View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread 
Author Message
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 2993
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Mothman wrote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


Sorry Jim, didn't see your post, could I ask you to leave my post so Jackal can see my reply to his bet? We will take the discussion elsewhere.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Quote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


The Bet seems fair to me.. I am willing to back up what I say.. If Green Bay and its awesome
defense and superior Backup to Teddy should sweep the NFC playoffs, with ease...

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:04 pm
Profile
Packers Suck

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Posts: 2993
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
jackal wrote:
Quote:
Well, this has spun out of control... :(

Let's drop the Packers/division rivals stuff and return the thread to more general NFL news and notes.


The Bet seems fair to me.. I am willing to back up what I say.. If Green Bay and its awesome
defense and superior Backup to Teddy should sweep the NFC playoffs, with ease...


Let us discuss the bet in the smack forum.

_________________
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011


Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Sounds Larry Fitzgerald is playing his last season ....

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:44 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23682
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
jackal wrote:
Sounds Larry Fitzgerald is playing his last season ....


Canton-bound. Love Fitz. Such a pro. Would've been great to have him in Purple.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:50 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Quote:
Canton-bound. Love Fitz. Such a pro. Would've been great to have him in Purple.


Ohh yeah he would have looked good in Purple, for sure...

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:53 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Looks like RG3 lasted a game. I almost fee for the Browns fans. A list of QB's they have had and number of starts since 2005. 23 so far.

Code:
 Austin Davis (2)
 Brady Quinn (3)
 Brandon Weeden (5)
 Brian Hoyer (3)
 Bruce Gradkowski (1)
 Charlie Frye (6)
 Connor Shaw (1)
 Derek Anderson (10)
 Jake Delhomme (4)
 Johnny Manziel (8)
 Ken Dorsey (3)
 Seneca Wallace (7)
 Thad Lewis (1)
Brady Quinn (9)
Brandon Weeden (15)
Brian Hoyer (13)
Charlie Frye (13)
Colt McCoy (21)
Derek Anderson (24)
Jason Campbell (8)
Josh McCown (8)
Robert Griffin III (1)
Trent Dilfer (11)

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Raptorman wrote:
Looks like RG3 lasted a game. I almost fee for the Browns fans. A list of QB's they have had and number of starts since 2005. 23 so far.

Code:
 Austin Davis (2)
 Brady Quinn (3)
 Brandon Weeden (5)
 Brian Hoyer (3)
 Bruce Gradkowski (1)
 Charlie Frye (6)
 Connor Shaw (1)
 Derek Anderson (10)
 Jake Delhomme (4)
 Johnny Manziel (8)
 Ken Dorsey (3)
 Seneca Wallace (7)
 Thad Lewis (1)
Brady Quinn (9)
Brandon Weeden (15)
Brian Hoyer (13)
Charlie Frye (13)
Colt McCoy (21)
Derek Anderson (24)
Jason Campbell (8)
Josh McCown (8)
Robert Griffin III (1)
Trent Dilfer (11)


I feel for him that sucks and I feel for Browns fans. But I have always disliked RG3. He had that unearned swagger of a guy who really does think that he is the next big thing. He had a decent intro and has languished ever since. Guy seems like the sorta of person that doesn't think "I need to work harder and get better" but rather "I need to get my mojo back" Not a fan.


Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10706
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
LOL @ Rams

If SF could only play the whole season like they do game 1.


Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:38 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Posts: 1753
Location: Utah
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Bills firing OC Greg Roman. Week 2 seems pretty quick, but it's Buffalo with Rex Ryan, so not too shocking. Didn't know Roman was highest paid OC in the league.

I watched that game last night. Whatever their problem was with their OC, their defense got lit up.


Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:26 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
I watched about half the game and
the Jets moved at will with the pass.
I'm not sure what first half looked
like , but they didn't seem adjust their
defense at all.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:44 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10706
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Will Fuller with another 100 yard game

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:37 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17793
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
PurpleMustReign wrote:
If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.


:appl: I've been saying the same thing for years. I have no idea why so many fans and teams don't see it that way. Naturally, the best coach in the league gets it. :)

It's the most important position in the game. Treat it that way, from the top of the depth chart to the bottom!


Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:21 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Overall I like Spielman but lets face it for years we counted on Peterson to be our offense.
we could use some depth at QB and better OL.. It was nice to see use throw the ball tonight.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
If there was ever a good example for Spielman, etc. to look at for reasons to take the QB position seriously, it is happening in New England right now. Brady suspended, Garoppolo out with a broken collarbone. Their third string QB, who has to probably be the leader of the team now, is a guy they took in the third round, despite having one of the top five QBs of all time and a second rounder who was drafted a few years ago.
The QB position is not one that should be treated like every other position. Credit the Patriots for understanding that.


:appl: I've been saying the same thing for years. I have no idea why so many fans and teams don't see it that way. Naturally, the best coach in the league gets it. :)

It's the most important position in the game. Treat it that way, from the top of the depth chart to the bottom!



I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.


Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:15 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Posts: 376
Location: Hanover, MN
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
IrishViking wrote:
I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.

I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.

_________________
Damian


Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Dames wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
I don't completely buy this. the QB position is a very delicate spot and belichick is a hell of a coach. I would wager that if Garoppolo had been drafted on about 28 other teams he would have flamed out and been trade.

Hell, I think given an offseason He could make me ready to play at QB. So while I think the position should be taken seriously, it also helps to have a coach that can get that level of production out of a player. I have no doubt that Ponders career would be completely different if he had ended up on the Patriots somehow.

I tend to agree. Yes, they are drafting QBs, but I think the success has a lot more to do with the system than the talent they are acquiring. That said, I definitely agree it's been mishandled by the Vikings management.


I'd take that wager, IrishViking but the point was about the wisdom of the Patriots approach. It doesn't matter how Garoppolo would do elsewhere because he ended up in New England, a good team taking a smart approach to an important position. The latter is the main point.

If a team lacks a coaching staff and environment in which QBs can be successfully developed, that's obviously a serious problem that needs to be addressed.


Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am
Posts: 376
Location: Hanover, MN
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Wow, Patriots may be down to their 4th QB, let's see how they manage this one for one game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664530-jacoby-brissett-injury-updates-on-patriots-qbs-thumb-and-return

Why do I still feel like they'll win anyway?

_________________
Damian


Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10706
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
4th QB is... Edelman?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:04 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11408
Location: California
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:02 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
All the talk of QBs makes me wonder. Is Jacoby Brisset better than Taylor Heinecke? I doubt it.

Is Jimmy Garrapolo better than Shaun Hill? In one game, probably not. In the course of a season, probably so.

I'm not sure how much better the NE backup QB situation is than the Vikings. Both teams have now been ravaged with injuries at the position, but before that, I'd say Hill/Heinecke have about as much value as Jimmy G/Brisset.


Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
jackal wrote:
The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....


Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.


Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.


Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.


Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
IrishViking wrote:
Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.

It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.


Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Nunin wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
Nunin wrote:
Carson Wentz...what a pick
.



It is insane. Although not unheralded. We will need to see if he can adjust once the defenses have enough tape on him to adjust to him. Seriously though, Philly got a heck of pick.

I am really glad we will have half a season of footage on him before we play. It'll be something, maybe not enough but Zimmer will have something to work with.

It's also intriguing to wonder if he would have seen the field much at all this year if the Vikes hadn't made the trade. It makes for a really interesting sub-plot should these teams both make the playoffs.
-
I expected Philly to be muddling through a rebuild/restructure after the Chip Kelly fiasco, but it looks like they've landed on their feet.
It will be interesting to see how Wentz does in the later divisional matchups.


I expect he will drop off slightly as teams "Figure him out" But he can play and has the tools. I would expect that he'll have a few rough games and some Philly fans will live up to their legacy and declare him a worthless bust after a 2 int game but yeah, one semi lucky hit can dramatically reduce a rebuild. Essentially they got their QB of the future and a 1st round pick for next year since it freed them up to trade Bradford.


Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10706
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!


Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:44 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
S197 wrote:
Both teams seem to have made out on the trade, albeit it is still very early. The only two undefeated teams left in the NFC were trade partners for starting QB's a week before the season started!



If we both keep playing well can you imagine the Sport storylines leading up to the Philly Vikings game?


Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2016 NFL Season General NFL Thread
fiestavike wrote:
jackal wrote:
The Bears offense really is struggling without Forte ...

I know they lost some key defenders .. I am wondering if the Bears ownership
would have the patience to let Fox build ....


Hopefully not. Fox and Zimmer are clearly the best coaches in the NFC North. I'd love to see the Bears panick and hire a dud like Caldwell or McCarthy.


After a Super Bowl win, 5 division titles, 8 playoff appearances in 10 years, and a 106-56-1 record I'm sure Green Bay deeply regrets hiring a "dud' like McCarthy.


Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:57 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.