"Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL.com

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL

Post by Norv Zimmer »

soflavike wrote:Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.
I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

The two home games have shown players on both sides slipping and sliding around like crazy. How difficult is it to make artificial turf?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Norv Zimmer wrote: I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.
I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though
Honestly, I think as long as Murray can pick up 3-4 yards a pop on average and not fumble the ball, that's what they need him to do to have success as a unit. I don't expect Murray to bust off huge plays and he likely won't be anywhere near as exciting as Cook, but if he can do his part, the offense can still be successful this year.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I would really like to see the vikings get another RB sooner then later. I know Murray hasnt played much, but even he said his ankle isnt 100%. Mck is a waste of space and a 3rd round pick IMO. And Ham is, well, Ham. I would personally try and get something for McK and bring in 2 RBs.

I know they would'nt get rid of McK now, since he knows the offense, but he just doesnt get the job done. It would be nice though to have a promising young RB take his spot though, while Cook recovers. And eventually take McKinnon's spot on the team.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingLord wrote:
Honestly, I think as long as Murray can pick up 3-4 yards a pop on average and not fumble the ball, that's what they need him to do to have success as a unit. I don't expect Murray to bust off huge plays and he likely won't be anywhere near as exciting as Cook, but if he can do his part, the offense can still be successful this year.
If Murray is completely healed up and ready to go.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

If this team ever made it a full season without a significant amount of injuries would nice change. I knew as soon as he cut it was season ending. Players were slipping all day. Better get that fixed before the superbowl. Here's to a season of what if's.
Boomer Sooner
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though
That's exactly what I called him in another thread ... AD, but slower and less explosive. He seems to have that same "get out of my way, you stupid offensive linemen" mentality that AD had at times. But you know what? Murray was a Pro Bowler year before last. So let's see how he does as the No. 1 back.

Damn, I want to throw up again. Every time I think about Dalvin Cook. Man, this sucks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Is there a reason why we can't have actual grass turf in the stadium?
What with the roof, and being able to open the panels. doesn't it just behave like a big greenhouse?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Grass vs Turf: Which is Safer?

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/09/ ... -is-safer/
Comparing the safety of new and improved modern artificial turf fields to grass fields has become a back-and-forth debate over the past few years. Studies have provided evidence supporting and opposing the idea that turf fields are more dangerous than grass fields. According to Justin Shaginaw, an athletic trainer for the US soccer federation, a 2011 study found a higher frequency of ankle injuries on turf for football, soccer, and rugby players. Also, a 2012 study showed that more college football players suffered ACL injuries on turf than on grass. On the other hand, both a 2010 study on college football players and a 2013 study on female college soccer players showed a higher frequency of all injuries on grass than on turf. However, according to John Brenkus in one of his Sport Science videos, recent studies have shown that turf reduces the risk for injury by over 10%, yet turf increases stress on the ACL joint by about 45%. Brenkus even talked about a study covering over 2,600 NFL games, saying players were 67% more likely to sprain their ACL on turf than on grass.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Alex Morgan on why artificial turf is tough for players

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... /17295011/
Dr. Michael Freitas, associate professor of clinical orthopedics and team doctor for the Western New York Flash (which plays on turf), says it's hard to tell if there's actually a difference between playing on artificial turf versus natural grass in terms of injuries.

"One of the issues is not all turf is created equally," Freitas says, citing studies across several sports. "I think the jury is still out. I think there's not enough information out there right now to say one is better than the other."

He said in the last year, the Flash had three major injuries on three different surfaces — grass, and two different types of turf.

"This illustrates the fact that we don't really know if one is better than the other," he says. "But from a lot of players I've talked to, artificial surfaces can be harder, less cushioning, and they may get more aches and pains as opposed to a true catastrophic ligament rupture. I don't know if those symptoms are captured in the studies we see."

This is mainly what Morgan has experienced firsthand.

"When I play on grass, my body doesn't ache," she says. "It can get sore, but it doesn't pulse and my legs don't ache. When I play on turf, my legs can pulse and ache for up to 24 hours and it could take 3-5 days to recover, whereas grass, after 24 hours I'm ready to play again."
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

UKno1VIKING wrote:Is there a reason why we can't have actual grass turf in the stadium?
What with the roof, and being able to open the panels. doesn't it just behave like a big greenhouse?
I would think it would be possible theoretically, but not sure in practice. One issue being the stadium is used for other things, meaning the turf needs to be removed or covered for other events.

I don't think real grass would react well to the process. Grass dies, turf doesn't. The stadium in Arizona was built with that huge sliding tray thing that allows them to move the whole field in on shot. That's not something that can be retrofit to an existing stadium.

I may be mistaken, but I think with the stuff they have now it just rolls up like a rug and is stored away.

Maybe they could have real grass on hundreds of smaller tray type things they could be moved in and out as needed?
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Side note, I think Viking fans need to take up a collection and hire a team of of Exorsists & Shamans to remove whatever curse is hanging over this franchise. Someone must have broken the mother of all mirrors or killed someone's billy goat or something. It's ridiculous how snake-bit this franchise is.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Tough break for Dalvin Cook. ACL injuries are no fun and hopefully he can fully recover from this 100% To think he got hurt in our place. What if he comes back and has the same injury next year. Then What?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

nightowl wrote:Side note, I think Viking fans need to take up a collection and hire a team of of Exorsists & Shamans to remove whatever curse is hanging over this franchise. Someone must have broken the mother of all mirrors or killed someone's billy goat or something. It's ridiculous how snake-bit this franchise is.

I think Mike Zimmer and/or Rick Spielman drank Jabu's rum.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi