Saints @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Saints @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by IrishViking »

In the penalty department,

I am happy with the penalty calls against the saints d, that helmet to helmet #### is actually pretty easy to avoid, in the grand scheme of things.

I am annoyed at the roughing the passer call, as far as low blows go, that was about as accidental and non threatening as it can get.

personally, I was pleasantly surprised when the TD was upheld. I thought for sure his reversed hand was gonna cost us.

I almost feel like a Packers fan :lol:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I can't stop watching the highlights on Vikings.com.

It's been so long since we had anything resembling an explosive offense. I honestly don't know how to react except to keep watching like some obsessed 40-year-old hermit living in his mother's basement.
Haha I'm the same way right now. I've watched them at least 10 times between last night and today
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Refocused: Minnesota Vikings 29, New Orleans Saints 19(PFF grades)

TOP 5 GRADES:
WR Stefon Diggs, 88.9 overall grade

QB Sam Bradford, 87.4 overall grade

S Harrison Smith, 86.8 overall grade

WR Adam Thielen, 86.8 overall grade

T Riley Reiff, 83.1 overall grade
Good stuff.

Surprised they didn't mention Dalvin Cook or Xavier Rhodes. You didn't hear Rhodes' name mentioned much last night, and that's for a reason. According to Vikings.com, the Saints threw at Rhodes only 3 times last night, completing 2 for 22 yards. Cook's drops probably hurt him, but man he was great otherwise.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:Man what a great game to be at! Solid performances all around (except the missed PAT). I had a really nice vantage point and I noticed Treadwell runs routes well, Sam just always looks Diggs and Thielens way. Not complaining just interesting to see, he definitely can contribute more.
Agreed 100%. If you go back and watch the highlights, the long catch Thielen had right before half, Treadwell had his guy burnt on a double move. Would've been a TD if Thielen's route didnt open up so quickly
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Great game!!

I will temper my excitement for the O until they do well against a team with a decent D, but this was still great to watch. Again I will temper my enthusiasm but it definitely looks like a different O than last year. I just hope this team can stay healthy

Why the hate for. Barr???!!! 8 tackles, 3 solo, including a great TFL to stop a drive. I thought he looked good.

I loved watching AD for 10 years but man Cook looks like the real deal. Can't wait to see him get in the EZ. LOVED the blitz pickup early in the game. I could really see AP becoming a distraction for the Saints this season. Game 1 and he already looked really frustrated on the sidelines. 6 carries for 18 yards. He really doesn't fit this offense and he won't be happy with 6 carries per game. This has the potential of being a volatile and an ugly situation

Looking forward to next week against a legit D!!!!!!
Barr had 3 tackles , Waynes was the leading tackler with 9 tackles.
There was 7 players with 3 tackles.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Wow Bradford was perfect posting a 158.3 passer rating when he was under pressure
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Awesome game. The Saints D is certainly not the stingiest we'll face this year, but their pass rushers are not awful so there is quite a bit to be excited about. Cameron is a strong player and Remmers held his own against him.

Fun Defensive story line: Saints were the best Red Zone offense last year. We only let them get a TD once and that was in garbage time.

Next week against Steelers will be a good test, but we are luck to get them week 2 when their offense isn't quite in mid-season form .

SKOL!!!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It is encouraging that Cook only had two carries of negative yards.
Also, I loved that screen to McKinnon. That's the kind of stuff he needs to do, not just the basic runs.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Wow Bradford was perfect posting a 158.3 passer rating when he was under pressure
Interestingly enough, Sam Bradford is NOT up for Fed Ex Air and Ground Player of the Week. Matt Ryan is.

Neither is Dalvin Cook. Leonard Fournette is.

Wonder if they actually wait to see Monday's results.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I mean 127 yards and no TDs isn't usually gonna get attention for ground player of the week.

That said, I loved Cook, he looked awesome and it was refreshing to just watch someone hit the holes rather than wait wait wait... tfl.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Interestingly enough, Sam Bradford is NOT up for Fed Ex Air and Ground Player of the Week. Matt Ryan is.

Neither is Dalvin Cook. Leonard Fournette is.

Wonder if they actually wait to see Monday's results.
There is no way they wait until Monday I wouldnt think. Ryan threw for 1 TD and nearly lost to the Bears
-Chazz Palminteri
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Great game!!

I will temper my excitement for the O until they do well against a team with a decent D, but this was still great to watch. Again I will temper my enthusiasm but it definitely looks like a different O than last year. I just hope this team can stay healthy

Why the hate for. Barr???!!! 8 tackles, 3 solo, including a great TFL to stop a drive. I thought he looked good.

I loved watching AD for 10 years but man Cook looks like the real deal. Can't wait to see him get in the EZ. LOVED the blitz pickup early in the game. I could really see AP becoming a distraction for the Saints this season. Game 1 and he already looked really frustrated on the sidelines. 6 carries for 18 yards. He really doesn't fit this offense and he won't be happy with 6 carries per game. This has the potential of being a volatile and an ugly situation

Looking forward to next week against a legit D!!!!!!
Agreed on all points. Was thinking the same thing about AD: not going to be satisfied with 6 carries a game and is unlikely to stay quiet about it. Happy it's not the Vikes' problem.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It is encouraging that Cook only had two carries of negative yards.
I was looking at this earlier. While it is true that Cook lost yardage only twice, he did have 10 carries where the total gained was 5 yards. Not drawing any conclusions since one of the greatest backs of all time, Barry Sanders, notoriously holds the NFL record for most carries for negative yardage.

Here's how Cook's game breaks down by number of yards per carry:

Negative: 2
No gain: 3
1-2 yards: 5
3-4 yards: 4
5-6 yards: 3
7-9 yards: 1
10-15 yards: 2
15+ yards: 2

Total Yardage:

10 carries for a total of 5 yards = .5 YPC
8 carries for a total of 37 yards = 4.6 YPC
18 carries for a total of 42 yards = 2.3 YPC
4 carries for a total of 85 yards = 20.3 YPC

Cook's carries by number of yards gained in the order they occurred:

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I would like to see the Vikings lock up Kendricks and Hunter soon.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Maelstrom88 wrote:I would like to see the Vikings lock up Kendricks and Hunter soon.
yes