Week 2 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by Nunin »

i know keenam had little time to prepare...but he as a body of work and is known commidity. you can't teach instincts and he seems to lack them at critical points. which is why he was available...as a backup.

i would much rather have a raw guy with good instincts and coachable flaws than some guy who just doesn't have 'IT'

the vikes are quite there yet...but if sam is screwed...don't waste any time on keenam cause he will not get you a deep playoff run. Throw Sloter out there ASAP if Sam is not the future.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

If Detroit loses tonight. That means the NFC North will be O-4 in the 2nd week. And if they lose by 10 points or more, the whole North lost by double digit this week.

Good show NFC north!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Yeah and I'm saying go watch these hurries. Many of them came way outside of the pocket because he kept going backwards
How does PFF define a hurry? If a QB misses his first open read and then has to scramble and hurry, is that considered hurried and under pressure? Not saying that Keenum did that but he did look much slower than the average starting QB.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

petev_sj wrote:If Detroit loses tonight. That means the NFC North will be O-4 in the 2nd week. And if they lose by 10 points or more, the whole North lost by double digit this week.

Good show NFC north!
That's a good thing. Whatever DET does tonight, the Vikings will either be tied for 1st or 2nd in the North.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Easton ranks 68 out of 69 for PFF guards.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Some of it is flat out getting beat, some might be on Keenum, but there are other variables as well that we really can't see. Elflein as a rookie calling out the protection is a big one. The fact that it took our coaches an entire training camp and four preseason games before they finally figured out the starters. If I'm not mistaken, Remmers is really the only guy who saw significant 1st team reps at his position. Reiff was injured, Berger played mostly C as did Elfein (but with the 2s), and obviously Boone was the primary starter at guard. So no real shocker they look poor. Hopefully they improve.

I think Priefer also needs a share of the blame. The guy who cut Kluwe to replace him with Locke who was then cut and picked up by another team, only to be cut over a UDFA. Same with Walsh, cut for a guy who missed 3 PAT's last year (only playing like half the year) and has already missed 2 in 2 games. I'm not saying Walsh or Kluwe should have been kept but I think he could have found someone better this offseason than Forbath and Quigley. And then there's Jet "take it out even with your heel 1 inch away from the back of the endzone" McKinnon. Add on a poorly executed fake punt and it's a ST mess.

But above all, those penalties were unacceptable. Line up properly and watch the damn ball instead of the QB cadence is football 101. I'm glad we were able to contain Bell and Brown but that means little when you keep shooting yourself in the foot.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I'm interested in the development of TE Blake Bell, but I didn't see the game. Was there any sighting of him on the field?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

5thWave wrote:I'm interested in the development of TE Blake Bell, but I didn't see the game. Was there any sighting of him on the field?
Something like 3 snaps for Bell.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: Something like 3 snaps for Bell.

B Bell 2 0 11 (Off, Def, ST)

Vikings snap counts vs. Steelers
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Lots of things conspired against us in the Steelers game:

1) Lost our starting QB
2) Playing away, on grass, outdoors
3) Short week after MNF game
4) Vikings wore purple pants (it's a theory of mine)
5) Too many damn penalties at really bad times
6) Bad decisions on Special Teams... McKInnon, learn to take a knee
7) Keenum is slow to read and needs to learn to use the pocket. Hard to pass when back-pedaling
8.) We weren't playing the Saints defense
9) Our pass rush was not getting to Roethlisberger.
10) The Steelers were the better team, on both sides of the ball.

On to the next game. Let's whoop Tampa Bay.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Without penalties, you can probably take 10 points a warmly from Pittsburgh. Plus the garbage time points, and the score is 13-9. Our defense played well other than the penalties.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Only Russel Wilson was pressured more often than Keenum on Sunday.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:Only Russel Wilson was pressured more often than Keenum on Sunday.
And Wilson has a good set of wheels. He can move.

Yesterday's OL performance reminds me of last year. When you are pressured constantly, I would think it would be hard to have a good game. Especially as a backup.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Easton ranks 68 out of 69 for PFF guards.
Hs had a terrible game. 2 or 3 penalties and got manhandled most of the game.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Week 2 reaction:

:violin: