View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 546
Post The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Last week, Adrian Peterson rushed 6 times for 18 yards against the Vikings, and spent part of his time yelling at head coach Sean Payton on the sideline while Vikings running back Dalvin Cook rushed for 127 yards and broke Peterson's rookie running back 1st game rushing record for a Vikings payer. Making matters worse, Peterson, who signed with one of the NFL's most pass-happy teams with a crowded backfield, told reporters on Thursday "I didn't sign up for 9 snaps."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ine-snaps/

Is anyone else enjoying this?


Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I mean, not really. Its not like he screwed us or anything. I am a huge AP detractor insofar as his remaining playing skill and dont really like him as a person but its pretty uncomfortable watching him come to terms with his new physical reality.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
This is a tough one.

On one hand, AP is one of my favorite all-time Vikings. I've never seen anything like his games against Chicago and San Diego during his rookie year, nor have I seen a second half like he had in 2012. None of us have, and we many never see anything like it again. He's given us a ton of thrills.

On the other hand, he managed to blame the Vikings for "mistreating" him during 2014, even though they continued paying his salary up until his suspension (around $10 million) after he had beaten his child. He then turned that phony "slight" into a contract extension, which netted us one year of play for two years of pay.

Do I WANT to see him bury himself? No.

Am I SUPRISED he's burying himself? No.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3300
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Virtually every NFL player has good and bad, they are human after all.

TBH, I'm kind of enjoying the implosion. I loved what he did for us during most of his career, but the Zimmer era of his time with Vikings has been quite frustrating. '14 was ridiculous. '15 was good, '16 was a disaster. Watching Cook in pass protection on Monday really sealed the deal for me as it demonstrated just how 1-dimensional Petersen's game was/is. However, in AP's defense, I think part of AP's issues are a result of Vikings mis-management. They allowed him to be a one trick pony, to a point of basically catering to it. Echoes of Randy Moss abound...

So really, the implosion is probably most enjoyable since it is happening to someone else.

IMO, AP should have read the tea leaves last season and considered retirement, leaving the NFL with his reputation mostly intact. He showed he could lead the league in rushing despite his advanced age in 2015 and essentially recovered from the child abuse mess. He's been a solid RB in the NFL well after his "sell by" date. Take the positives and run #28. Instead it now looks like AP will be in the media with his negatives, but without the superhuman performances to offset the bad press. Hopefully someone advises him to shut up.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Last edited by mansquatch on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2747
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
This story is so overblown.

Video of interview

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I have a feeling he might end up in Arizona and put up respectable numbers in a truncated year.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm
Profile
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Yeah ... the line is a bit out of context.

Of course he didn't go with the intention of only getting 9 carries a game.

He should have expected it though. You're splitting carries in a pass heavy offense.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:52 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
mansquatch wrote:
Virtually every NFL player has good and bad, they are human after all.

TBH, I'm kind of enjoying the implosion. I loved what he did for us during most of his career, but the Zimmer era of his time with Vikings has been quite frustrating. '14 was ridiculous. '15 was good, '16 was a disaster. Watching Cook in pass protection on Monday really sealed the deal for me as it demonstrated just how 1-dimensional Petersen's game was/is. However, in AP's defense, I think part of AP's issues are a result of Vikings mis-management. They allowed him to be a one trick pony, to a point of basically catering to it. Echoes of Randy Moss abound...

So really, the implosion is probably most enjoyable since it is happening to someone else.

IMO, AP should have read the tea leaves last season and considered retirement, leaving the NFL with his reputation mostly intact. He showed he could lead the league in rushing despite his advanced age in 2015 and essentially recovered from the child abuse mess. He's been a solid RB in the NFL well after his "sell by" date. Take the positives and run #28. Instead it now looks like AP will be in the media with his negatives, but without the superhuman performances to offset the bad press. Hopefully someone advises him to shut up.


Great write up I agree 100%

_________________
Image


Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10703
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I was a little bummed the fans booed him on his first carry. Not all, but most. Now that we're done playing him, I hope he has a great season.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
First, Moss was not a one trick pony.
Second, AD can still thrive in the right system. Him signing with NO made zero sense when it happened, and it makes even less sense now.
Third, I don't know that there has ever been a player who's quotes are taken out of context more than AD. It's unreal that people get paid for taking a few words from an interview and making a story about them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
This how I see it....

On the right team like Dallas with a great line
A.P. Could probably throw up a few big games.

On any other kinda team I don't think he would
anything very special. Age has caught up with him.

A.P. As well as many other greats have a great
deal of trouble accepting that. New Orleans
is not a great fit for A.P. At all. I wouldn't be
surprised to see him cut from the Saints.
Maybe an injury gives him his last days in the
sun or a suspension?

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I was looking forward to seeing AD play this year (not for the Saints though, cant stand them its hard to cheer for them), on the other hand AD is older, and on one of the worst teams to play RB, with 2 above you. He should have tried to get on a team with a bad rushing game (other then the Vikings had at that point) and literally turn the team around.


Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile
Waterboy

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 am
Posts: 1
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
IMHO AP killed his self because he would not embrace all of the duties a running back needs to preform like blocking and catching out of the backfield. Why I do not know because he could have been the best running back of all time.


Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.


Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
IrishViking wrote:
say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.

Climbing? To 3.6 yards per carry against Carolina and 78 total yards for the season?

Impressive.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
It's not like he wasn't one of the greatest RB's of all time but
I don't think he is anywhere close to 2012 A.P.

Historically running backs fall of a cliff at his age
in performance.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.

Climbing? To 3.6 yards per carry against Carolina and 78 total yards for the season?

Impressive.



Again, say what you want but in 3 weeks if he is at 18 carries and 4.4 yards a carry...


Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:42 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
IrishViking wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.

Climbing? To 3.6 yards per carry against Carolina and 78 total yards for the season?

Impressive.



Again, say what you want but in 3 weeks if he is at 18 carries and 4.4 yards a carry...

He won't.

I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 pm
Posts: 161
Location: The Trees
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I always enjoy it when people with ginormous egos and even bigger bank accounts come down to earth and face the inevitable.

The problem here is, that hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't be surprised if AP has a few big games left him, but he is on record saying he thinks he can play at a high level for 4-5 more years.

We'll all know it when his ego comes back to earth, because the earth will quake. It might never happen though. He will probably find someone else to blame for the waning productivity of his last years, to keep his self-image as the greatest of all time intact.

_________________
Mothman wrote:
... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.


Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?



Idk, I am just saying that he's trending the right way. I don't like they guy, I was saying he was done this board with data months before anyone else did but he is certainly not imploding. He his plugging away and if he keeps at it he will probably end up somewhere that will give him more carries. All I am saying.


Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6556
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
IrishViking wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?



Idk, I am just saying that he's trending the right way. I don't like they guy, I was saying he was done this board with data months before anyone else did but he is certainly not imploding. He his plugging away and if he keeps at it he will probably end up somewhere that will give him more carries. All I am saying.

Oh, I totally agree that the self-implosion comments are wrong. AP can still play. He's got to be in the right situation and the right offense. To me, the ideal situation would be with the Giants. They need a workhorse.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23673
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?



Idk, I am just saying that he's trending the right way. I don't like they guy, I was saying he was done this board with data months before anyone else did but he is certainly not imploding. He his plugging away and if he keeps at it he will probably end up somewhere that will give him more carries. All I am saying.

Oh, I totally agree that the self-implosion comments are wrong. AP can still play. He's got to be in the right situation and the right offense. To me, the ideal situation would be with the Giants. They need a workhorse.


Giants would be good. So would Arizona. Though that would get messy once David Johnson returned.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 am
Profile
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
I'm not sure what either side of the deal between NO and Peterson saw - other than Peterson seeing some money, of course.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Cliff wrote:
I'm not sure what either side of the deal between NO and Peterson saw - other than Peterson seeing some money, of course.
That's what I said at the beginning. It made no sense for him to sign there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Cliff wrote:
I'm not sure what either side of the deal between NO and Peterson saw - other than Peterson seeing some money, of course.
That's what I said at the beginning. It made no sense for him to sign there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk



Week 1 vs the Vikings...


Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5616
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
To me, AD is similar in some ways to Moss. Both had blemishes coming out of college that caused them to drop to the Vikings when both should have been top-3 selections in their respective draft years, both hit the ground running and had huge impacts as rookies and created a lot of immediate excitement and buzz, and both also had sizable egos that eventually rubbed enough people the wrong way that a parting with the organization became almost inevitable. Both also then went to teams that weren't great fits. In Moss's case, he found his way to the Patriots and some more glory, while in AD's case the final stanza of his career has yet to be written. For all we know he could follow a similar track and make it to a good team that can use his talents in a way that benefits both.

Moss, for what it's worth, seems to have bonded and identifies with the Vikings, and the fans for the most part seem to return that sentiment for him. I was a little surprised that the fans booed AD on his first carry, but honestly I could have seen the same thing happening to Moss had Oakland come to play their next game against Minnesota after that trade. Moss had been pretty unhappy and pretty vocal about his unhappiness prior to that as well.

