View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Week 2 reaction thread 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Week 2 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
Easton ranks 68 out of 69 for PFF guards.

Wow yeah I've been a big supporter of his but he didn't look good last game

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Veteran

I would like to see Sirles play a little more at guard I think he is better inside than out at tackle.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Who is his backup?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:

here's a little perspective on PFF rankings.

Xavier Rhodes is ranked as the # 87th CB
Trey Waynes is ranked as the # 84th CB
Terrance Newman is the 33rd ranked CB
Mackensie Alexander is the 23rd ranked CB

So essentially PFF ranks Xavier rhodes as the worst CB on the team.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 pm
Career Elite Player

MrPurplenGold wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Zimmer should bench Rhodes. :lol:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm
All Pro Elite Player

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Average teams look good at home against bad teams and look bad on the road against good teams

Disagree 1000%.

I don't think you can disagree with his statement regarding 'average teams' because that is basically true. But without Bradford we really aren't even an average team - I will agree with that.

Last edited by Purple Reign on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

MrPurplenGold wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

That alone erases any credibility PFF had with me.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

VikingPaul73 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

Totally misleading because penalties don't always happen in a vacuum.

You can't just discount the PIs as silly penalties because in both cases the CB was burned and it most likely would have been a TD if not for the blatant PI.
So, if not for the penalties, Big Ben would have had 2TDs and 200 yards passing after Trae tackled the Pitt WR well before the ball got there.

The holds also weren't random. Easton was holding because he was consistently getting beaten and holding was his last resort. They weren't ticky tack calls.

I agree on some of the other penalties though...such as the illegal formation on the FG and the BRob offsides. Seriously BRob - you are a veteran and every single person watching knew they weren't going to run the play on 4th and 1 at their own 30 in the 1st qtr, they were just trying to make a fool jump. Both of these penalties were totally preventable and totally inexcusable. And the BRob penalty did continue a drive that ended in 7 points.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 pm
Career Elite Player

Purple Reign wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Average teams look good at home against bad teams and look bad on the road against good teams

Disagree 1000%.

I don't think you can disagree with his statement regarding 'average teams' because that is basically true. But without Bradford were really aren't even an average team - I will agree with that.

I don't think that's true. Any team that starts their #2 with less than a week of practice will struggle. Doesn't mean the team is average.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:52 pm
All Pro Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you can disagree with his statement regarding 'average teams' because that is basically true. But without Bradford were really aren't even an average team - I will agree with that.

I don't think that's true. Any team that starts their #2 with less than a week of practice will struggle. Doesn't mean the team is average.

Unfortunately the qb is a major part of the team, so generally how the qb plays so goes the team (at least on offense). So you think the team was 'above average' yesterday. :lol:

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 pm
Career Elite Player

Purple Reign wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately the qb is a major part of the team, so generally how the qb plays so goes the team (at least on offense). So you think the team was 'above average' yesterday. :lol:

Defense is part of the team though. The team is not below average. If Keenum was the #1 during camp and preseason, I would think the offense would have performed better. The offensive performance was below average because of their QB situation.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 pm
All Pro Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Defense is part of the team though. The team is not below average. If Keenum was the #1 during camp and preseason, I would think the offense would have performed better. The offensive performance was below average because of their QB situation.

I'm not saying the team overall for the season will be below average, but what I'm saying is that with the situation yesterday with Keenum having to fill in at the last minute made them a below average team for yesterday's game. The defense probably was about average, but definitely not the offense or special teams.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

MrPurplenGold wrote:

Rhodes open then wow lol

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple Reign wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

Totally misleading because penalties don't always happen in a vacuum.

You can't just discount the PIs as silly penalties because in both cases the CB was burned and it most likely would have been a TD if not for the blatant PI.
So, if not for the penalties, Big Ben would have had 2TDs and 200 yards passing after Trae tackled the Pitt WR well before the ball got there.

The holds also weren't random. Easton was holding because he was consistently getting beaten and holding was his last resort. They weren't ticky tack calls.

