Week 1 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I agree with DP on Waynes and PHP on Barr. Hopefully Mack can step up, Newmann has another year in the tank, and this guy Brock can pick up the system very very quickly!

I am confused why several people are so down on Barr.....He had solid stats, a great TFL....I don't remember seeing him get burned at all in coverage or against the run....Are people just disappointed he didn't make any "wow" plays or is there something specific I'm missing????

Waynes on the other hand has me very nervous. He's fast but not fluid. Not quick. He gets lost when the ball is in the air. He is great in run support which helps.

by the way, how about that special teams play on punt coverage that Kearse made!!!!! Spectacular.

I do miss CPatt on ST. He had a great play as a gunner for the Raiders on Sunday, downing the ball on the 1. I agree with what others have said about Jet receiving the ball 9 yards deep in the EZ. I'll take it a step further....if Jet receives a KO ANYWHERE in the EZ, just kneel and we can start at the 25. Done.

PS -not saying it was a mistake not keeping CPatt because $5mil is A LOT to spend on a good gunner-great KO returner-bad WR...just saying I miss watching him on ST.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also agreed. That throw to Wright was unreal. Side arm and under pressure.
Gotta give credit to Wright too. That was a great catch.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Unsung: Xavier Rhodes.

I read that anyone he covered was only targeted 3 times, with 2 completions for 22 yards. I know he left with cramps at one point, but he got I.V. fluids and got back out there. If you have a corner who can take away a side of the field, it's huge for your defense.

We're going to need him to be at his best against Antonio Brown this coming Sunday.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Unsung: Xavier Rhodes.

I read that anyone he covered was only targeted 3 times, with 2 completions for 22 yards. I know he left with cramps at one point, but he got I.V. fluids and got back out there. If you have a corner who can take away a side of the field, it's huge for your defense.

We're going to need him to be at his best against Antonio Brown this coming Sunday.
I worry about that matchup. Rhodes struggles with the quick types of receivers (vs the tall/fast guys). I wonder what the results have been in the past. I have faith Zimmer will help minimize Brown. But that may open things up elsewhere. Just can't let Brown have a 7-catch, 150-yard day.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Cliff wrote:Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
:?:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thaumaturgist wrote: :?:
I was mostly joking (expressing your self via gif is kind of a 'thing'). A gif being An animated image that, in this case, expresses your reaction to the game. For example, when the offense actually moved the ball well and scored touchdowns;

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sam won NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Cliff wrote: I was mostly joking (expressing your self via gif is kind of a 'thing'). A gif being An animated image that, in this case, expresses your reaction to the game. For example, when the offense actually moved the ball well and scored touchdowns;

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: I worry about that matchup. Rhodes struggles with the quick types of receivers (vs the tall/fast guys). I wonder what the results have been in the past. I have faith Zimmer will help minimize Brown. But that may open things up elsewhere. Just can't let Brown have a 7-catch, 150-yard day.
Not sure OBJ would agree with your assessment that Rhodes struggles against quick receivers. That was the worst beatdown of a so-called superstar wideout that I have ever witnessed.

That being said, Antonio Brown is so far superior to OBJ, it's not even funny.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:Sam won NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
Yet ... neither of them were up for FedEx Air and Ground players of the week.

I do not understand such things.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Cliff wrote:Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote: I seriously get Chris Cook flashbacks. I'll give him until the bye.
Waynes is nowhere near Chris Cook. Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home. Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard. Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there. As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense. I'm not going to get on him for that. Either way, I'm not giving him until the bye. It's not like he's getting torched so bad that he's costing us games like Cook was half the time. It's a lot of dink and dunk for the most part. He rarely gets beat on the deep ball.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

dead_poet wrote:Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
This is odd to me. Seems to me that Cook was the 3rd or 4th best offensive player just on our team Monday night (Bradford>Diggs>Thielen/Cook...). But and impressive debut nonetheless and i will never turn down accolades.
Formerly AADPFan
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Waynes is nowhere near Chris Cook. Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home. Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard. Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there. As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense. I'm not going to get on him for that. Either way, I'm not giving him until the bye. It's not like he's getting torched so bad that he's costing us games like Cook was half the time. It's a lot of dink and dunk for the most part. He rarely gets beat on the deep ball.
I always thought Chris Cook covered very well and was always in the right position but for some reason pass breakups and interceptions eluded him. Rhodes isn't any better in the interception department, but he covers so well that they don't pass his way and he breaks up the passes that do come his way or at least tackles immediately after the catch.
Formerly AADPFan