We'll see what happens with AD and whether sentiment or resentment becomes the dominant emotion in a few years for both AD and the Vikings. I honestly think shipping AD was a good move for the Vikings. He was falling off and could no longer be the focal point of the offense, so as far as results go his presence was hurting the Vikings more than helping them. But I think in a few more years, when everyone involved has some perspective on things, AD's number and name will be on that Ring of Honor next to Randy's.


Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
VikingLord wrote:
To me, AD is similar in some ways to Moss. Both had blemishes coming out of college that caused them to drop to the Vikings when both should have been top-3 selections in their respective draft years, both hit the ground running and had huge impacts as rookies and created a lot of immediate excitement and buzz, and both also had sizable egos that eventually rubbed enough people the wrong way that a parting with the organization became almost inevitable. Both also then went to teams that weren't great fits. In Moss's case, he found his way to the Patriots and some more glory, while in AD's case the final stanza of his career has yet to be written. For all we know he could follow a similar track and make it to a good team that can use his talents in a way that benefits both.

Moss, for what it's worth, seems to have bonded and identifies with the Vikings, and the fans for the most part seem to return that sentiment for him. I was a little surprised that the fans booed AD on his first carry, but honestly I could have seen the same thing happening to Moss had Oakland come to play their next game against Minnesota after that trade. Moss had been pretty unhappy and pretty vocal about his unhappiness prior to that as well.

We'll see what happens with AD and whether sentiment or resentment becomes the dominant emotion in a few years for both AD and the Vikings. I honestly think shipping AD was a good move for the Vikings. He was falling off and could no longer be the focal point of the offense, so as far as results go his presence was hurting the Vikings more than helping them. But I think in a few more years, when everyone involved has some perspective on things, AD's number and name will be on that Ring of Honor next to Randy's.


Couldnt disagree more. NO WAY would the fans have booed Moss had he played against us with Oak. No way. AD is the one who blames everything bad that happened to him on MN, he certainly couldnt be blamed, hes a god (at least in his own mind). Everything going on in NO is their fault too not his.


Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm
Posts: 929
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Shouldn't this be under NFL talk? anyways I'm going to give my two cents on this once and be done. I read this title thinking I'm going to hear story on how a.p went crazy and killed a bunch of his family over night however its just all about one of the great Vikings of all time struggling with getting old and losing his skill. Like just change the title to " I told you so" and keep rubbing the salt in the wound. Yeah he feel off your right, but the people who actual enjoyed watching him as a Viking player might find it a bit disrespectful that we have to gossip and talk about one of our greats when its apparent to see. He was the only consistent player we have ever had since I started watching the Vikings, I liked cook but I see lots of great rookie run backs drop off into nothing, if he can be productive as a.p over 8 years we will see. If he played his whole career for lets say the packers, I grantee he has two rings. I will never blame a.p for being one dimensional, tones of teams could of took what he had and made it work. This reminds my of the Ponder quarter back rating thread, it gets updated after every game, however this one has nothing to do with the Vikings, mods? lol. Like where was the thread for the mass bird killing #### who did nothing for the bears when he left us, did we have a forum saying I told you so to him?

_________________
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson


Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7974
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
allday1991 wrote:
Shouldn't this be under NFL talk? anyways I'm going to give my two cents on this once and be done. I read this title thinking I'm going to hear story on how a.p went crazy and killed a bunch of his family over night however its just all about one of the great Vikings of all time struggling with getting old and losing his skill. Like just change the title to " I told you so" and keep rubbing the salt in the wound. Yeah he feel off your right, but the people who actual enjoyed watching him as a Viking player might find it a bit disrespectful that we have to gossip and talk about one of our greats when its apparent to see. He was the only consistent player we have ever had since I started watching the Vikings, I liked cook but I see lots of great rookie run backs drop off into nothing, if he can be productive as a.p over 8 years we will see. If he played his whole career for lets say the packers, I grantee he has two rings. I will never blame a.p for being one dimensional, tones of teams could of took what he had and made it work. This reminds my of the Ponder quarter back rating thread, it gets updated after every game, however this one has nothing to do with the Vikings, mods? lol. Like where was the thread for the mass bird killing #### who did nothing for the bears when he left us, did we have a forum saying I told you so to him?


What and who in the world are you talking to?


Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:35 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm
Posts: 59
Post Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues
Peterson fumbled thrice in the biggest game of his life and costed his team when it counted. So he had little ground to be offended at anything the team did as a result of his child abuse.


Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:57 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dames and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.