The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues

Post by jackal »

It's not like he wasn't one of the greatest RB's of all time but
I don't think he is anywhere close to 2012 A.P.

Historically running backs fall of a cliff at his age
in performance.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Climbing? To 3.6 yards per carry against Carolina and 78 total yards for the season?

Impressive.

Again, say what you want but in 3 weeks if he is at 18 carries and 4.4 yards a carry...
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IrishViking wrote:
Again, say what you want but in 3 weeks if he is at 18 carries and 4.4 yards a carry...
He won't.

I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

I always enjoy it when people with ginormous egos and even bigger bank accounts come down to earth and face the inevitable.

The problem here is, that hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't be surprised if AP has a few big games left him, but he is on record saying he thinks he can play at a high level for 4-5 more years.

We'll all know it when his ego comes back to earth, because the earth will quake. It might never happen though. He will probably find someone else to blame for the waning productivity of his last years, to keep his self-image as the greatest of all time intact.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'd say "you heard it here first," but that would be a lie. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been said by many others before.

That comment is not disrespectful to AP. It's a simple fact -- New Orleans isn't the team for him to get 18 carries because he's not a fit for that team. Sean Payton values Swiss-Army-knife guys like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara, not old-school running backs like AP who do one thing well. Peterson got 9 carries in a blowout win -- 4 of those carries came after the Saints were comfortably ahead. Do you honestly think he's ever going to get 18 carries?

Idk, I am just saying that he's trending the right way. I don't like they guy, I was saying he was done this board with data months before anyone else did but he is certainly not imploding. He his plugging away and if he keeps at it he will probably end up somewhere that will give him more carries. All I am saying.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IrishViking wrote:
Idk, I am just saying that he's trending the right way. I don't like they guy, I was saying he was done this board with data months before anyone else did but he is certainly not imploding. He his plugging away and if he keeps at it he will probably end up somewhere that will give him more carries. All I am saying.
Oh, I totally agree that the self-implosion comments are wrong. AP can still play. He's got to be in the right situation and the right offense. To me, the ideal situation would be with the Giants. They need a workhorse.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Oh, I totally agree that the self-implosion comments are wrong. AP can still play. He's got to be in the right situation and the right offense. To me, the ideal situation would be with the Giants. They need a workhorse.
Giants would be good. So would Arizona. Though that would get messy once David Johnson returned.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm not sure what either side of the deal between NO and Peterson saw - other than Peterson seeing some money, of course.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote:I'm not sure what either side of the deal between NO and Peterson saw - other than Peterson seeing some money, of course.
That's what I said at the beginning. It made no sense for him to sign there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:That's what I said at the beginning. It made no sense for him to sign there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Week 1 vs the Vikings...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

To me, AD is similar in some ways to Moss. Both had blemishes coming out of college that caused them to drop to the Vikings when both should have been top-3 selections in their respective draft years, both hit the ground running and had huge impacts as rookies and created a lot of immediate excitement and buzz, and both also had sizable egos that eventually rubbed enough people the wrong way that a parting with the organization became almost inevitable. Both also then went to teams that weren't great fits. In Moss's case, he found his way to the Patriots and some more glory, while in AD's case the final stanza of his career has yet to be written. For all we know he could follow a similar track and make it to a good team that can use his talents in a way that benefits both.

Moss, for what it's worth, seems to have bonded and identifies with the Vikings, and the fans for the most part seem to return that sentiment for him. I was a little surprised that the fans booed AD on his first carry, but honestly I could have seen the same thing happening to Moss had Oakland come to play their next game against Minnesota after that trade. Moss had been pretty unhappy and pretty vocal about his unhappiness prior to that as well.

