Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 4

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 4

Post by yezzir »

Good morning and Skol!

KICKOFF: Sunday, 1:00 p.m. ET, U.S. Bank Stadium: FOX, announcers Thom Brennaman, Chris Spielman, Peter Schrager (field reporter).

SERIES HISTORY: 112th regular-season meeting. Vikings lead, 71-38-2. However, the Lions swept the season series last year, which marked their second sweep over the Vikings in the past three years.

KEYS TO THE GAME: The Lions settled for too many field goals last week in a narrow loss against the Atlanta Falcons, and they must do a better job getting in the end zone against a Vikings team that has one of the best defenses in the NFL. That means protecting Matthew Stafford against a good Vikings pass rush and eliminating some of the foolish penalties that have hurt the team so far. Wide receiver Golden Tate had 16 catches in two games against the Vikings last year, so he could be in for a big day.

Defensively, the Lions have been great at creating turnovers - eight so far this year - but the Vikings take good care of the football with only one giveaway. Rookie running back Dalvin Cook has at least 137 yards from scrimmage in the Vikings' two wins. Whether injured quarterback Sam Bradford returns as the starter or Case Keenum makes his third straight start, the game will be won or lost based on how well the Vikings' offensive line plays. It needs to continue running the ball with authority.

The Vikings' run defense ranks third, which is the highest it's ever ranked under coach Mike Zimmer. They'll need to set the tempo early with that run defense because Detroit is running the ball better than it has in a long time, ranking 17th in the league.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

--Lions LT Greg Robinson vs. Vikings DE Everson Griffen. Robinson continues to hold down the left tackle spot while the Lions await Taylor Decker's return, but he's had his share of struggles the first three weeks. Robinson especially has issues with power moves, and in Griffen he faces an accomplished pass rusher who has four sacks in three games so far this year.

--Vikings LT Riley Reiff, vs. Lions RDE Ezekiel Ansah, who had all three of his team-high sacks against the Giants on Monday Night Football two weeks ago. Reiff, who left the Lions for Minnesota in free agency this past offseason, has been a key piece to a revamped line that has been a major upgrade through three games. Ansah has five sacks in eight games against the Vikings, including 2.5 against Teddy Bridgewater in a 17-3 win in 2014.

DETROIT LIONS

--Out: G Zac Kerin (knee), RB Dwayne Washington (quadricep)

--Questionable: DE Ezekiel Ansah (knee), S Don Carey (knee), LB Jarrad Davis (concussion, neck), WR Kenny Golladay (hamstring), C Travis Swanson (ankle), S Tavon Wilson (shoulder)

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

--Out: QB Sam Bradford (knee)

--Questionable: T Rashod Hill (knee)

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: Vikings RB Dalvin Cook: Cook was supposed to share the spotlight with veteran RB Latavius Murray. But Cook has been too good to sit, while Murray remains behind the curve after missing most of training camp because of offseason ankle surgery. Cook had 169 yards from scrimmage in the rout of Tampa Bay. His 72 receiving yards marked a season-high, not to mention a total that his predecessor, Adrian Peterson, has exceeded only two times in 11 seasons.

FAST FACTS: Lions QB Matthew Stafford has thrown at least two touchdown passes in six of his past seven road games against NFC North opponents. He will try to make it seven-for-eight on Sunday. ... Vikings WR Stefon Diggs is coming off his third career multiple-touchdown performance. Diggs hauled in two touchdown passes last week against Tampa Bay. ... Lions DE Ezekiel Ansah is aiming to record a sack in his fourth consecutive road game. Ansah has 4 1/2 sacks and two forced fumbles in his past six games. ... Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph has a touchdown catch in each of his past three home games against Detroit.

PREDICTION: The Lions will channel their frustrations from last week's loss and turn them into a positive this weekend. Look for Stafford to lead his teammates to an important early-season conference victory.

OUR PICK: Lions, 28-24.

www.upi.com
--Tom Musick
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 4

Post by yezzir »

My prediction: Vikes 27, Lions 26
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hill is out today for the Vikings. Sirles is the next guy up if needed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lions stud LB Davis out again. Good news for Dalvin.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Think we will be disappointed today, Lions 20-Vikes 17. I think we play a good game, but the Lion are tougher. I dont fully trust our D yet.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Think we will be disappointed today, Lions 20-Vikes 17. I think we play a good game, but the Lion are tougher. I dont fully trust our D yet.
Makes sense. I expected a loss and week 2 Case and we got week 1 Sam. So my expectations are higher and I'm sure they'll make me sad.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Nice play Hunter!
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Nice play Hunter!
Lion Hunter
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Alright Keenum, throw it between em
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Vikings will win this game. You can see them dominating the line on both sides of the ball.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Our punter SUCKS. Wonder why ST cant get it together this year.
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Look at the Locke guy punt.
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Who the hell is Bell?
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

mossbutt wrote:Who the hell is Bell?
Right?
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

OK, that was a nice Coleman coffin corner punt.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."