in the NFL. We get a QB and build the Oline around him. We are good on RBs (once Cook is back) and WR's for now. I would even suggest trying to get something for Treedwell (I hate the excuse he hasnt seen time-he hasnt seen much time on the field cause he shows nothing at practice or when he is on the field) and Wright. Chicago could use both.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

S197 wrote:Teddy's head, Sam's arm, and Case's knees. Case Bradwater.
WE CAN REBUILD HIM.....WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

We brought Sloter in and paid him above what we had to. How many year contract did we sign him to?
Maybe he is our future.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

halfgiz wrote:We brought Sloter in and paid him above what we had to. How many year contract did we sign him to?
Maybe he is our future.
Just one year. The Vikings don't have anyone under contract for 2018 unless TB sits the whole year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just thought this was interesting.
Every starting quarterback’s draft position (self.nfl)
Submitted 8 hours ago by BongoKing3

1st Round: Goff (1), Winston (1), Luck (1), Manning (1), Bradford (1), Stafford (1), Palmer (1), Newton (1), Smith (1), Trubisky (2), Mariota (2), Wentz (2), Bortles (3), Ryan (3), Rivers (4), Roethlisberger (11), Cutler (11), Watson (12), Flacco (18), Rodgers (24)

2nd Round: Brees (32), Dalton (35), Carr (36)

3rd Round: Wilson (75), McCown (81)

4th Round: Cousins (102), Prescott (135)

5th Round: Hogan (162)

6th Round: Taylor (180), Brady (199)

7th Round: Siemian (250)

Undrafted: Hoyer

Yes, I was bored.

Every starting quarterback’s draft position

*The OP listed Bradford. Keenum would be grouped with Hoyer as undrafted.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014