Teddy Bridgewater 2017 season activation scenarios

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Re: Teddy Bridgewater 2017 season activation scenarios

Post by Tavern_Wino »

autobon7 wrote: Welcome wino.....I agree that if Teddy can fully recover it would be a nice problem to have......and lets not forget we have Keenum who has starting experience and has looked decent in pre-season.
Thank you for the welcome. I like the addition of Case Keenum to the roster. He feels like a more competent fit to the offense than Hill did as a backup for some reason. I don't know why that is though. Haha. Shaun Hill being the journeymen that he was would appear to be the better solution on paper, but I feel Case is the better solution on the field. And, I agree with your sentiment about Keenum looking decent. Surprisingly he has looked composed behind such a suspect offensive line. 1st and 2nd stringers.
Boomer Sooner
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Darren Wolfson today, the Vikes would activate Teddy today if they could. He's that far ahead of schedule. He'll be practicing week 7.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

dead_poet wrote:Per Darren Wolfson today, the Vikes would activate Teddy today if they could. He's that far ahead of schedule. He'll be practicing week 7.

Is there more clarity there? Like they are desperate or they think he his physically ready to go but cant because of the PUP?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Plus, like I said again, I don't trust what Zimmer or anyone on the Vikings say about injury. Has Teddy been dropping back? Taking contact? Playing in game like scenarios?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IrishViking wrote:
Is there more clarity there? Like they are desperate or they think he his physically ready to go but cant because of the PUP?
Hamstrung by PUP. They're not desperate, but it sounds like they'd like him active if he could be.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Plus, like I said again, I don't trust what Zimmer or anyone on the Vikings say about injury. Has Teddy been dropping back? Taking contact? Playing in game like scenarios?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
He's been dropping back for awhile. Can't take contact or practice "game-like scenarios" because he's on the PUP. He's stepping into throws.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: Hamstrung by PUP. They're not desperate, but it sounds like they'd like him active if he could be.
I agree...I think if Vikings could, Teddy would be on the 53 man roster.
I think we got a lot of QB decisions to make this season. Most of it is dependent on Sam's health.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Dont think there is much to it. It'll be whichever QB starts game 16 and Sloter. plus either a pick up or late draft pick.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Whooaaa, wait a second...did Teddy suddenly become above average when I wasn't looking? When? Where? How? I gotta see this. Last time I saw him he couldn't even get the ball in the endzone in a playoff game at home.

Wait, I guess that is about average for a Vikings QB. :lol:

I see Teddy getting activated if and when the sky is falling on Bradford, but I'd rather see what Sloter has than see more of what I already know Teddy hasn't got. Teddy is a good backup, but other than his legs which he likely won't have anymore I don't see any advantage to him over Keenum. His deep ball is definitely worse, and we need to keep hitting on those to keep the D honest if we want to advance past game 1 in the postseason.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Martin wrote:Whooaaa, wait a second...did Teddy suddenly become above average when I wasn't looking? When? Where? How? I gotta see this. Last time I saw him he couldn't even get the ball in the endzone in a playoff game at home.

Wait, I guess that is about average for a Vikings QB. :lol:

I see Teddy getting activated if and when the sky is falling on Bradford, but I'd rather see what Sloter has than see more of what I already know Teddy hasn't got. Teddy is a good backup, but other than his legs which he likely won't have anymore I don't see any advantage to him over Keenum. His deep ball is definitely worse, and we need to keep hitting on those to keep the D honest if we want to advance past game 1 in the postseason.
When the sky is falling on Bradford?? And you're so sure about that why?? Like I said in another thread, it's Teddy's intangibles that make him a solid QB. He knows how to win, guys get behind him, he's "GUMP" and great under pressure, etc. Everyone complains about his deep ball. Mike Glennon and Brock Osweiler can both throw the ball a country mile but does that make them good QBs? No. They are actually both below average, one being horrendous. I'll take a guy that knows how to win and has the intangibles needed to play QB over a guy that can just chuck the ball a mile and everyone says "oooo and ahhhh" because of it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple Martin wrote:Whooaaa, wait a second...did Teddy suddenly become above average when I wasn't looking? When? Where? How? I gotta see this. Last time I saw him he couldn't even get the ball in the endzone in a playoff game at home.
I can't help myself. Once again. Teddy has started 28 games. There was clear progression in his game. The preseason before his injury was excellent. He's only started 28 games.

