View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL.com 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5627
Post "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL.com
"NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Dalvin Cook's knee injury is believed to be a nearly complete tear of his ACL based on an initial diagnosis for the rookie running back, per sources informed of the situation."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2088 ... -knee-game

'Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the team is concerned Cook may have injured his ACL. Cook is set to have an MRI on Monday.'

THE SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER


Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Profile
Waterboy

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:42 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Image


Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:47 pm
Profile
Waterboy

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:51 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Need to replace the turf while we are on the road. Diggs was slipping out there too.


Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 2916
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
kyvikingsfan wrote:
Need to replace the turf while we are on the road. Diggs was slipping out there too.


I've been wondering about this since the new stadium. I does seem like a disproportionate number of injuries on this new turf, doesn't it???


Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6601
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Cook appeared to go into valgus collapse with knee extension. That is the classic injury mechanism for a non-contact ACL injury. I grimaced as soon as I saw that.

Unfortunately, if the Lochman's Test and/or the Anterior Drawer test for the knee were positive (the tests I am assuming were performed) an MRI isn't really going to be favorable for Dalvin Cook.

I hate seeing any player go through non-contact injuries like that. Especially after it appeared the Vikings had lucked into an exceptional talent. Wish Dalvin all the best - good or bad news.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10703
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
VikingPaul73 wrote:
kyvikingsfan wrote:
Need to replace the turf while we are on the road. Diggs was slipping out there too.


I've been wondering about this since the new stadium. I does seem like a disproportionate number of injuries on this new turf, doesn't it???
The top of the turf, the "grass" is a little slick but there's thousands of tiny rubber pellets below that provide traction. That was my impression walking on it.

Field turf is supposed to be one of the better options, especially compared to astroturf. Not sure about real grass.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:32 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
This really sucks, I feel so sorry for Cook. He was the guy I really wanted during the draft, if we were going to pick a RB in the early rounds. Especially since we may have wasted a first round pick on a QB thats injured again. Imagine that, Sam Bradford's injured. Boggles the mind.

Cook was the the real deal, in all aspects of the game, unlike AD. Hopefully he can recover fully and be the RB he has been.

Whats with our guys and these serious injuries? Especially with the knees. Do we not have trainers that know what they are doing? It doesnt seem like these injuries are the norm in the NFL. Or is it just typical bad Vikings luck?


Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
This really sucks, I feel so sorry for Cook. He was the guy I really wanted during the draft, if we were going to pick a RB in the early rounds. Especially since we may have wasted a first round pick on a QB thats injured again. Imagine that, Sam Bradford's injured. Boggles the mind.

Cook was the the real deal, in all aspects of the game, unlike AD. Hopefully he can recover fully and be the RB he has been.

Whats with our guys and these serious injuries? Especially with the knees. Do we not have trainers that know what they are doing? It doesnt seem like these injuries are the norm in the NFL. Or is it just typical bad Vikings luck?


Like I said before, yeah what a waste because we were going to somehow have a good starting QB magically fall out of the sky and into our starting lineup. What else do you do when Teddy goes down prior to week 1??? I'll wait......

_________________
Image


Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
This is a gut punch. I simply can't imagine how things could get worse for this team. Teddy last year, Bradford this year, and now Cook, who was looking like the second coming of Marshall Faulk.

I know it does no good to feel sorry for oneself, but it's pretty tough right now to be a Vikings fan. I generally don't believe in stuff like curses, but this is beginning to make me wonder. Zimmer can say "next man up" all he wants, but there is no replacing Dalvin Cook.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
This is a gut punch. I simply can't imagine how things could get worse for this team. Teddy last year, Bradford this year, and now Cook, who was looking like the second coming of Marshall Faulk.

I know it does no good to feel sorry for oneself, but it's pretty tough right now to be a Vikings fan. I generally don't believe in stuff like curses, but this is beginning to make me wonder. Zimmer can say "next man up" all he wants, but there is no replacing Dalvin Cook.