I agree on some of the other penalties though...such as the illegal formation on the FG and the BRob offsides. Seriously BRob - you are a veteran and every single person watching knew they weren't going to run the play on 4th and 1 at their own 30 in the 1st qtr, they were just trying to make a fool jump. Both of these penalties were totally preventable and totally inexcusable. And the BRob penalty did continue a drive that ended in 7 points.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

The larger point in my post was that you have to expect that a team like PIT, especially playing at home, will make plays. Defensively the only way they were able to make such plays was via our guys committing fouls. That is fixable, given that it is week 2. Also, the defense is going to make mistakes, this is the NFL, everyone is good. That is why you need your offense to balance out the defense. Our offense was awful and that is why we lost.

That loss was not on the defense. It was all about the play at QB.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 am
Commissioner

Easton cut-up:

https://twitter.com/Luke_Spinman/status ... 0502305792

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am
Commissioner

Week 2 reaction?
It's a team game!!!
Unless your starting QB goes down.
:roll:
Imagine that. No backup plan when needed.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:49 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
Week 2 reaction?
It's a team game!!!
Unless your starting QB goes down.
:roll:
Imagine that. No backup plan when needed.

So whats the other 22 teams I mentioned in the other threads plan then Demi?? Whats the almighty Packers backup plan?? Brett Hundley?? Thats laughable. Packers are dead in the water if they lose Rodgers and you know it. Look how pitiful the Colts are without Luck. Look at Arizona. They have a legit QB guru in Arians and have Palmer who's hanging on by a thread and Drew Stanton. Yes Drew Stanton. What's Tampa's backup plan behind Winston? Ryan Griffin?? The Raiders behind Carr....EJ Manuel?? The Seahawks have Austin fricken Davis for Gods sake. Does any of this register to you? No. I guess there aren't many teams with a "backup plan" huh? You've yet to enlighten us what a viable "backup plan" would look like. We have a top 10 backup now in Keenum. Apparently we the fans and this organization are missing out on the big secret you're hiding.

Either way, cleary you can't comprehend the "if there aren't 32 viable starters in the league, how can there be many viable backups" portion of this thread. It goes in one ear and out the other for you. Instead you just find more reason to complain about the same thing over and over no matter what facts anyone throws on the table in front of you. My goodness.....

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Either way, cleary you can't comprehend the "if there aren't 32 viable starters in the league, how can there be many viable backups" portion of this thread.

Gus, McNabb, Hill, Keenum, Cassel. YOU can't comprehend that there might be better Qbs available. In the draft or free agency. The proof? We've seen these bums play. But ok, you're right. These were the best options. Obviously. We both saw them play, and they were the best possible options. By far. No question. This team hasn't had a backup Qb issue in the last decade. Because *I* couldn't comprehend "blah blah blah nonsense" portion of this thread. Or EVERY backup QB portion of this entire FORUM since Spielman had control. :confused:

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:38 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote:
Quote:
Either way, cleary you can't comprehend the "if there aren't 32 viable starters in the league, how can there be many viable backups" portion of this thread.

Gus, McNabb, Hill, Keenum, Cassel. YOU can't comprehend that there might be better Qbs available. In the draft or free agency. The proof? We've seen these bums play. But ok, you're right. These were the best options. Obviously. We both saw them play, and they were the best possible options. By far. No question. This team hasn't had a backup Qb issue in the last decade. Because *I* couldn't comprehend "blah blah blah nonsense" portion of this thread. Or EVERY backup QB portion of this entire FORUM since Spielman had control. :confused:
Give examples Demi. Which Qbs would you have signed/drafted this off season?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:

Was that for the Pittsburgh game or overall?

Either way, it's a crock. Rhodes guarded Antonio Brown most of the game and held him to 3 catches (AB had 5 catches overall, but two were not against Rhodes). That's 3 catches for one of the best WRs on the planet.

Then there was the PI call. Ugh. So frustrating. Rhodes was in great position, and Brown was doing as much pushing as Rhodes was. I hate calls like that, where the CB is in position and there's hand fighting. It's not like the play where Waynes got beat and tackled his man. But ... I guess people don't pay to see great coverage, so the zebras bail out the receiver.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am
Site Admin

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Then there was the PI call. Ugh. So frustrating. Rhodes was in great position, and Brown was doing as much pushing as Rhodes was. I hate calls like that, where the CB is in position and there's hand fighting. It's not like the play where Waynes got beat and tackled his man. But ... I guess people don't pay to see great coverage, so the zebras bail out the receiver.