I can't recall, was that playoff game historically cold?

I can't recall, in that game did Teddy out-duel Russel Wilson?

I can't recall, did Teddy help drive the Vikings from their own 39 to the Seattle 9 in about 90 seconds?

He's started 28 games. If less than two seasons didn't represent Bradford's ceiling (or any QBs ceiling) why would that apply to Teddy? Look at his stats and progression year to year at Louisville as another example.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I still don't see how Bridgewater ever fully recovers from that injury to a point where he can get on a football field in game conditions and not think about it every time he drops back. Even if he's cleared medically to play, he'd have to have ice in his veins for the mental impact of that sort of injury not to last long after the physical aspect of it has healed.

I am impressed by his desire to return to the field, and equally impressed by the willingness of the Vikings to let this play out, but if Bridgewater ever does manage to win the starting job back and continue his career progression where he left off, well, that will be the year I bet on the Vikings winning their first Superbowl. Whatever curse Lombardi might have cast on this team will surely be shattered by that amount of resolve.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I love Teddy as a person but to be honest I would try
and deal him to Miami (or someone else) because of
the following reasons. Injury concerns ...Having two
potential starters or leaders can divide a team, quickly.
Teddy has not looked accurate in the past, especially on
the deep ball.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingLord wrote:I still don't see how Bridgewater ever fully recovers from that injury to a point where he can get on a football field in game conditions and not think about it every time he drops back. Even if he's cleared medically to play, he'd have to have ice in his veins for the mental impact of that sort of injury not to last long after the physical aspect of it has healed.

I am impressed by his desire to return to the field, and equally impressed by the willingness of the Vikings to let this play out, but if Bridgewater ever does manage to win the starting job back and continue his career progression where he left off, well, that will be the year I bet on the Vikings winning their first Superbowl. Whatever curse Lombardi might have cast on this team will surely be shattered by that amount of resolve.
The mental aspect would be really hard to get over. However, Teddy's mental toughness is one of the things lauded for. One of those "intangibles" people talk about. If he can heal physically I think he can do it mentally.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

dead_poet wrote: I can't help myself. Once again. Teddy has started 28 games. There was clear progression in his game. The preseason before his injury was excellent. He's only started 28 games.

I can't recall, was that playoff game historically cold?

I can't recall, in that game did Teddy out-duel Russel Wilson?

I can't recall, did Teddy help drive the Vikings from their own 39 to the Seattle 9 in about 90 seconds?

He's started 28 games. If less than two seasons didn't represent Bradford's ceiling (or any QBs ceiling) why would that apply to Teddy? Look at his stats and progression year to year at Louisville as another example.
Ponder has started only 36 games. He's widely regarded as being a poor QB yet he has more TDs/game than Teddy.

There was clear progression in the eyes of some, not at all clear that it was nearly enough in the eyes of many others. He never topped 14 TDs in a season. In his first year he did it in 12 games. In his 2nd year it took him 16. Where's the progress?
Then Bradford came in and got 20 in 15 games with an even worse O-line than Teddy had. Bradford as a whole is rarely considered to be any more than slightly above average.

I think it was cold for both teams, and one of those teams plays in a dome. ????

Did Teddy out-duel Wilson? In what way? Not in statistics. Not in yards. Not in first downs. Not in score. Not in Wins.

Teddy had a nice pass and a nice 2 minute drill last year. In preseason. Preseason. Pretty sure both were against backups.

I'm not sure what your point is, but if its that Teddy showed some improvement I'll grant you that. He showed some tantalizing moments and flashes of intangibles too, but they were just that, moments and flashes. My point when I jumped in here was that he is not an above average QB. That's what his tangibles have shown so far. Could he improve? Maybe. And he'd have to improve just to get to "above average".
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.