We'll see what happens with AD and whether sentiment or resentment becomes the dominant emotion in a few years for both AD and the Vikings. I honestly think shipping AD was a good move for the Vikings. He was falling off and could no longer be the focal point of the offense, so as far as results go his presence was hurting the Vikings more than helping them. But I think in a few more years, when everyone involved has some perspective on things, AD's number and name will be on that Ring of Honor next to Randy's.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingLord wrote:To me, AD is similar in some ways to Moss. Both had blemishes coming out of college that caused them to drop to the Vikings when both should have been top-3 selections in their respective draft years, both hit the ground running and had huge impacts as rookies and created a lot of immediate excitement and buzz, and both also had sizable egos that eventually rubbed enough people the wrong way that a parting with the organization became almost inevitable. Both also then went to teams that weren't great fits. In Moss's case, he found his way to the Patriots and some more glory, while in AD's case the final stanza of his career has yet to be written. For all we know he could follow a similar track and make it to a good team that can use his talents in a way that benefits both.

Moss, for what it's worth, seems to have bonded and identifies with the Vikings, and the fans for the most part seem to return that sentiment for him. I was a little surprised that the fans booed AD on his first carry, but honestly I could have seen the same thing happening to Moss had Oakland come to play their next game against Minnesota after that trade. Moss had been pretty unhappy and pretty vocal about his unhappiness prior to that as well.

We'll see what happens with AD and whether sentiment or resentment becomes the dominant emotion in a few years for both AD and the Vikings. I honestly think shipping AD was a good move for the Vikings. He was falling off and could no longer be the focal point of the offense, so as far as results go his presence was hurting the Vikings more than helping them. But I think in a few more years, when everyone involved has some perspective on things, AD's number and name will be on that Ring of Honor next to Randy's.
Couldnt disagree more. NO WAY would the fans have booed Moss had he played against us with Oak. No way. AD is the one who blames everything bad that happened to him on MN, he certainly couldnt be blamed, hes a god (at least in his own mind). Everything going on in NO is their fault too not his.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Shouldn't this be under NFL talk? anyways I'm going to give my two cents on this once and be done. I read this title thinking I'm going to hear story on how a.p went crazy and killed a bunch of his family over night however its just all about one of the great Vikings of all time struggling with getting old and losing his skill. Like just change the title to " I told you so" and keep rubbing the salt in the wound. Yeah he feel off your right, but the people who actual enjoyed watching him as a Viking player might find it a bit disrespectful that we have to gossip and talk about one of our greats when its apparent to see. He was the only consistent player we have ever had since I started watching the Vikings, I liked cook but I see lots of great rookie run backs drop off into nothing, if he can be productive as a.p over 8 years we will see. If he played his whole career for lets say the packers, I grantee he has two rings. I will never blame a.p for being one dimensional, tones of teams could of took what he had and made it work. This reminds my of the Ponder quarter back rating thread, it gets updated after every game, however this one has nothing to do with the Vikings, mods? lol. Like where was the thread for the mass bird killing #### who did nothing for the bears when he left us, did we have a forum saying I told you so to him?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

allday1991 wrote:Shouldn't this be under NFL talk? anyways I'm going to give my two cents on this once and be done. I read this title thinking I'm going to hear story on how a.p went crazy and killed a bunch of his family over night however its just all about one of the great Vikings of all time struggling with getting old and losing his skill. Like just change the title to " I told you so" and keep rubbing the salt in the wound. Yeah he feel off your right, but the people who actual enjoyed watching him as a Viking player might find it a bit disrespectful that we have to gossip and talk about one of our greats when its apparent to see. He was the only consistent player we have ever had since I started watching the Vikings, I liked cook but I see lots of great rookie run backs drop off into nothing, if he can be productive as a.p over 8 years we will see. If he played his whole career for lets say the packers, I grantee he has two rings. I will never blame a.p for being one dimensional, tones of teams could of took what he had and made it work. This reminds my of the Ponder quarter back rating thread, it gets updated after every game, however this one has nothing to do with the Vikings, mods? lol. Like where was the thread for the mass bird killing #### who did nothing for the bears when he left us, did we have a forum saying I told you so to him?
What and who in the world are you talking to?
Iron Lion
Backup

Post by Iron Lion »

Peterson fumbled thrice in the biggest game of his life and costed his team when it counted. So he had little ground to be offended at anything the team did as a result of his child abuse.