The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues

Post by 720pete »

Last week, Adrian Peterson rushed 6 times for 18 yards against the Vikings, and spent part of his time yelling at head coach Sean Payton on the sideline while Vikings running back Dalvin Cook rushed for 127 yards and broke Peterson's rookie running back 1st game rushing record for a Vikings payer. Making matters worse, Peterson, who signed with one of the NFL's most pass-happy teams with a crowded backfield, told reporters on Thursday "I didn't sign up for 9 snaps."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ine-snaps/

Is anyone else enjoying this?
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: The Adrian Peterson self implosion continues

Post by IrishViking »

I mean, not really. Its not like he screwed us or anything. I am a huge AP detractor insofar as his remaining playing skill and dont really like him as a person but its pretty uncomfortable watching him come to terms with his new physical reality.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This is a tough one.

On one hand, AP is one of my favorite all-time Vikings. I've never seen anything like his games against Chicago and San Diego during his rookie year, nor have I seen a second half like he had in 2012. None of us have, and we many never see anything like it again. He's given us a ton of thrills.

On the other hand, he managed to blame the Vikings for "mistreating" him during 2014, even though they continued paying his salary up until his suspension (around $10 million) after he had beaten his child. He then turned that phony "slight" into a contract extension, which netted us one year of play for two years of pay.

Do I WANT to see him bury himself? No.

Am I SUPRISED he's burying himself? No.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Virtually every NFL player has good and bad, they are human after all.

TBH, I'm kind of enjoying the implosion. I loved what he did for us during most of his career, but the Zimmer era of his time with Vikings has been quite frustrating. '14 was ridiculous. '15 was good, '16 was a disaster. Watching Cook in pass protection on Monday really sealed the deal for me as it demonstrated just how 1-dimensional Petersen's game was/is. However, in AP's defense, I think part of AP's issues are a result of Vikings mis-management. They allowed him to be a one trick pony, to a point of basically catering to it. Echoes of Randy Moss abound...

So really, the implosion is probably most enjoyable since it is happening to someone else.

IMO, AP should have read the tea leaves last season and considered retirement, leaving the NFL with his reputation mostly intact. He showed he could lead the league in rushing despite his advanced age in 2015 and essentially recovered from the child abuse mess. He's been a solid RB in the NFL well after his "sell by" date. Take the positives and run #28. Instead it now looks like AP will be in the media with his negatives, but without the superhuman performances to offset the bad press. Hopefully someone advises him to shut up.
Last edited by mansquatch on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

This story is so overblown.

Video of interview
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I have a feeling he might end up in Arizona and put up respectable numbers in a truncated year.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Yeah ... the line is a bit out of context.

Of course he didn't go with the intention of only getting 9 carries a game.

He should have expected it though. You're splitting carries in a pass heavy offense.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:Virtually every NFL player has good and bad, they are human after all.

TBH, I'm kind of enjoying the implosion. I loved what he did for us during most of his career, but the Zimmer era of his time with Vikings has been quite frustrating. '14 was ridiculous. '15 was good, '16 was a disaster. Watching Cook in pass protection on Monday really sealed the deal for me as it demonstrated just how 1-dimensional Petersen's game was/is. However, in AP's defense, I think part of AP's issues are a result of Vikings mis-management. They allowed him to be a one trick pony, to a point of basically catering to it. Echoes of Randy Moss abound...

So really, the implosion is probably most enjoyable since it is happening to someone else.

IMO, AP should have read the tea leaves last season and considered retirement, leaving the NFL with his reputation mostly intact. He showed he could lead the league in rushing despite his advanced age in 2015 and essentially recovered from the child abuse mess. He's been a solid RB in the NFL well after his "sell by" date. Take the positives and run #28. Instead it now looks like AP will be in the media with his negatives, but without the superhuman performances to offset the bad press. Hopefully someone advises him to shut up.
Great write up I agree 100%
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I was a little bummed the fans booed him on his first carry. Not all, but most. Now that we're done playing him, I hope he has a great season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

First, Moss was not a one trick pony.
Second, AD can still thrive in the right system. Him signing with NO made zero sense when it happened, and it makes even less sense now.
Third, I don't know that there has ever been a player who's quotes are taken out of context more than AD. It's unreal that people get paid for taking a few words from an interview and making a story about them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This how I see it....

On the right team like Dallas with a great line
A.P. Could probably throw up a few big games.

On any other kinda team I don't think he would
anything very special. Age has caught up with him.

A.P. As well as many other greats have a great
deal of trouble accepting that. New Orleans
is not a great fit for A.P. At all. I wouldn't be
surprised to see him cut from the Saints.
Maybe an injury gives him his last days in the
sun or a suspension?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I was looking forward to seeing AD play this year (not for the Saints though, cant stand them its hard to cheer for them), on the other hand AD is older, and on one of the worst teams to play RB, with 2 above you. He should have tried to get on a team with a bad rushing game (other then the Vikings had at that point) and literally turn the team around.
toledoviking
Waterboy

Post by toledoviking »

IMHO AP killed his self because he would not embrace all of the duties a running back needs to preform like blocking and catching out of the backfield. Why I do not know because he could have been the best running back of all time.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IrishViking wrote:say what you will about him but his carries and YPC have been climbing every game.
Climbing? To 3.6 yards per carry against Carolina and 78 total yards for the season?

Impressive.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.