Week 1 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by mansquatch »

In terms of judging performance: No. Burned is burned. Not executing is not executing.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Texas Vike wrote: He's a 39 year old vet in the final chapter of his career, whereas Waynes is a young, pedigreed player on whom we spent a high draft pick. Is it not normal that expectations would be different?

I'd say its a bell curve. I have about the same expectations when you compare experience vs physical ability.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:In terms of judging performance: No. Burned is burned. Not executing is not executing.

Sure. I see it that way too, but I can comprehend why there might be higher expectations for Waynes. It is frustrating to watch him be so clueless about where the ball is. He sometimes looks like he's on ice. He's a fast skater, but he can't control his speed or the rest of his body.

We'll have a much more difficult test this weekend, which will show us where we are at in our secondary.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote:
He's a 39 year old vet in the final chapter of his career, whereas Waynes is a young, pedigreed player on whom we spent a high draft pick. Is it not normal that expectations would be different?
I dont care how old Newman is. He's shown he can do it so why are we giving him a pass? "Oh yeah, Newman got burned but he's old so thats ok". No it doesnt work that way.

I guess what I find funny is we are talking about two plays out of how many where our defense didnt technically "dominate" an elite offense. Are we really that worried? It's not like we just played the Browns. It was Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints. And neither Trae Waynes or Terrance Newman put our defense/team in any kind of serious jeopardy so I'm not sure why this is even a conversation
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont care how old Newman is. He's shown he can do it so why are we giving him a pass? "Oh yeah, Newman got burned but he's old so thats ok". No it doesnt work that way.

I guess what I find funny is we are talking about two plays out of how many where our defense didnt technically "dominate" an elite offense. Are we really that worried? It's not like we just played the Browns. It was Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints. And neither Trae Waynes or Terrance Newman put our defense/team in any kind of serious jeopardy so I'm not sure why this is even a conversation
Because fans are bored and they are not used to not having anything negative to talk about. Wait until they lose, this board will light up like a Christmas tree.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont care how old Newman is. He's shown he can do it so why are we giving him a pass? "Oh yeah, Newman got burned but he's old so thats ok". No it doesnt work that way.

Some of you guys are so hypersensitive about any criticism of anything related to the MN Vikings. At least Wobby gets paid for his homerism, you suckers do it for free. :lol:

I am pleased with how our D played on Monday, but I can see why DP sees some areas for concern in Waynes.

Lastly, (cause I think I'm about done with this post-Moth board), hope you all enjoy the game Sunday! Skol Vikings!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

NFL fines Saints' Kenny Vaccaro, Alex Anzalone $24,309 each for Week 1 penalties
The league fined safety Kenny Vaccaro and rookie linebacker Alex Anzalone $24,309 each for unnecessary roughness penalties in Week One's contest against the Minnesota Vikings, according to a league spokesman.

Vaccaro's penalty occurred at the :22 mark of the second quarter, where he appeared to lead with his helmet before leveling Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

For the record, I think Waynes is a star in the making. I really don't worry about him. He limits YAC, plays the run well, anticipates plays well. I think he takes a big step forward this year. Newman OTOH, I thought his play dropped off alot in the 2nd half of the season last year. Curious to see where Brock plays on Sunday.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:For the record, I think Waynes is a star in the making. I really don't worry about him. He limits YAC, plays the run well, anticipates plays well. I think he takes a big step forward this year. Newman OTOH, I thought his play dropped off alot in the 2nd half of the season last year. Curious to see where Brock plays on Sunday.
He reminds me of Winfield with his run defense. I hope he can be at least as good as Winfield.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:For the record, I think Waynes is a star in the making. I really don't worry about him. He limits YAC, plays the run well, anticipates plays well.
Really? Wow. I don't know. I prefer my corners to prevent completions on occasion. Those other things are important, sure, and Waynes is a good run defender. But he kind of sucks at his primary responsibility right now. YMMV. I don't know what gives people such confidence in him. Newman was excellent last year, even if he faded down the stretch. Waynes was unquestionably worse in coverage. Now Newman is declining more and I've seen little growth from Waynes. I understand cutting Waynes some slack, but when opposing passers are completing such a high percentage of passes in his coverage I'm concerned. It was the same thing last year.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously want him to succeed. Having the next No Fly Zone would be awesome. But Waynes is a below average cover corner IMO. I'm hoping for improvement. Or for competition/rotation with Mac and Brock.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Some of you guys are so hypersensitive about any criticism of anything related to the MN Vikings. At least Wobby gets paid for his homerism, you suckers do it for free. :lol:

I am pleased with how our D played on Monday, but I can see why DP sees some areas for concern in Waynes.

Lastly, (cause I think I'm about done with this post-Moth board), hope you all enjoy the game Sunday! Skol Vikings!
No we aren't hypersensitive. It's just that we're at the point where guys are just picking apart little things and making a big deal out of them. Not a word was spoken about Newman getting burned by Ginn but the moment Waynes gets beat everyone is all concerned. Rhodes was beat on a deep ball in preseason. Newman was beat. Why is it that Waynes gets all the criticism?? It's not like this is a regular thing is what I'm saying. He isn't costing us games. It isn't consistent. If he got burned for like 3 deep balls and gave up two touchdowns, yeah it's concerning but my goodness. It was one play. And MIKE ZIMMER out of all people said he thought he did his job all night. How much more reassurance do we possibly need. He had no problem calling out Barr so why wouldn't he call out Waynes? Because he did his job. This is why I don't buy into the criticism. It's like some guys are just foaming at the mouth waiting for him to mess up just so they can call him a bust and say I told you so. He's a solid corner. Is he Rhodes? No. But he's a solid CB. And the fact that Chris cook was brought up in this thread makes me want to throw up. There is no comparison IMO. If you're a coach, do you go after Waynes or Rhodes?? Obviously Waynes. Did coaches go after Revis or Cromartie? Obviously Cromartie. He was a good CB but he wasn't Revis. So the whole Waynes gets picked on thing I don't buy. You have to go after someone. You have to throw the football. So you go after the lesser CB which is Waynes. It's common sense. It doesn't mean he isn't a good CB. Especially when he's not consistently giving up big plays. If anything it's the short stuff. Which is why I don't worry. Rant over
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote: Because fans are bored and they are not used to not having anything negative to talk about. Wait until they lose, this board will light up like a Christmas tree.
:lol: This couldn't be more true. I'm already dreading that day. I'm flying to Minnesota this Saturday and going to the Tampa game. I've been to two games in Minnesota and haven't seen them lose. Houston last year and Arizona the year AP went for 2000. Knock on wood I hope it's not this game. I'm also going to week 15 vs Cincy this year. Anyone going next weekend? Wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow board members
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: Really? Wow. I don't know. I prefer my corners to prevent completions on occasion. Those other things are important, sure, and Waynes is a good run defender. But he kind of sucks at his primary responsibility right now. YMMV. I don't know what gives people such confidence in him. Newman was excellent last year, even if he faded down the stretch. Waynes was unquestionably worse in coverage. Now Newman is declining more and I've seen little growth from Waynes. I understand cutting Waynes some slack, but when opposing passers are completing such a high percentage of passes in his coverage I'm concerned. It was the same thing last year.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously want him to succeed. Having the next No Fly Zone would be awesome. But Waynes is a below average cover corner IMO. I'm hoping for improvement. Or for competition/rotation with Mac and Brock.
I just rewatched the condensed game. Several of the completions against Waynes was during garbage time in the 4th. His one big mistake was the deep ball but he recovered well and the Saints ended up kicking a FG on that drive.

Of course I could be way off. I was one that thought Clemmings would make the team.