Week 4: Detroit Lions VS Minnesota Vikings discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 4: Detroit Lions VS Minnesota Vikings discussion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

We have two extremely good WRs. I think it's tough for Treadwell right now because when you have two guys putting up crazy numbers, it's tough for a #3 to make an impact. Remember when we kept trying to not "waste" picks on early round WRs and signed guys like Michael Jenkins and Jerome Simpson? And they were awful. Then we finally draft a highly touted WR in the first round and a 5th round pick and UDFA light the league on fire :lol: Just our luck!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Let's put it this way, out of any team in the north, we're the most balanced offensively. And we have the best defense. It's hard to deny any of that.

There are 2 awful run offenses in GB and Det. But both have good passing offenses. One good run offense but a horrid passing game. I think it's obvious we're the most balanced. Then defense isn't even a question. Our defense is light years above anyone else in the north
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:We have two extremely good WRs. I think it's tough for Treadwell right now because when you have two guys putting up crazy numbers, it's tough for a #3 to make an impact. Remember when we kept trying to not "waste" picks on early round WRs and signed guys like Michael Jenkins and Jerome Simpson? And they were awful. Then we finally draft a highly touted WR in the first round and a 5th round pick and UDFA light the league on fire :lol: Just our luck!
Once upon a time the Vikings had a pretty good trio at WR. One is a hall of famer, one is soon to be, and one was kind of the odd man out but very dangerous. I think they called themselves 3 Deep.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:We have two extremely good WRs. I think it's tough for Treadwell right now because when you have two guys putting up crazy numbers, it's tough for a #3 to make an impact. Remember when we kept trying to not "waste" picks on early round WRs and signed guys like Michael Jenkins and Jerome Simpson? And they were awful. Then we finally draft a highly touted WR in the first round and a 5th round pick and UDFA light the league on fire :lol: Just our luck!
Funny thing is, more than any other position it seems, first-round WRs are a crapshoot. Since 2000, there have been 73 WRs selected in the first round, and easily less than half of them have panned out. Occasionally you have a good year like 2014, where all five first-rounders have become stars or highly productive players. But in most years, you end up with two Kevin Whites or Darrius Heyward-Beys for every Amari Cooper or Julio Jones. 2007 is a great example. The first receiver chosen was Calvin Johnson. Not bad. But then there were 5 others taken in the first -- Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez. Only one of those other players (Bowe) had anything close to a Pro Bowl season. Ginn is the only one still in the league.

So ... what does all this have to do with the Lions and Week 4? Probably nothing, other than the fact that both Detroit (Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams) and Minnesota (Troy Williamson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Laquon Treadwell?) have been among the biggest offenders of drafting bust WRs in the first round. Don't you just love how random these threads can get?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Contributing to that team-wide success, the Minnesota Vikings didn’t miss a single tackle against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Everson Griffen, Harrison Smith and Trae Waynes have not missed a tackle all year.
Vikings Lead League With Fewest Missed Tackles, Key to Beating Detroit
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Funny thing is, more than any other position it seems, first-round WRs are a crapshoot. Since 2000, there have been 73 WRs selected in the first round, and easily less than half of them have panned out. Occasionally you have a good year like 2014, where all five first-rounders have become stars or highly productive players. But in most years, you end up with two Kevin Whites or Darrius Heyward-Beys for every Amari Cooper or Julio Jones. 2007 is a great example. The first receiver chosen was Calvin Johnson. Not bad. But then there were 5 others taken in the first -- Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Craig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez. Only one of those other players (Bowe) had anything close to a Pro Bowl season. Ginn is the only one still in the league.

So ... what does all this have to do with the Lions and Week 4? Probably nothing, other than the fact that both Detroit (Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams) and Minnesota (Troy Williamson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Laquon Treadwell?) have been among the biggest offenders of drafting bust WRs in the first round. Don't you just love how random these threads can get?
“According to our most recent statistics that we drew on the first round, it’s less than 60 percent of those players that are starting,” Dimitroff said. “I think it may have come in at 56 percent.
The first round of the draft remains a total crapshoot
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -receivers

What's sparked the rise of productive late-round wide receivers?
Still, fast starts by the likes of Thielen and Diggs and the ascension of Brown, Seattle's Doug Baldwin (undrafted in 2011) and others into difference-makers echoes the thrust of Rodgers' question: How do some future star receivers slip in the draft, even as NFL teams are spreading out and throwing the ball more than ever in recent years?

I asked a handful of NFL executives and scouts I trust about it this week. And while everything in the draft is case-by-case, the most common answer from a macro perspective was supply and demand.
There are some historical trends in the type of receivers that get pushed down (shorter guys, small-school players, etc.), but it's often about specific flags on the player.

Coming out of Central Michigan, Brown was a slender 5-foot-10 and ran a disappointing 4.47 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine. "Hard sell when [you] have 80 guys bigger and faster," one scout said.

People at Maryland "killed" Diggs, one former GM recalls, telling scouts his big freshman year went to his head. Or, as Vikings coach Mike Zimmer put it to me this week: "He had a reputation that was not real good."