2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I know I'm jinxing but
Eric Eager‏ @PFF_EricEager

The #Vikings have allowed -1 yards on punt returns so far this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:I know I'm jinxing but
Quigley has been very good. He has outperformed Locke in every aspect, IMO.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Quigley has been very good. He has outperformed Locke in every aspect, IMO.

I disagree. Quigley has a weak leg, and the short punts allow the coverage to be able to stop any return. The ST part og the Vikings is not good, at all. Locke killed us last Sunday.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I disagree. Quigley has a weak leg, and the short punts allow the coverage to be able to stop any return. The ST part og the Vikings is not good, at all. Locke killed us last Sunday.
i thought so too (poor ST overall) because of poor KRs, missed FGs, penalties on FGs, and the failed fake punt but PFF disagrees. They have the Vikings with the 2nd best ST so far.

2. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
After years of watching former fifth-round pick Jeff Locke struggle as their punter, veteran Ryan Quigley has quietly graded out as the league’s fifth-best player at the position through four games. Only 18.8 percent of Quigley’s punts have been returned (second-fewest in the league), and those that have been returned have gained a total of -1 yards. Fullback C.J. Ham (three tackles), safety Jayron Kearse (two tackles) and undrafted rookie linebackers Eric Wilson (three tackles) have been standouts among coverage units that have missed only one tackle through four games.

Special Teams Rankings - Weeks 1-4
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Several teams are hurting at WR. (Giants, Bears...) I wonder if we should be shopping Treadwell, Wright, Adams.... (not Coley, I like him).

In a couple weeks we are going to have 3 starting QBs, i cant recall the vikings ever having that problem. (in the past 25 years at least)
Formerly AADPFan
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It would not surprise me to see Treadwell moved in the next few weeks.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It would not surprise me to see Treadwell moved in the next few weeks.

For what? A 6th or 7th round pick? I can't imagine Spielman setting aside his ego enough to pull that move. It would be an admission that he swung and missed on a high draft pick.

Also, @ Grasshoppa: I think it's highly unlikely that we will have our top 3 QBs ready to play in a few weeks. Teddy is unlikely to actually play this year, IMO, and Bradford looked like he needs another month off at the very least. Maybe I'm overreacting because I'm currently recovering from ACL replacement and menisci repair surgery myself, so I'm hyper aware of the severity, but these are not minor issues for these players to overcome. AD is an exception, not the norm. I'd honestly put the odds at 50-50 on both Bradford and Teddy on EVER making a significant return to the NFL, much less this season (much less in 3 weeks). Hopefully I'm wrong!
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Texas Vike wrote: Also, @ Grasshoppa: I think it's highly unlikely that we will have our top 3 QBs ready to play in a few weeks.
I was more looking forward to 2018. (couple weeks jsut being when Teddy was available again)
AD is an exception, not the norm. I'd honestly put the odds at 50-50 on both Bradford and Teddy on EVER making a significant return to the NFL
Hopefully Cook is another exception.
Formerly AADPFan
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Again I will say time and time again regarding Treadwell, he has Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen in front of him. A #3 WR isnt involved in an offense enough to just explode onto the scene. It would need a long term injury for Treadwell to legitimately prove himself right now. You arent surpassing two of the best WRs in football right now no matter what you do.

IMO, Treadwell was put in a tough spot. When we drafted him, Diggs was emerging but wasnt trusted as a #1 yet. Thielen was a no-name at the time. And Patterson couldnt run routes or figure out an offense to save his life. So it made perfect sense to take Treadwell where we did. Our WR corps was a mystery at the time. Then the 2016 season hits, Diggs explodes, Thielen explodes and Patterson finally figured out how to make an impact as a WR. Add in that Treadwell also struggled with the offense as 90% of rookie WRs do, he didnt get much of an opportunity.

Going into this season, the #1 and #2 jobs were sewn up no matter what. Diggs and Thielen werent moving from those spots. Granted he won the #3 job. However, Qbs just dont seem to be targeting him and I dont know why. He has ran some good routes and has been open on his fair share of plays. I also feel that Shurmur is primarily focused on Diggs and Thielen and much less on Treadwell from what I have seen. And it's so obvious when we are going to run because they sub him in. He currently has 5 catches for 42 yards on 10 targets. 2-3 of those targets came vs Detroit and were awful throws by Keenum.

Idk but honestly, I feel bad for the kid. He has stayed after just about every practice on the jugs machine since his rookie year. He had the chips fall the wrong way for him. Had the injury last year. This kid is a talented WR. I'm not going to sit here and say he is a bust and honestly if you do, given what I just explained above, then thats pretty ignorant.

I have said it before and I will say it again.... a BUST is a guy like Ponder, Jamarcus Russell and Troy Williamson. They were given PLENTY of opportunities to start and perform and failed at it. What opportunities has Treadwell been given since he's gotten here?? Think about it. Very, very little. Almost next to none. That my friends, isn't classified as a "bust" IMO. Until he is given a legitimate opportunity, then we can judge. I'll be the first to eat crow and say he is a bust if he cant capitalize on big opportunities but until then, he's a mystery IMO.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dalvin's surgery went well. Expected back by training camp.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Good news DP thanks for update!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Teddy going to get evaluated Monday. If all good as expected, cleared for practice.

Zimmer said he still expects Teddy to play this season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote:Teddy going to get evaluated Monday. If all good as expected, cleared for practice.

Zimmer said he still expects Teddy to play this season.

That'd be an amazing feat if he plays this year.