Week 1 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet »

Grashopa wrote: This is odd to me. Seems to me that Cook was the 3rd or 4th best offensive player just on our team Monday night (Bradford>Diggs>Thielen/Cook...). But and impressive debut nonetheless and i will never turn down accolades.
That should read rookie. Sorry.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Grashopa wrote: I always thought Chris Cook covered very well and was always in the right position but for some reason pass breakups and interceptions eluded him. Rhodes isn't any better in the interception department, but he covers so well that they don't pass his way and he breaks up the passes that do come his way or at least tackles immediately after the catch.
Our defense seems to be more about shutting down the opposition. There is nobody open, everyone is covered, etc. In order to get a INT it requires the QB to make a mistake. They can do things to bait that, but a QB like Brees isn't likely to fall for it. Big Ben this week probably will also not make the costly error. Still, if we keep them out of the end zone and do not allow them to maintain possession then we are likely to win. Think about what we saw on Monday, NO was in the redzone 5 times in that game, but came away with only 19 points. That is impressive defense IMO.

The big issue we had last season was that we'd get performances like what we saw on Monday from our Defense, but our offense struggled to hold up it's end of the bargain and score the 20-22 points needed to secure a win. That wasn't the case on Monday. Hopefully against better defensive opponents it will continue to not be the case.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JhKP1MQ ... source.gif

Trying to figure out how to add this gif.....at work lol
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Martavis Bryant & Darrius Heyward-Bey
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Holy crap I disagree vehemently.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Holy crap I disagree vehemently.
Who else besides Rhodes would you put on him?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Who else besides Rhodes would you put on him?

Rhodes plus a safety.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MikethePurple wrote: Rhodes plus a safety.
This. Rhodes should shadow him. Waynes on DHB or (gulp) Bryant.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

dead_poet wrote: This. Rhodes should shadow him. Waynes on DHB or (gulp) Bryant.
Yes, I'm still hoping that Waynes gets it figured out. He just allows too many completions. Granted he tackles well once they catch it but he really needs to work on ball awareness to prevent catches. And, I'm not just referring to when they were in obvious prevent mode. I think I heard a stat that he allowed catches on like 9 out of 11 targets?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If Waynes can get over closing his eyes, flailing his arms around like the ball is made of bees, and instead actually track the ball l think he'll be really good.

As he is now though I expect a rough game for our secondary.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Cliff wrote:If Waynes can get over closing his eyes, flailing his arms around like the ball is made of bees, and instead actually track the ball l think he'll be really good.

As he is now though I expect a rough game for our secondary.

:rofl: This is giving me the best mental picture and wishing I had some photo shopping software.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home.
What plays?

As far as the GB game, he was abysmal the entire time prior to that. Yes, he made that pick but you do realize he gave up seven passes for 98 yards and a touchdown, and also was penalized three times in coverage. In 2016 his four defensive pass interference flags tied for seventh-most in the league despite being a part-time player. His 63.0 rating on PFF 2016 grades ranked 85th among corners.
Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard.
Absolutely not. I don't expect Waynes to be at Rhodes' level. Few cornerbacks are. But when he gets picked on time and again and allows 80-90% of passes to be completed, come on. You don't have higher standards for a corner than that?
Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there.
But he also wasn't part of the solution. His coverage responsibility consistently caught the ball. Just because others also didn't give him any help doesn't absolve him of failing to prevent the completions.
As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense.
It was good coverage but, yet again, he didn't prevent the completion. That's the story with him. And that's the problem.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not sure OBJ would agree with your assessment that Rhodes struggles against quick receivers. That was the worst beatdown of a so-called superstar wideout that I have ever witnessed.
I put OBJ in the Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones mold. AB is more Percy Harvin/Stefon Diggs. Quick-twitch, great route-runners (though Harvin may not have qualified for the latter but hopefully I'm communicating the distinction).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

After seeing the practice report about Barr's hamstring, I'll give him a pass for the first game. He may have been gutting it out in the second half. Although I'm frankly sick of him always seemingly being injured. The fact that he didn't even practice in a limited capacity makes me skeptical he'll play on Sunday, which is not ideal for containing Bell and getting to Ben.