Week 2 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by VikingPaul73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 am

https://www.google.com/search?biw=414&b ... 4q7Um8kBNI

I'm going to buy this and send it to Mckinnons locker :smilevike:
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18394
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am

I think the STs are hurting the team too. Losing Patterson is an enormous loss and I think the Vikings didn't properly understand what he meant to the team. Just because someone is fast doesn't mean they can return kicks. I would hope they are telling mckinnon to kneel on the damn ball from now on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

beerfan
Backup
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by beerfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 am

Who cares if Mckinnon runs the ball out and we end up starting 7 or 8 yds further back? Its worth the opportunity for a big play even if we havent had any from it yet. Ive heard too many people complaining about it just because the announcers kept bringing it up.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18394
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am

beerfan wrote:Who cares if Mckinnon runs the ball out and we end up starting 7 or 8 yds further back? Its worth the opportunity for a big play even if we havent had any from it yet. Ive heard too many people complaining about it just because the announcers kept bringing it up.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Starting all of your drives at the 10 yard line and maybe having one decent return does not justify him running everything out. They are given a free 25 yards, there is no reason for him to bring something out from 8+ deep.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6912
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:I think the STs are hurting the team too. Losing Patterson is an enormous loss and I think the Vikings didn't properly understand what he meant to the team. Just because someone is fast doesn't mean they can return kicks. I would hope they are telling mckinnon to kneel on the damn ball from now on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I think you might see that happen. After one of his returns, Zimmer was seriously hot and was yelling at a coach. Guessing it was Priefer.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5312
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 am

808vikingsfan wrote:Was Treadwell in because he and Keenum have some chemistry playing with the #2s or is he finally going to get some quality playing time?

Love the way Cook runs.

I'm not very disappointed in the loss. It would have been nice to steal a win today but at least this loss in against the AFC. I'd sit Bradford next week too. They're going to need him in weeks 4-6 (DET,CHI,GB).
Treadwell has been the #3 since day 1 of the offseason
0 x
Image

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18394
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Treadwell has been the #3 since day 1 of the offseason
Treadwell is actually really good at run blocking. I really hope he pans out for the team because we all know they need blocking help.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5312
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am

VikingPaul73 wrote:Average teams look good at home against bad teams and look bad on the road against good teams
Disagree 1000%. We went from having a fully healthy roster at home to our QB being out on the road. Did you expect us to look "good" yesterday with Keenum in?? Let me know how the Packers look without Rodgers. Or the Falcons look without Ryan. On the road no less. That does not one bit mean they are an average team. We went from a 71+% completion percentage team down to a 54% completion percentage team. That alone shows how much better Bradford is than Keenum. You cant sustain drives completing 54% of your passes. Man some of the comments I see on here at times really make me scratch my head. Especially when we lose
And seriously this could be the worst ST I've seen. Illegal formation on FG defense ?? Seriously ? How does that even happen in the NFL? And Jet , please just kneel!!! It's painful watching him take it 9 yards deep out to the 15 time and time again. Just brutal
Agreed. I was really hard on Priefer about 4-5 years ago. Then cooled down because guys like CP, Sherels and Walsh (for a short stint) made him look good. For him to sit down and watch the last game and obviously not tell Jet to start taking a knee baffles me. He's not CP. Nowhere close. Take a knee. Either way, I've always thought Priefer was overrated as a coach
And I really really hope Brock can pick up the defense quickly. Watching Trae'bust getting burned is getting old quickly
Trae'bust? Really? I'd rather not go down that road with you. Moving on.....
0 x
Image

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3458
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by mansquatch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:53 am

To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5312
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am

mansquatch wrote:To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.
Agreed well said
0 x
Image

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by halfgiz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I'm not going to put much of this game on the OL. There were so many drop backs where Keenum just kept going backwards and not stepping up into the pocket so Pitts DEs were just rushing way outside to where our tackles couldn't reach them. That should be easy if we had a QB that would step up into the pocket

Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.
0 x

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by autobon7 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

mansquatch wrote:To me this is a game that shows the importance of competitive QB play. We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

However, just like last season with the OL, the drop off between SB and Keenum was so severe that the teams margin for error ends up being close to zero.

I'm sure only having a week getting part time snaps didn't help either. Next week Keenum should be better assuming Bradford's knee continues to be an issue.

Not much more to say IMO, most of this game was just a crappy roll of the dice at the QB position. We knew PIT would score it's points and make some plays. Our defense was respectable in it's performance against an elite offense. We needed our offense to hold up it's end of the bargain to win this game and they just couldn't do it. Outside of a horseshoe like a defensive or ST score we were DOA.
Agree as well......I would like to add that some of the issues we saw yesterday is directly related to coaching such as the special teams play.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by VikingPaul73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 am

halfgiz wrote:
Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.
Excellent stats. Thanks for posting. Yes Bradford is better than Keenum and perhaps there is some truth to Keenum not stepping up properly in the pocket....but let's be honest, the OL was dominated and blown up yesterday. Yesterday brought back a lot of flashbacks from last year.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by VikingPaul73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

mansquatch wrote: We lost because of penalties more than anything else. Despite giving up 14 points in the first half, we held Big Ben to something like 87 yards of passing in that half. Get rid of the penalties and we are in that game.

Totally misleading because penalties don't always happen in a vacuum.

You can't just discount the PIs as silly penalties because in both cases the CB was burned and it most likely would have been a TD if not for the blatant PI.
So, if not for the penalties, Big Ben would have had 2TDs and 200 yards passing after Trae tackled the Pitt WR well before the ball got there.

The holds also weren't random. Easton was holding because he was consistently getting beaten and holding was his last resort. They weren't ticky tack calls.

I agree on some of the other penalties though...such as the illegal formation on the FG and the BRob offsides. Seriously BRob - you are a veteran and every single person watching knew they weren't going to run the play on 4th and 1 at their own 30 in the 1st qtr, they were just trying to make a fool jump. Both of these penalties were totally preventable and totally inexcusable. And the BRob penalty did continue a drive that ended in 7 points.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5312
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 2 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 am

halfgiz wrote:
Arif Hasan
@ArifHasanNFL
2h
Replying to @PFF
Reiff allowed four hurries, Remmers allowed four hurries and a sack, Easton allowed a hurry and two hits, Berger 2 hurries, Elflein 1 hurry

Case Keenum had 46% of his dropbacks come under pressure, according to @PFF - and had a QB rating of 46.9 on them. QB rating of 80.7 with clean pocket.

Also I have problem in the beginning of the game...We was playing to survive not to win.
Once they opened things up we started moving the ball.

Yeah and I'm saying go watch these hurries. Many of them came way outside of the pocket because he kept going backwards
0 x
Image

Post Reply