2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
User avatar
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by IrishViking » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:15 am

Mothman wrote: :appl: I've been saying the same thing for years. I have no idea why so many fans and teams don't see it that way. Naturally, the best coach in the league gets it. :)

It's the most important position in the game. Treat it that way, from the top of the depth chart to the bottom!

I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.
0 x

Dames
Franchise Player
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Hanover, MN
Contact:

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Dames » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am

IrishViking wrote:I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.
I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.
0 x
Damian

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Mothman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 am

Dames wrote: I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.
I'd take that wager, IrishViking but the point was about the wisdom of the Patriots approach. It doesn't matter how Garoppolo would do elsewhere because he ended up in New England, a good team taking a smart approach to an important position. The latter is the main point.

If a team lacks a coaching staff and environment in which QBs can be successfully developed, that's obviously a serious problem that needs to be addressed.
0 x

Dames
Franchise Player
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Location: Hanover, MN
Contact:

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Dames » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Wow, Patriots may be down to their 4th QB, let's see how they manage this one for one game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664 ... and-return

Why do I still feel like they'll win anyway?
0 x
Damian

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by S197 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:04 pm

4th QB is... Edelman?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
0 x

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by jackal » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:02 am

The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3542
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by fiestavike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm

All the talk of QBs makes me wonder. Is Jacoby Brisset better than Taylor Heinecke? I doubt it.

Is Jimmy Garrapolo better than Shaun Hill? In one game, probably not. In the course of a season, probably so.

I'm not sure how much better the NE backup QB situation is than the Vikings. Both teams have now been ravaged with injuries at the position, but before that, I'd say Hill/Heinecke have about as much value as Jimmy G/Brisset.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3542
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by fiestavike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm

jackal wrote:The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....
Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Nunin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Carson Wentz...what a pick
.
0 x

User avatar
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by IrishViking » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Nunin wrote:Carson Wentz...what a pick
.

It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Nunin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm

IrishViking wrote:
It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.
It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.
0 x

User avatar
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by IrishViking » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Nunin wrote: It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.
I expect he will drop off slightly as teams "Figure him out" But he can play and has the tools. I would expect that he'll have a few rough games and some Philly fans will live up to their legacy and declare him a worthless bust after a 2 int game but yeah, one semi lucky hit can dramatically reduce a rebuild. Essentially they got their QB of the future and a 1st round pick for next year since it freed them up to trade Bradford.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by S197 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!
0 x

User avatar
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by IrishViking » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

S197 wrote:Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!

If we both keep playing well can you imagine the Sport storylines leading up to the Philly Vikings game?
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread

Post by Mothman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 am

fiestavike wrote: Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.
After a Super Bowl win, 5 division titles, 8 playoff appearances in 10 years, and a 106-56-1 record I'm sure Green Bay deeply regrets hiring a "dud' like McCarthy.
0 x

Locked