If I recall correctly the PI on Rhodes was because he grabbed the back of Brown's jersey to slow him down because he was beat and was about to give up a long touch down. If it wasn't PI it was something like 80 yards and a TD. Am I remembering wrong?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

If I recall correctly the PI on Rhodes was because he grabbed the back of Brown's jersey to slow him down because he was beat and was about to give up a long touch down. If it wasn't PI it was something like 80 yards and a TD. Am I remembering wrong?
That's what I remember too. The only problem I have with a cell like the is it is so inconsistently called. It seems like Thielen is held or interfered with on every play but he almost never gets the call.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
Quote:

I never said there isnt a "better" backup available but when you have one that's top 10, yeah that's pretty good. We arent just going to land the best backup year after year. That just isnt realistic. Outside of maybe Hill, the backups you list really werent that bad. So again, I dont know what you're trying to get at. Again, you provide NO alternative for Keenum. If there was a better alternative then TELL ME what it was that we supposedly missed out on!! From round 2-4 we drafted players that are either starters or a guy like Jaleel Johnson who could be our future 3 tech. From round 5-7, Peterman was the only one taken in round 5 which wouldve been a decent option. Round 6 Kaaya was the only one drafted and he was cut. Round 7 the only one was Chad Kelly which speaks for itself. So my question is, who did you really plan on having us take in those rounds?? Or should we have passed on Dalvin Cook and drafted a QB? :confused:

Either way, dont try and put words in my mouth by saying I said Keenum was the "best" option. That's not what I said but I said he was a solid option. I will say there werent many better than him though. Maybe Peterman in the draft and Ryan Fitzpatrick?? Both are up for debate but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that out of the draft and free agency, we landed the 3rd best backup QB you could land this offseason. Are you really going to sit here and complain about that??

But yeah I guess that's "blah blah blah nonense" that there are about 5-6 teams in the NFL that have starters that are terrible. Its called a fact. Not nonsense. But clearly we missed on a bunch of better QBs that you've yet to provide. Outside of the two I've given you, if you can name any that are better than Keenum, maybe I would actually listen to you but otherwise, it's just another post with zero backing or alternatives by you. You love to complain, but you seem to never have any better alternatives to whatever you're complaining about.

Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:

Give examples Demi. Which Qbs would you have signed/drafted this off season?

Exactly. No alternatives.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Gus, McNabb, Hill, Keenum, Cassel. YOU can't comprehend that there might be better Qbs available. In the draft or free agency. The proof? We've seen these bums play. But ok, you're right. These were the best options. Obviously. We both saw them play, and they were the best possible options. By far. No question. This team hasn't had a backup Qb issue in the last decade. Because *I* couldn't comprehend "blah blah blah nonsense" portion of this thread. Or EVERY backup QB portion of this entire FORUM since Spielman had control. :confused:[/quote]Give examples Demi. Which Qbs would you have signed/drafted this off season?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Exactly. No alternatives.[/quote]

Keenum was prolly the best available. Case closed.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

autobon7 wrote:
Keenum was prolly the best available. Case closed.

No pun intended :lol: But yeah I agree. At absolute worst he was top 3

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

He did get the jersey, but Rhodes wasn't beaten. He was in good position in the trail technique. They were hand-fighting the entire way, and then Rhodes got a bit of jersey up around the collar, and the flag came out. Also, Brown was never going to catch that ball IMO. It was overthrown. Not "uncatchable" by the definition, but overthrown.

I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty. I'm saying it frustrated me. Brown was doing as much pushing as Rhodes was. Rhodes just got caught with a mitt full of jersey.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm
Fenrir

In the second play, Rudolph gets put on his back, Berger gets knocked 3 yards back from the LOS, and Remmers whiffs.

Fourth play Elflein does a good job of picking up the stunt but Remmers doesn't get back far enough and ends up blocking no one.

Fifth play it looks like Berger's gap is missed as he kicks out to help Remmers leaving Jet to try and pick up the blitzes.

Not saying Easton didn't look bad but even in the cherry picked clips it looks like a problem a lot bigger than just him.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

SP1966 wrote:
Nunin wrote:
so i asked on the 'bradford knee' thread....if bradford is really hurt and looks to miss significant time.....do you sign kaepernick

Ask in all the threads, the answer will still be **** NO!

nah, i say sign him. keenum is hot garbage. at least kap is a bit more than hot garbage

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3