Agreed I legit wanted to cry after that game ended yesterday. Right when we get a much improved OL and still have a stellar defense we have to lose our QB and star RB. I mean if Sam can get back fairly soon, I think we'll be fine because we do have Murray. Granted, Murray is no Cook but I would have to say Murray is the top backup in the NFL and could start on a lot of other teams right now.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3300
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
This is a gut punch. I simply can't imagine how things could get worse for this team. Teddy last year, Bradford this year, and now Cook, who was looking like the second coming of Marshall Faulk.

I know it does no good to feel sorry for oneself, but it's pretty tough right now to be a Vikings fan. I generally don't believe in stuff like curses, but this is beginning to make me wonder. Zimmer can say "next man up" all he wants, but there is no replacing Dalvin Cook.



Two years of non-contact injuries to the starting QB.
Three out of Four Seasons with the starting RB injured or suspended.
The Curse is real! UGH...

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 am
Posts: 985
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Don't forget we paid Murray 5 million freaking dollars. Lets see if he can live up to that paycheck, I doubt it but we really haven't seen him run much.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 446
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Looks like ACL tear is confirmed a few mintues ago.

_________________
Formerly AADPFan


Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Grashopa wrote:
Looks like ACL tear is confirmed a few mintues ago.


damn.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 9266
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.

_________________
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida


Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:01 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 823
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
soflavike wrote:
Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.


I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 546
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
The two home games have shown players on both sides slipping and sliding around like crazy. How difficult is it to make artificial turf?


Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Norv Zimmer wrote:
soflavike wrote:
Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.


I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.


I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5616
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
soflavike wrote:
Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.


I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.


I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though


Honestly, I think as long as Murray can pick up 3-4 yards a pop on average and not fumble the ball, that's what they need him to do to have success as a unit. I don't expect Murray to bust off huge plays and he likely won't be anywhere near as exciting as Cook, but if he can do his part, the offense can still be successful this year.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
I would really like to see the vikings get another RB sooner then later. I know Murray hasnt played much, but even he said his ankle isnt 100%. Mck is a waste of space and a 3rd round pick IMO. And Ham is, well, Ham. I would personally try and get something for McK and bring in 2 RBs.

I know they would'nt get rid of McK now, since he knows the offense, but he just doesnt get the job done. It would be nice though to have a promising young RB take his spot though, while Cook recovers. And eventually take McKinnon's spot on the team.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1614
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
VikingLord wrote:

Honestly, I think as long as Murray can pick up 3-4 yards a pop on average and not fumble the ball, that's what they need him to do to have success as a unit. I don't expect Murray to bust off huge plays and he likely won't be anywhere near as exciting as Cook, but if he can do his part, the offense can still be successful this year.


If Murray is completely healed up and ready to go.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:23 pm
Profile
Waterboy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm
Posts: 7
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
If this team ever made it a full season without a significant amount of injuries would nice change. I knew as soon as he cut it was season ending. Players were slipping all day. Better get that fixed before the superbowl. Here's to a season of what if's.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
soflavike wrote:
Feel bad for Dalvin. Hope the surgery goes well and he can recover for next year.

Looks like Murray and McKInnon going forward this season. I hope they can go forward, anyway. McKinnon is a decent 3rd down back, not great... Murray looks slow and clumsy to me. A lot of excitement and danger just got removed from the Vikings offense.


I am going to hold my opinions about Murray for another week. Let's wait and see him after a full week practice with the starters.


I played against Murray in high school. He's a poor mans AD IMO. When it comes to running the ball. He's a straight line powerful runner. Not very shifty. Catches and blocks much better than AD. He's definitely a solid back though

That's exactly what I called him in another thread ... AD, but slower and less explosive. He seems to have that same "get out of my way, you stupid offensive linemen" mentality that AD had at times. But you know what? Murray was a Pro Bowler year before last. So let's see how he does as the No. 1 back.

Damn, I want to throw up again. Every time I think about Dalvin Cook. Man, this sucks.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 280
Location: Bradford, UK
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Is there a reason why we can't have actual grass turf in the stadium?
What with the roof, and being able to open the panels. doesn't it just behave like a big greenhouse?


Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Grass vs Turf: Which is Safer?

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/09/ ... -is-safer/

Quote:
Comparing the safety of new and improved modern artificial turf fields to grass fields has become a back-and-forth debate over the past few years. Studies have provided evidence supporting and opposing the idea that turf fields are more dangerous than grass fields. According to Justin Shaginaw, an athletic trainer for the US soccer federation, a 2011 study found a higher frequency of ankle injuries on turf for football, soccer, and rugby players. Also, a 2012 study showed that more college football players suffered ACL injuries on turf than on grass. On the other hand, both a 2010 study on college football players and a 2013 study on female college soccer players showed a higher frequency of all injuries on grass than on turf. However, according to John Brenkus in one of his Sport Science videos, recent studies have shown that turf reduces the risk for injury by over 10%, yet turf increases stress on the ACL joint by about 45%. Brenkus even talked about a study covering over 2,600 NFL games, saying players were 67% more likely to sprain their ACL on turf than on grass.


Image

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Alex Morgan on why artificial turf is tough for players

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... /17295011/

Quote:
Dr. Michael Freitas, associate professor of clinical orthopedics and team doctor for the Western New York Flash (which plays on turf), says it's hard to tell if there's actually a difference between playing on artificial turf versus natural grass in terms of injuries.

"One of the issues is not all turf is created equally," Freitas says, citing studies across several sports. "I think the jury is still out. I think there's not enough information out there right now to say one is better than the other."

He said in the last year, the Flash had three major injuries on three different surfaces — grass, and two different types of turf.

"This illustrates the fact that we don't really know if one is better than the other," he says. "But from a lot of players I've talked to, artificial surfaces can be harder, less cushioning, and they may get more aches and pains as opposed to a true catastrophic ligament rupture. I don't know if those symptoms are captured in the studies we see."

This is mainly what Morgan has experienced firsthand.

"When I play on grass, my body doesn't ache," she says. "It can get sore, but it doesn't pulse and my legs don't ache. When I play on turf, my legs can pulse and ache for up to 24 hours and it could take 3-5 days to recover, whereas grass, after 24 hours I'm ready to play again."

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 am
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:57 pm
Posts: 2461
Location: Melbourne,Fl
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
UKno1VIKING wrote:
Is there a reason why we can't have actual grass turf in the stadium?
What with the roof, and being able to open the panels. doesn't it just behave like a big greenhouse?


I would think it would be possible theoretically, but not sure in practice. One issue being the stadium is used for other things, meaning the turf needs to be removed or covered for other events.

I don't think real grass would react well to the process. Grass dies, turf doesn't. The stadium in Arizona was built with that huge sliding tray thing that allows them to move the whole field in on shot. That's not something that can be retrofit to an existing stadium.

I may be mistaken, but I think with the stuff they have now it just rolls up like a rug and is stored away.

Maybe they could have real grass on hundreds of smaller tray type things they could be moved in and out as needed?


Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:57 pm
Posts: 2461
Location: Melbourne,Fl
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Side note, I think Viking fans need to take up a collection and hire a team of of Exorsists & Shamans to remove whatever curse is hanging over this franchise. Someone must have broken the mother of all mirrors or killed someone's billy goat or something. It's ridiculous how snake-bit this franchise is.


Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 2:52 am
Posts: 391
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
Tough break for Dalvin Cook. ACL injuries are no fun and hopefully he can fully recover from this 100% To think he got hurt in our place. What if he comes back and has the same injury next year. Then What?


Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3300
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: "Near Complete ACL Tear" For Dalvin Cook Reported By NFL
nightowl wrote:
Side note, I think Viking fans need to take up a collection and hire a team of of Exorsists & Shamans to remove whatever curse is hanging over this franchise. Someone must have broken the mother of all mirrors or killed someone's billy goat or something. It's ridiculous how snake-bit this franchise is.



I think Mike Zimmer and/or Rick Spielman drank Jabu's rum.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LondonViking, Svt40 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.