Bradfords knee??

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Bradfords knee??

Post by autobon7 »

[quote="PurpleKoolaid"]

For sure, I doubt he plays this week, and that means another week of Keenum, which makes me sad. Maybe the Oline will step up during this time and gel. I dont see them now as being much better then they were last year, but i think they can only get better. I dont know about the ST. I think it may be time to get a new coach.

quote]

I think calling for a new ST coach is an over reaction. He has a lot of new pieces (players) to mold. Give him a chance.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Luck? How about have a better backup QB in place when you have a starter with some pretty major injury questions? :wallbang:
Dude Case Keenum is probably a top 5-10 backup in the NFL. What do you expect? Fans think we should just have a miracle "Tom Brady type" backup behind our starter. It doesnt work that way. But since you seem to think it's so easy, instead of signing Keenum, who do we pick up this year Demi?? Ryan Fitz? Trade?? Draft?? Or say we should've drafted Garroppolo because thats the easy way out. I mean if you got the answer I would LOVE to hear it.

I will say, these guys are backups for a reason. If they were that good enough and could carry a team to a win AT PITTSBURGH, then they would be a starter somewhere. But thats not the case is it? Keenum is a "good" backup. He's fairly young, has starting experience and has beat some very good teams (Seattle x2) when he had nothing around him. I'm not really sure what you're looking for in a backup.

Let's analyze this:

**Patriots: Jimmy G- best one out there probably
Jets: Why bother?
Bills: Why bother?
**Dolphins: Moore- pretty solid

Ravens: Mallette- horrid
Browns: Why bother?
**Steelers: Jones- not bad
**Bengals: McCarron- solid

Colts: Just watch on Sundays
Texans: Savage- awful
**Jags: Henne- decent
Titans: Cassel- not at this stage of his career

Raiders: Manuel- awful
Broncos: Lynch- bust
Chargers: Clemens- awful
**Chiefs: Mahomes- future stud IMO

Giants: Geno- gross
Cowboys: Moore- gross
**Redskins: McCoy- not bad
**Eagles: Foles- not bad

**Vikings: Keenum- not bad
Lions: who knows?
Bears: why bother?
Packers: Hundley- terrible

Panthers: Anderson- eh?
Saints: Daniel- eh?
**Bucs: Fitz- solid
Falcons: Schaub- use to be good but is now terrible

49ers: why bother?
Rams: why bother?
Seahawks: Austin Davis- awful
Cards: Stanton- eh?

I starred the top 10 backups in the league with Keenum being one of them. That still leaves 22 teams with "bad" backups. So are those 22 teams saying the same thing you are Demi?? Imagine what will happen to the Seahawks if Wilson goes down. Their offense isnt good to begin with and they have the worst OL in the league. Imagine Austin Davis in there??

Either way, Demi you must know something these 22 teams dont I would guess. Because if they all have bad backups and you know where to find "good" ones, I'd love to hear it. Enlighten us....
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Good post!, until you put all the names out there, I didn't realize that there was such a lack of decent back up QB's
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Husker Vike wrote:Good post!, until you put all the names out there, I didn't realize that there was such a lack of decent back up QB's
Exactly! It just drives me nuts when fans constantly complain about our backup QBs. Its EXTREMELY tough to find a solid one no less one that can actually win you games against legit teams on the road. I think Keenum is a top 10 backup. Soon our backup could be Teddy who would be the top one out there if he's all healed. Either way, if you're going to criticize Spielman about a quality backup QB, at least provide some backing with it and have a solution. Otherwise, hold your breath and look at what the rest of the league is working with.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: A few places, none were definitive, but all mentioned 6 weeks. I figured a Viking site had said it originally.
That was actually Zimmer being grumpy in his press conference right after the loss.

When he was asked about Bradford's anticipated return by reporters, he said he didn't know. When those reporters kept asking him about Bradford, he got a little grouchy and said, "Could be next week, could be six weeks."

Of course, everybody immediately took that to mean six weeks.

Zimmer clarified yesterday and apologized for being a curmudgeon, saying Vikings fans deserve better than that. He then said Bradford is day-to-day.

I think there ought to be a 2-hour moratorium on repeating stupid questions to coaches following a loss. If you're a reporter and you repeat a question that was just asked without waiting 2 hours, a huge bouncer dude sends you to the curb on your keister.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.

it makes way more sense to me...especially if you have a decent team...to a draft a guy with legit upside rather than put a known failure at the helm of the most important position.

there's a lot being said about keenum not stepping up in the pocket....just like ponder and lots of others filed qbs who lack specific instincts for the position. it seems certain organizations lack similar instinct awareness when addressing the position in the first place.

i just don't see the point of floundering along with a known failure when there may be some unknown guy who just needs a chance.....to me that would be an organization stepping up in the pocket and pulling the trigger.

bradford and bridgewater are not looking like guys to pin the future on right now. i

i don't want kaepernick on this team....but some of the comments about not signing him were because he was not a guy to make a deep playoff run (even though he's been to a superbowl).....but case keenam is?
lol

this organization has poor football instincts IMO

and just to be clear.....i think the chances of success with a rookie or young guy who has yet to get a shot vs a retread the whole league knows are at least equal if not slightly in favor of the new guy.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I was as angry as the next guy but we were probably, one stupid penalty (robison) and a couple of plays away from it being a 16-20 loss to pitt, in pitt, with a back up QB. Thats pretty freaking good if you ask me.

That said, I am nearly in camp "fire Shumer" for that absurd double fake sweep long play.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I am going to the game this weekend. Me and my buddies will be loud at least the Vikings have that going for them if Sam doesn't play. It will be quiet on offense and loud as heck when we are on defense. If it is case I'm sure he will know by tomorrow and will be much more prepared then he was last week.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

720pete wrote:This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.
I agree.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

720pete wrote:This league doesn't even have 32 starting caliber QBs, much less any quality backups. Case Keenum is a great backup, but losing a starting QB is basically a death sentence for any team.
Are you saying that Tom Savage is not a quality starter?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

5thWave wrote:When I think "great backup QB's, I think Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Earl Morrel, and that's about it. CK was a one-hit wonder imo. Morrel was incredible, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl after filling in all year for an injured Johnny Unitas in 1968, and then replacing Unitas two years later to beat the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And that's it. Don't know what happened to the Brady kid.

They are the rarest of breeds in other words.
There have been a lot of really good backups. I honestly think Chase Keenum is one of the better backups in the NFL.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

i think it's pretty stupid and archaic to use guys that have failed as backups. there are only a select few who are actually capable of keeping your team afloat.
Which is what this team has done for the last decade. Don't worry, the old guy can teach the new guy!

Just beware...a superior talent might not stand up for the national anthem!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Keenum vs LIONS 2016 27/32 321yds 3TD 1 rushing TD
Keenum vs BUCS 2016 14/ 26 190yds 2TD

He's had success against the next two Vikings opponents. I think he just needs more practice with the starters.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014