Week 3 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 pm

For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.

Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Reiff, Case, Shurmer, Zimmer. All stars.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by Nunin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 pm

i can't vouche for Tampa's front 7. From the look of things the Vikes line is making strides. Detroit's D is looking fairly solid and should be another good test for this unit.
Props to Forbath for not missing a kick today.
0 x

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8359
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm

dead_poet wrote:For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.

Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Reiff, Case, Shurmer, Zimmer. All stars.
I would also add Keenum to this list. Much more poised, decent arm, decent accuracy. Now that we know (at least I would think so) that Keenum is our QB next week, i think can get us the win. Keenum really needs the first team reps to be ready for the game. Plus it might help Sam's injury heal faster. :)
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I would also add Keenum to this list. Much more poised, decent arm, decent accuracy. Now that we know (at least I would think so) that Keenum is our QB next week, i think can get us the win. Keenum really needs the first team reps to be ready for the game. Plus it might help Sam's injury heal faster. :)
You'll see Keenum nestled next to Reiff up there :tongue:
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8359
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Ahh there he is. Should have known you would have mentioned him.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 pm

This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

Waynes still allowed every reception in his coverage save for the good (under thrown but still good) interception. I don't know, man. He's infuriating.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8359
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

dead_poet wrote:This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

Waynes still allowed every reception in his coverage save for the good (under thrown but still good) interception. I don't know, man. He's infuriating.
I agree. Hes one of the most frustrating players we have had recently, I dont see why people think he's a good corner. Yeah, hes average, but I think his tackling and run support are better then his coverage skills. I didnt like him, nor Alexander being picked. I think there were a ton of other options there. but whats done is done.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5309
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. Hes one of the most frustrating players we have had recently, I dont see why people think he's a good corner. Yeah, hes average, but I think his tackling and run support are better then his coverage skills. I didnt like him, nor Alexander being picked. I think there were a ton of other options there. but whats done is done.
I mean Alexander was the number one CB in football that year. So idk why you wouldn't like that pick. I don't think anyone is saying Waynes is "good" but I don't believe he's bad either.

No less you haven't even seen enough of Alexander to judge
0 x
Image

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11256
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by S197 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Was Berger injured or benched? Either way, line looked better but to be fair it was against a injury plagued defense. In any case, great to get a win when your QB is down.

All three phases played well and the team was disciplined. They'll need the same to have a shot at Detroit.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18394
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

dead_poet wrote:This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

Waynes still allowed every reception in his coverage save for the good (under thrown but still good) interception. I don't know, man. He's infuriating.
What I see with him is he is not aggressive enough on the line and in his coverage when received make cuts. I would like to see him bump a few WRs. He doesn't seem to anticipate cuts like Rhodes does, which would be fine if he was able to recover faster.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm

S197 wrote:Was Berger injured or benched? Either way, line looked better but to be fair it was against a injury plagued defense. In any case, great to get a win when your QB is down.

All three phases played well and the team was disciplined. They'll need the same to have a shot at Detroit.
Injured for a few plays then returned.

Detroit looks tough. They're going to be playing angry after how they lost. Stafford has been really good so far this year.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
SP1966
Franchise Player
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by SP1966 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:46 pm

dead_poet wrote:For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.
For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24447
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 pm

SP1966 wrote: For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!
Good point. Weren't Spence, David and McCoy healthy-ish for most of the game though?
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 pm

SP1966 wrote: For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!

I don't really think the Saints D is that bad. They had 4 sacks, 3 INTs and 2 FF against an undefeated Panthers team today. I don't care what the circumstances are, there are no guarantee wins in the NFL.

At least they are showing they can pass protect and open holes, something they had a hard time doing last year.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:25 pm

One thing on Keenum. In his pressers last week, he acknowledged his pocket presence was poor on a few occasions. He was very good stepping up in the pocket today.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

Post Reply